The Fix For Location-Based App Problems! (It's not the GPS!)

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As many here have mentioned and I've repeated complained about, location-based apps like Foursquare or Gas Buddy or weather widgets frequently seem to get stuck miles away from where I'm located. For some reason, my phone believes I'm at my work and refuses to offer Groupon Now or Foursquare check-ins for anything other than near there, even when the map in 4S places the blue dot accurately 15-20 miles away where Google Maps locates. This has nothing to do with the GPS issues some have had, because Maps spotted me correctly, though sometimes it would jump from wherever to my office before springing back when it locked after a few seconds. That it kept jumping to my work location despite clearing cache, un/reinstalling apps never made sense - it just seemed locked into there.

Well, the other day I discovered this thread referenced in a Sprint Users forum post and loaded the linked file on 3/31/12. I've just returned from a three-day trip that was 450+ miles and every single time I used Foursquare or Gas Buddy or checked my weather widget, it was working properly. I've been going mad with being unable to check in, etc. and this fixed it. A quick skim of the thread showed some people having it broken by a Google Maps update, but I've been fine in the four days I've used it. (I waited to verify function over time and distance before posting.)

I'm guessing this requires root and I made a copy of the file I replaced (it was called networklocation.apk on the rooted stock ODIN One-Touch EL29 I'm running) just to be safe. Downloaded the linked file and installed it to replace the existing Network Locations system app. Hope this helps my fellow sufferers out.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know for sure. I'm guessing you need to be, but perhaps not. The link doesn't say one way or the other.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
definitely been a source of frustration for me for awhile now.

i dumped the EVO 4G because of the memory leak problem (i believe the OP in this thread did the same thing, if memory serves), for this phone.

and now this GPS thing is a nightmare, and i'm sick of it. i've had the phone probably just less than a month, and beceause of this one problem, i want to toss it into the ocean. ugh.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is the main problem the GPS has, what it has on mine is the damn lock in never happens hours after the first one.
but when i reset the phone and it locks in, everything else works, foursquare, google maps ect... spots me correctly, then a few hours after, poof, nothing more works.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Compared to some, I've been lucky with my GPS locking on within seconds, though sometimes dropping lock and requiring an A-GPS refresh.

However, as I noted, the problem with apps must've been related to this location module because even though Foursquare's map showed my location correctly, it would only show check in picks from where it permanently thought it was, except for the increasingly rare instances when it'd get it right.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not convinced it has to do with Google maps and a recent update.

Granted, i'm no expert, but i just uninstalled all the Google map updates, and am still having problems.

This is a pain in the butt.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I have Fancy widgets, Beautiful widgets, Accuweather premium, HD widgets, and another one I can't remember....all paid and none of them...NOT A ONE, work. All of them locate me miles away and never update to my correct location. Maybe this will change in ICS but not holding my breath. I love this phone...well at least for another year, so I want it to work like it should.

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Geolocation problem

I keep getting that error as well Geolocation problem saying location doesnt exist. I am sick of these notifications and I did not want to root my phone. The only way to fix it is rooting? I never had these issues before and any guidance or help is appreciated.

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Im not understanding how some can be horrible and some peoples GPS are spot on. I NEVER turn my GPS on as pull down notification bar tap GPS tab I just go to location in settings and use wireless networks determined by wifi and or 3G. Now when I bring up just the maps app, when sitting here at home on wifi it comes to the very inch its dead on, but when I turn wifi off and turn 3G/mobile network its within a few blocks no more than 4 blocks so not a big deal. Idk if that much of a difference is what others are saying is horrible GPS or not but its pretty good for me.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
it is pecuilar to me that i can turn off the GPS, yet the GPS light on the pulldown stays illuminated. i wonder if this is tied into the problem.

sls639

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my phone about a week and that was one of the first thing i noticed. My GPS showed me 3 blocks away. somewhere on this site i read a thread and downloaded "GPS status" free at the market. now its spot on, still slow getting a lock though. I don't use GPS for much more than maps so i don't know how it works with other widgets. when you open it its got a really cool compass and show actual longitude and latitude and a few other goodies, but just downloading it fixed my prob.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think I might be the only E4GT owner with zero GPS issues on fully stock non-rooted phone. Mine has worked flawlessly for me every time I have needed. Quick to lock on and accurate as hell. I really can't complain.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been golden so far too! Though I'm running FD26 now. Doesn't seem to ever have a problem unless I'm at work. Working in a mill environment, not many cell services work. Lol