How to change to just charging or disk drive

epicmoi

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I cannot find the option to choose just charging or disk drive mount when attached to PC.
It goes into MTP mode.
Swiping the notification bar gives mo options.
I have followed suggestions to menu>settings>usb utilities. it says "tap the button below to copy files between the computer and the SD Card" The button is "Connect storage to PC" I tap it and get this message:
Attention USB is connected. Remove the cable.

I have searched google and forums and nothing I find matches what I am getting.
Any ideas.
JEM

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
did you come from an HTC phone? I had that option with my droid incredible but not with this phone. You can find info if you search on mtp I think. I tried to look into a bunch of things including compatibility. I know there are storage benefits of mtp but unfortunately convenience takes a hit in my opinion.

epicmoi

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have to read up on MTP. I don't know it.
Yes, I came from HTC Evo 4G. What exactly is the inconvenience?
My brain is plastic enough to learn new ways, I hope.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I cannot find the option to choose just charging or disk drive mount when attached to PC.
It goes into MTP mode.
Swiping the notification bar gives mo options.
I have followed suggestions to menu>settings>usb utilities. it says "tap the button below to copy files between the computer and the SD Card" The button is "Connect storage to PC" I tap it and get this message:
Attention USB is connected. Remove the cable.

I have searched google and forums and nothing I find matches what I am getting.
Any ideas.
JEM

Try going to settings, then Wireless and Networking, then USB utilities.

There select 'connect storage to pc '!

I think that turns off the MTP and goes into regular USB hookup.

But I'm not sure of you also have to turn on USB debugging.

That's in settings again, under applications and then goto the bottom of the screen and open Developer. From there check off 'USB debugging'.

Try that.

BTW, I've noticed a difference in words copying files in either mode.

But I usually just bypass the cable and copy files wirelessly with a Samba setup or one of my file managers that can see my pc's network shares.

Rob

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Go into settings under development and enable USB debugging. This will disable MTP and allow you to manually select mass USB storage (or not and just charge).

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have to read up on MTP. I don't know it.
Yes, I came from HTC Evo 4G. What exactly is the inconvenience?
My brain is plastic enough to learn new ways, I hope.

I'm certainly no expert but I just find that in some respects, mtp is not as compatible. For example, every damn time I plug the phone into my usb port on my car it says device not supported. My droid incredible used to hook up great and I could access my music from the radio. There are not settings that I can find that can change it so that my phone acts as a disc drive and my phone can recognize it like my droid incredible could. I think this is all related to mtp. That being said, when I hook it up to my computer it is recognized and I can access my files. Also, I think the way the phone designates internal, external and sd card memory very confusing.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So there is no function for this? It's a workaround?

Yeah I'd call it a workaround. You really shouldn't have to enable USB debugging, which is a developer tool, in order to disable MTP. Samsung is basically forcing you into MTP on their ROM in my view. There is no option for "charge only" when you plug into a computer or other media device like you find on HTC Sense. I'd say Samsung fails here.

Now, I can't remember how it works on the GB ROM (it's been awhile heh), but on ICS, things have changed a little bit. When you connect, you can now click the MTP notification for additional options. But it still doesn't let you turn off MTP. Now you have the option to select either Media mode or Camera mode, as you can see by the attached screenshot. Again, this is on the current leaked ICS build for this phone which is still under development.

I don't know how this new (again, I think it's new) choice between media and camera may affect plugging the device into things like a car stereo via USB, but it may help. I guess we'll know relatively soon.

epicmoi

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I find this so confusing. I think the terminology is part of the problem. When I have MTP connected it says it is synchronizing. So I would expect to find my pictures, for example, somewhere on my computer. However, if I do not manually copy and paste the the files, in either MTP mode or USB storage, they are not copied. Is there something I have to set up on the computer? Windows 7.
I never get the synch thing right!
JEM

larry.grey

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue and found that using the correct USB cable made the difference between whether it would just charge or connect as a storage device to my computer. When I switched to the cable that came with the device, it worked like a charm.

wrspinetti

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone, Try the following Settings > Connect to PC > touch "Default connection type" and select the default you want to use. Next time you plug it in it will perform this action as the default. Hope this helps!!!

SHEETAL POONACHA

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to change to just charging or disk drive from Galaxy Grand 2

Hi Guys,

Can anyone please let me know how do I just plug my Grand 2 to PC in Disk drive mode??? I have lost important photos and I wanted to get back through Photo Recovery Shop App but due to improper settings in my phone it's not allowing me to connect as disk drive. could anyone help me???