How to clean up unwanted apps

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
hello
yes, i know it takes rooting to do this, and I have no clue how to do so. I've come across a few threads that are fairly long, and get complicated.

all i want to do is remove some of the unneeded stock apps--sprint id, other sprint things, etc. I dont want a new ROM yet, just to clean up.

is there a post with instructions for doing this?

thanks

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
To just gain root access you need to follow this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1433101

If you're on el29, that's the method you'll use, if not tell me and I'll show you the even easier way. With the method I gave you, use the no data one and it will be as if nothing changed but you gained root access and the superuser app.

Here's a video walkthrough of rooting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pWjmKCsoc

After you're rooted, there are a few methods to get rid of bloatware. A recommended one is to install titanium backup and either freeze or completely delete the apps. If you delete them, make a backup first in case you need them later.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
After you're rooted, there are a few methods to get rid of bloatware. A recommended one is to install titanium backup and either freeze or completely delete the apps. If you delete them, make a backup first in case you need them later.

what does freezing do? Takes up space but it is unusable?
I've read in other threads that if you remove apps and an OTA update comes along (say ICS, for example :)) that it will not work since apps are missing.

In the instructions you posted, it mentions "If you want CWM". What is CWM?

Last edited:

wodiamond

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I've read in other threads that if you remove apps and an OTA update comes along (say ICS, for example :)) that it will not work since apps are missing.

CWM is Clockwork Mod and is a tool used to flash different ROMS. Since you don't want to change the ROM and are just concerned with getting rid of the bloatware, I would just follow the link above.

Insofar as updates (OTA's, etc) are concerned, I have never had any issue with them while my phone was just rooted. However, if you do begin going further, make sure to check compatibility on pages such as this.

Bill

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Freezing hides the App from view and stops it from running in the background, if it's an App that would do so normally. So yes, "takes up space but it is unusable" is a good way to say it. But the space thing isn't really an issue, since these are system applications which have their own internal memory partition, so it's not like you could use that space for something else like photos, music, or User Apps (Apps you install).

Personally, I use TB to first freeze an App, then I use the phone for a day or two. If I don't experience any problems, I then back it up then fully uninstall it.

Regarding OTA updates, yes removing system Apps can often cause an update to fail. But since the development community will likely already have the update by the time it's officially released, you can just flash it manually.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

Freezing just stops the app from running at all and it won't show up. If you want you can completely delete it, but I'd still back it up first. CWM is clockwork mod. It is a custom recovery which you can use to install custom roms or make a complete system wide backup of your current setup.

Edit: I just noticed that jaywill beat me to it :p

Reactions: fofjjsr

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is possible, but I know when I had my EVO I was actually able to reverse the root if I wanted too, so when an OTA was released I could just unroot to make sure the update goes smoothly. Don't know if this is possible on the Epic Touch though.

Last edited:

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is possible, but I know when I had my EVO I was actually able to reverse the root if I wanted too, so when an OTA was released I could just unroot to make sure the update goes smoothly. Don't know if this is possible on the Epic Touch though.

You can unroot pretty easily depending on if you have flashed anything. You can always one click Odin back to stock unrooted if needed.

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
sn1per--sorry to regurgitate this. I think I am going to do this tomorrow. In the instructions, it mentions to disable the PIN code. I have a security pattern imposed by my Outlook Exchange email account (my company's IT policy). Can/should I remove it before this? Will Outlook let me? Or do I perhaps need to remove that outlook account, remove the pin, and then Odin?

Thanks

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
sn1per--sorry to regurgitate this. I think I am going to do this tomorrow. In the instructions, it mentions to disable the PIN code. I have a security pattern imposed by my Outlook Exchange email account (my company's IT policy). Can/should I remove it before this? Will Outlook let me? Or do I perhaps need to remove that outlook account, remove the pin, and then Odin?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's mostly just a precaution that can be ignored most likely without problems, but I haven't had to deal with an exchange account so I don't know if it's any different.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: nabril1569

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
ok. i rooted, ridiculously easy, no data loss.
i downloaded the free version of titanium backup, but it doesn't let you freeze. i will pay as it sounds worth it.
so.
can i know start freezing/backing up all the sprint apps (id, tv, music, etc) to eventually remove them? can those apps be removed?
i also saw some apps listed with strange names (helv neue, perso 2.3.6, piko tts). what are those?

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
ok. i rooted, ridiculously easy, no data loss.
i downloaded the free version of titanium backup, but it doesn't let you freeze. i will pay as it sounds worth it.
so.
can i know start freezing/backing up all the sprint apps (id, tv, music, etc) to eventually remove them? can those apps be removed?
i also saw some apps listed with strange names (helv neue, perso 2.3.6, piko tts). what are those?

You can freeze or back up and delete those sprint apps. Some of them can be uninstalled normally actually. As for those strange named ones just don't mess with them if you don't know what they are because titanium backup gives you access to all your system files and deleting something randomly could stop you device from booting.

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to hide icons without removing apps? I don't want to remove battery status app, for example, but I want to hide the icon.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to hide icons without removing apps? I don't want to remove battery status app, for example, but I want to hide the icon.

If you're using a custom launcher, yes. I use go launcher and hide any apps I don't want to show up in the app drawer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol