Need to unload my goodness...

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
My phone is apparently bursting at the seems with pictures, videos, and applications. I can't even take another picture/video or even update applications because there's no more room. Thought, as with every other phone I have, I should plug 'er in via USB and let the spice flow to my computer, but no, can't. It actually shows up as a camera. When I open the camera, er, phone, I see a bunch of folders but nothing's inside for me to quickly move to my desktop. So what does I needs ta do to alleviate my bloat and restore order to the cosmos, er, camera, er, phone? Thanks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That camera is something called MTP. Click into it and look for the DCIM folder. That's where all your pictures and videos are. Drag them off onto your computer.

If you want to see your phone's storage as a hard drive, go into settings and under development enable USB debugging mode. Then when you plug your phone in, drag down your status bar, click the notification and on the next screen click the button for mass USB storage.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
When I first tried to offload files from my phone, I did just as you said, plugged 'er in and clicked around on the folders onscreen but they were all empty. There was nothing to drag off. So unless I've missed something on that point, it didn't work. Your other option did work, as I see all the folders and this time they actually contain files. Wee! Kinda strange, maybe, but my computer now reads my phone as two separate drives. Can I assume it's reading my phone and its SD card as the two drives? And, am I to understand that from now on if I want to offload future goodness, I should go into 'debug mode'? Oh, and should I turn off 'debug mode' when I'm done? Thanks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When I first tried to offload files from my phone, I did just as you said, plugged 'er in and clicked around on the folders onscreen but they were all empty. There was nothing to drag off. So unless I've missed something on that point, it didn't work. Your other option did work, as I see all the folders and this time they actually contain files. Wee! Kinda strange, maybe, but my computer now reads my phone as two separate drives. Can I assume it's reading my phone and its SD card as the two drives? And, am I to understand that from now on if I want to offload future goodness, I should go into 'debug mode'? Oh, and should I turn off 'debug mode' when I'm done? Thanks!

You must have an external SD card in your phone as well, which is why you see two drives.

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
After I untethered my phone from the computer, a lot of my appliations "...is not installed..." apparently somehow moved to my SD card, at least that's what the icons said. After a bit of time they had reinstalled themselves. Why is that? Oh, and my recently downloaded 'Google Play' application disappeared after I disconnected my phone, apparently for good. Why is that?

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
OP,

Do you have an apptosd application. If so, that would be the cause of it. I recommend just having all your application installed in your phone storage and have all your videos n pictures installed in your external sd drive. Having app installed in your external drive causes a lot of issues such as widget not working correctely, application not opening correctely. You should do what the person above suggested. Go into setting, wireless options, go to your storage usb, the select usb debugging mounting. That will make your phone and card visible as drive on your computer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Applications are by default stored on your phone. But many options are available which allows users to put it on their sd card. Go into settings->application->manage applications. You can click on the individual application to check if it is store in your phone or sd card

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. Am I to understand that if my phone gets too full, applications are automatically moved to the SD card in order to make room on the phone itself? That's what seemed to be happening as my phone kept getting full of pictures, videos, and everything else. And how does one go about removing applications? I see the option to uninstall, but that only means it's uninstalled, not completely gone. Does it really even matter?

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Argh! Okay, trying to, yet again, unload a crap-load of pictures and video from my phone to my computer. Going through the before-mentioned steps ain't working like it did last time. Something change with the update to ICS? Help! Thanks.

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
remember though. the SDcard is NOT the same as the external SDcard (the removable micro sd card in the battery area).

The SDCard is the internal storage area on the phone.

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Still can't "unload my goodness" as I once did via the 'debugging mode' as suggested by this thread, so any ideas as to why or how to remedy the situation? Something about updating to ICS? No clue. Help!

JAROAM

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
That camera is something called MTP. Click into it and look for the DCIM folder. That's where all your pictures and videos are. Drag them off onto your computer.

If you want to see your phone's storage as a hard drive, go into settings and under development enable USB debugging mode. Then when you plug your phone in, drag down your status bar, click the notification and on the next screen click the button for mass USB storage.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

The above-mentioned see-as-hardrive/debugging mode no longer works to let me get pics, videos, et al off my phone. Did the first time. Am I doing something wrong?

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I need to move some files back and forth, and my computer doesn't use wifi. Has anyone found a solution or workaround for this issue?