Why Do Updates Make Me Reset Default App?!?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
After every update I have to reset my Launcher, SMS, Browser, etc that was updated back to the default app (and yes I always check the box that says "Set as default"). Is this just a hell I have to put up with using Android or is there a fix for this? Because I really can't recommend an Android phone to anyone if they have to put up with that.

/Crossing fingers

Last edited:

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you really freaking out about that? It's two quick taps and you're done... When an app that is set as a default gets updated you just have to reselect the default; it's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: thenameisnigel

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sn1per 117,
I'm not freaking out. It's annoying since updates happen frequently, and sometimes more then one in the same week for the same app. I'm having to redo defaults every update, and it's stupid that an update would clear your default apps. It makes my "Smartphone" seem.. Not so smart. I find myself recommending the iPhone because I don't wan't to hear the complaints from friends and family about this stuff. If you can't understand how this would annoy people in the real world then you're not living in the real world.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Is this just a hell I have to put up with using Android or is there a fix for this? Because I really can't recommend an Android phone to anyone if they have to put up with that.

That seems a little too dramatic. I do live in the real world and it shouldn't be that hard to tap twice after graciously getting an update from the app developer. If you don't want to do it, then set your apps to not update automatically.

Reactions: patrao_n

qkrthnu

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
This REALLY pisses me off too. It makes hands-free/voice actions worthless.

Here's an example:

I'm in the car and decide I want to use navigation. I use either my Bluetooth headset or long-press the search button to bring up my Voice Actions. Now if one of the 4 or 5 apps that can use the long-press search button have been updated I then have to select that I want to use my voice actions app and check the remember box. Ok, so that's done. Now I long-press again, voice actions launches and I say "Drive to .........someplace". Normally this will automatically launch my Google navigation, but if either Google nav or telenav has updated then I get another prompt. It makes for a very "hands on" "hands free" experience, not what I want while I'm driving.

Yes, I could block all auto-updates but it's stupid that this is the only option. Even then after performing updates I would have to go through all of these various actions to set my preferences so they're ready to go when I actually want to use them.

I guess I could just not install any apps so that there is only one choice for most things, but again that's a ridiculous workaround for what should be a straight forward process. If I say "remember this setting" then I want the phone to just f'ing do it!

d2globalinc

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It's also a major annoyance for those of us who customize our family, friends, clients, etc phones/tablets, etc. and then watch the customization get trashed due to this behavior.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes. But I can not tell you as Dark Vador is trying to push me off a bridge as we speak.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol