To preempt this, I am coming off of an HTC Evo that I got on it's opening day in June 2010...I have grown to love that phone (with some issues on the camcorder that I can deal with). But overall, the Evo has been solid and has a full list of likes versus dislikes.

Now to the Epic 4G Touch...

I like the size, the speed and the screen (the screen is f'in hot!). Having a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, there are a lot of similar features that I very much like so my list of dislikes are very small, but significant for me. I want to see if there are workarounds that DO NOT include rooting (I will not root the phone, so don't suggest it).

Dislikes:

Auxiliary plug to my car stereo while connected to bluetooth...when I have it plugged in to the phone and am listening to music, unlike the Evo, if someone calls me, I cannot answer the call via bluetooth unless I unplug the aux plug to my stereo. Otherwise, the call goes through the car's speakers and the bluetooth does not connect. I absolutely need to get this fixed or I will return the phone...HELP!

No native MP3 player? WTF?

Very long lag time when I move phone from my head to disconnect a call... Not that big of an issue but has been annoying.

There a few other minor ones but the phone calls while I'm plugged into the car is huge...

If you guys can help with that I will be happy.

Lastly, I also may take this back to wait for the HTC One X...is anyone else thinking that this may be a good move?

Thank you all for your time.

Respectfully
    03-23-2012 02:47 PM
    I can comment on the MP3 player, look at it this way you can choose one from the Play Store that suits your needs/likes instead of a pre installed piece of bloatware that you may not like.
    03-23-2012 02:56 PM
    Lastly, I also may take this back to wait for the HTC One X...is anyone else thinking that this may be a good move?

Respectfully
    That's a tough one to answer, but my take is, if you're not 100% satisfied with this device I'd return it, and stick it out with your EVO until the One X hits Sprint. The downside there of course is the possibility that the One X has a feature or two you dislike. But you have a good experience with HTC, so it may be a better move so see what they bring to the table this year.
    03-23-2012 03:17 PM
    To preempt this, I am coming off of an HTC Evo that I got on it's opening day in June 2010...I have grown to love that phone (with some issues on the camcorder that I can deal with). But overall, the Evo has been solid and has a full list of likes versus dislikes.

Now to the Epic 4G Touch...

I like the size, the speed and the screen (the screen is f'in hot!). Having a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, there are a lot of similar features that I very much like so my list of dislikes are very small, but significant for me. I want to see if there are workarounds that DO NOT include rooting (I will not root the phone, so don't suggest it).

Dislikes:

Auxiliary plug to my car stereo while connected to bluetooth...when I have it plugged in to the phone and am listening to music, unlike the Evo, if someone calls me, I cannot answer the call via bluetooth unless I unplug the aux plug to my stereo. Otherwise, the call goes through the car's speakers and the bluetooth does not connect. I absolutely need to get this fixed or I will return the phone...HELP!

Very long lag time when I move phone from my head to disconnect a call... Not that big of an issue but has been annoying.

There a few other minor ones but the phone calls while I'm plugged into the car is huge...

If you guys can help with that I will be happy.

Respectfully
    I don't think there is anything that you can do but unplug the auxiliary plug. In my opinion, this is the one area of the phone that is garbage. You can't select charge only, so everytime I plug it into my usb in the car it says device not supported. I can't make a call using just voice commands because it won't access vlingo. I'm assuming it is because I am password protected but have to be for work. I just can never get it to work properly. I think this phone does a little better over the newer ford sync systems but that still has issues as well. This is the one area that my droid incredible blew this phone out of the water (of course until they sent down an update that hosed my bluetooth which drove me to this phone - but prior to the update everything worked great). Good luck.
    03-23-2012 03:41 PM
    Isn't "Music" a native MP3 player?

But to your lag time when on a call problem, if you go under accessibility, there's an option to make the power button hang up calls. It's very useful.
    03-23-2012 06:37 PM
    That's a tough one to answer, but my take is, if you're not 100% satisfied with this device I'd return it, and stick it out with your EVO until the One X hits Sprint. The downside there of course is the possibility that the One X has a feature or two you dislike. But you have a good experience with HTC, so it may be a better move so see what they bring to the table this year.
    I'm kind of thinking that. So far, I really do like the phone, but I will need to tinker with a bit more until I make that decision. I'm going to give it until next Wednesday...if I haven't figured out workarounds, then I will ditch it. Thanks.
    03-23-2012 08:50 PM
    take it back and wait for the galaxy s3. That's what i would do
    03-24-2012 02:55 AM
    This phone is capable of linking to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously. If your car is able to play your music via Bluetooth, as mine is, then I would give it a try. The phone will then recognize your hands free Bluetooth link for calls, as a separate entity. Basically, my car has a Bluetooth setting for media and another for phone calls. They work together beautifully...sometimes it takes a few times for my phone to link to both. I just keep turning Bluetooth on/off until it syncs with both.
    03-24-2012 04:00 AM
    I also wish there was a way to change the way the Bluetooth works, especially since I drive a commercial truck and I now have to use a hands free device by federal law. I've kind of learned to deal with it the way it is, but it is still annoying.

You can still answer calls with a BT headset and talk through the mic on the headset, but the audio of the person you are talking to comes through your speakers instead of the headset.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    03-25-2012 10:04 PM
    I also wish there was a way to change the way the Bluetooth works, especially since I drive a commercial truck and I now have to use a hands free device by federal law. I've kind of learned to deal with it the way it is, but it is still annoying.

You can still answer calls with a BT headset and talk through the mic on the headset, but the audio of the person you are talking to comes through your speakers instead of the headset.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    So if you are saying what I think you are, when the call comes in as my phone is plugged in to the Aux jack on my stereo, if I answer the call when my Bluetooth, the caller will hear me through the headset mic but I will hear through the stereo speakers? if so, then cool.

Dragon lady...if you have it linked to your stereo via bluetooth (which I can) can you also talk through the stereo but choose to use your headset?

Thanks.
    03-26-2012 04:34 PM
    If you don't mind waiting for the X, I'd say return this. If you live near a decent sized city, you'll probably have LTE before next Spring.

As much as I love the ET, I'll be ditching it when LTE arrives. Not going to buy the first LTE they have, but I suspect I'll have one this fall. Might be the X, but I really dislike the idea of an unremovable battery.
    03-26-2012 09:06 PM
    Personally I got this phone off of a Samsung moment. I fell in love with this and really I could only see replacing it with the S3 for the quad chip and possible wireless charging.

Music was a default app and I preferred the Amazon mp3 app to cloud load my music and then Winamp to play it because it ties into LastFM. The mp3 thing is all preferences.

From what I know of other people most people who have spent long enough with HTC devices get into them. The same with Samsung people. I have a printer, tv, bluray player, and cell all Samsung because they integrate. So really it just a matter if any model will correct the issues you have.
    03-26-2012 09:52 PM
    So if you are saying what I think you are, when the call comes in as my phone is plugged in to the Aux jack on my stereo, if I answer the call when my Bluetooth, the caller will hear me through the headset mic but I will hear through the stereo speakers? if so, then cool.

Dragon lady...if you have it linked to your stereo via bluetooth (which I can) can you also talk through the stereo but choose to use your headset?

Thanks.
    I got this...I looked into the bluetooth features a little more closely and you can have two devices connected at one time to the phone. You the long press on a connected device, choose "options", and under "profiles", it allows you to use the phone for audio, media or both.

So I now have the phone set up to play music through my stereo via bluetooth, and all calls come in through the headset without issue. The nice thing is that the phone lowers the volume when the call comes in and then when I hang up the call, it raises the volume back to where it was before the call.

Great features now that I have been able to play with it. No more complaints.
    03-27-2012 10:15 AM
    I got this...I looked into the bluetooth features a little more closely and you can have two devices connected at one time to the phone. You the long press on a connected device, choose "options", and under "profiles", it allows you to use the phone for audio, media or both.

So I now have the phone set up to play music through my stereo via bluetooth, and all calls come in through the headset without issue. The nice thing is that the phone lowers the volume when the call comes in and then when I hang up the call, it raises the volume back to where it was before the call.

Great features now that I have been able to play with it. No more complaints.
    Good stuff! I'm happy to hear you found a solution that works well for you.
    03-27-2012 11:50 AM
    Good stuff! I'm happy to hear you found a solution that works well for you.
    Jaywill72 - maybe you can answer this or I can pose this question to all others reading this thread?

How do I make my phone always auto connect to a bluetooth device? My HTC did it...If I get in my car with my phone, it connected with my stereo or headset without needing to be prompt to do so. My wife's Samsung Epic (qwerty keyboard model) auto connects with her bluetooth. But not this one and I have searched, but cannot find a solution.

Any help out there?

Thanks.
    03-27-2012 03:52 PM
    Jaywill72 - maybe you can answer this or I can pose this question to all others reading this thread?

How do I make my phone always auto connect to a bluetooth device? My HTC did it...If I get in my car with my phone, it connected with my stereo or headset without needing to be prompt to do so. My wife's Samsung Epic (qwerty keyboard model) auto connects with her bluetooth. But not this one and I have searched, but cannot find a solution.

Any help out there?

Thanks.
    Once paired, assuming you have Bluetooth toggled on on your phone, it should be auto-connecting to your device when it's powered on and in range. I wonder if you're seeing a side-effect to having your phone actively connect with more than one device at the same time.
    03-27-2012 04:58 PM
    Glad that I was able to help! That is exactly what happens when i use both, the volume lowers when a call comes in, and music goes exactly back when call is over!!

And yes, as long as your Bluetooth is toggled on, when you get into car, it will automatically re-connect, as long as it was paired before.
    03-27-2012 07:17 PM
    Although, after re-reading your post, I realized that you are using a Bluetooth headset. Glad it works, but I am not using a headset. My hands free link for taking calls is built into my car...no headset. so I don't know if that affects automatic pairing to both.
    03-27-2012 07:22 PM
    Most of what you mention is a difference between Samsung's Touchwiz and HTC's Sense software. While a lot of people think Sense is over complicated, it DOES have a lot more functionality. If I were you, I'd take the phone back since you won't be happy with Touchwiz, especially if you won't Root (and you shouldn't have to root to get the functionality that you want.)
    03-28-2012 09:29 AM
    Most of what you mention is a difference between Samsung's Touchwiz and HTC's Sense software. While a lot of people think Sense is over complicated, it DOES have a lot more functionality. If I were you, I'd take the phone back since you won't be happy with Touchwiz, especially if you won't Root (and you shouldn't have to root to get the functionality that you want.)
    I don't have a problem with the Touchwiz...it is almost the same as my Tab 10.1...so I am familiar with it and I like it. My issue now is with the bluetooth connection issues I am having. When I pair the handset to my stereo and headset and then ultimately walk away from my car it obviously disconnects once I am out of range. But when I get back into my car, unlike my old HTC Evo and my wife's Samsung Epic 4G, it DOES NOT reconnect as it should. I walked into the Sprint store to have the tech tell me it is a known software issue. I am on the phone with Sprint right now having them send me a new phone, since I am still within the 14 day satisfaction window.

Hopefully, that will make a difference.

Fingers crossed...
    03-28-2012 02:59 PM
    Oh...sorry to hear that. Mine reconnects with no problems when i leave/re-enter car. Wonder what the problem is?
    03-28-2012 09:47 PM
    Also coming from the awesome EVO.

re bluetooth issue Idk. Havent had that experience.

I thought so too but I accidentally found it when looking at the voice command screen. Its under music. Its actually better than the evo player.

Also no kickstand like the evo.

Who knows why they didnt make an evo2 Go figure.

But this phone is the best performing, the screen and camera quality is excellent (though I liked the control evo gave me over my photos before I took them)

I like it as much as the EVo if not a tad more.

It will grow on you I think. Its nearly the best phone out.
    03-30-2012 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD