Anyone Upgrading to EVO LTE?

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone upgrading their device from the Epic Touch to the EVO LTE? Much better specs as far as screen quality, camera and processor. Also, an upgrade will more than likely be better since HTC makes far better quality devices than Samsung will ever make. The build on the EVO LTE is first class also, compared to our plasticky Touches?? What are you all going to do?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm passing on it. It'll probably be an excellent device and a great upgrade for many, but I'm more than happy with this phone. If anything, I'll be giving the SGSIII a chance depending on what Sprint's variant has to offer. If it doesn't tickle me the right way, I'll be waiting for the 2013 lineup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not! isn't that apples little red headed step child without a removable battery & sd card slot, or did they change it? I'll be waiting for the next best thing... Located in a GALAXY far, far away. You must have patients my son for it is a virtue ;-) As far as this build quality business.HTC can keep their two tone flip flip paint job! Don't you know "plastics make it possible"?

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad we at Sprint finally have some decent choices coming up. Galaxy Nexus, GS3, and Evo LTE. We already know basically all there is to know about the Nexus, so I'll see what the GS3 has to offer before I make the jump. I am a bit concerned about the ICS update for the GS2 though. I'd imagine that's going to look a lot like the TouchWiz running on the GS3 and to me, ICS Touchwiz looks like Gingerbread Touchwiz. I'd like for it to look a bit different at least. That, and the awesome hardware on the EVO LTE have me leaning away from Samsung.

joe.stay

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I renew and upgraded to the epic 4g touch back in Sep 2011. I like the epic 4g touch and it's serving me well. I'm just gonna wait til I'm eligible to renew again in mid 2013. Hopefully, there will be a galaxy s4 phone coming out in mid 2013.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
if ICS doesnt fix these location issues Im having, Ill sell the Touch and gladly p/u the new evo, I bought the original evo on launch day back in June of 2010 and the experience I had with that phone was 110% perfect

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i don't agree trutteller, nothing on the htc evo lte is "much" better than our e4gt. i love this phone and i don't have an upgrade for another year, so i will not be getting the htc. this beast is more than capable of keeping me happy especially if we ever get ics.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just locked into my 2-year in January so that's a no for me. Whatever comes down the pipeline when I'm able to upgrade is what I'll be considering -- whether it's HTC, Samsung, LG, etc I'll be considering everything. A good device that suits me is what I look for.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The Evo 4G LTE does have a non removal battery (bigger than the One X though at 2000 mah) and it does have an SD card slot...and a kickstand. So basically, HTC addressed everything that the One X doesn't have. I think it's a very nice phone, but I am definitely going to wait until the S3 comes out before I decide which one to jump on.

I don't think the ICS update for the S2 is representative of what ICS will look like on the S3. So far, with every generation of new Galaxy S phone, Samsung did a major overhaul for Touchwiz, so I am expecting the same for the S3 with what I am guessing will be Touchwiz 5.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Epic and can return if I want for the Evo 4g LTE but I love the sasmung and the difference between the 2 just is not that big. And anyone getting the Evo 4gLTe becasue of specs , I am sure in 4 months there will be a phone to blow it away. Unless there is a hugte different spec wise I dont upgrade.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Epic and can return if I want for the Evo 4g LTE but I love the sasmung and the difference between the 2 just is not that big. And anyone getting the Evo 4gLTe becasue of specs , I am sure in 4 months there will be a phone to blow it away. Unless there is a hugte different spec wise I dont upgrade.

Well, from a specs standpoint, the EVO LTE will have a faster processor and a higher resolution screen that Phil calls "the best display we've ever seen in an Android smartphone, and it's quite possibly the best display we've seen in any phone". He thinks it looks even better than the SAMOLED HD screen on the Galaxy Nexus, so one would assume the same opinion would apply versus the WVGA SAMOLED+ screen on the E4GT.

It will also have a slightly larger (by 200 mAH) non-removable battery, which I consider to be a non-issue. I also consider the processor to mainly be a non-issue (for now), because the processor in the E4GT already cuts through all Apps and software with ease. Benchmarks aside, which are mostly meaningless, the processor in this phone is more than able to handle everything available today.

So to me, the decision maker between the E4GT and the EVO LTE will mainly boil down to the screen and Sense 4, not counting those who are simply partial to HTC devices from the get go. Otherwise, I'd say you're right, specs are often outclassed in a short period of time in today's lightning paced world of mobile device development, making the differences between the E4GT and EVO LTE less meaningful.

However, some people, like the OP, have had signal, GPS and battery (often related to the signal) issues on Samsung devices, while have had good or great past experiences with HTC devices in this area. So this will also be a big differentiator for some.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree but the unknown is will the LTE have gps isuues and or battery issues etc. I assume that they fixed a few things but my Evo 4G was horrible for both GPS and Battery. GPS had a hard time finding me and my battery lasted a few hours if I was using the device (music/games etc) . I do have the 10-15 second start up with GPS that others have but the battery life is so much better. I also kind of see it coming down to the screen and Sense over wiz. I have used both Wiz and Sense and both are even on functionality.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I really like my phone, the biggest problem I have with it is the screen resolution. Even coming from the Evo 3d, the E4GT was a step down from the qhd resolution the Evo 3d had, but overall, I like it much better than I did the Evo 3d. There are a few bugs that bother me and I am not sure if they are actual bugs or "features"

1. At times I get all my emails again after I already deleted them from the phone.
2. Sometimes I get emails with no topic with a date from 1969
3. In the phone dialer, it almost never stays on the history view I selected, instead of just showing all voice calls it shows text messages too. I am in the phone app, so I want to see my call history, not my message history, if I want to see that I go to the messaging app
4. The calendar view always defaults to day view
5. Having a homepage in the browser seems pointless since the browser usually goes to the last page you went to and I have yet to find a "go to homepage" or just a simple "homepage" button like you'd find on any desktop browser.

I doubt the ICS update will fix any of these issues...well besides the browser one since the ICS browser is improved. Why do I want another phone? Because I always want something faster, smoother, prettier. the Evo 4g LTE looks to have all of that, including working scrollable wallpapers, but I am expecting the S3 to take yet another leap over it, at least that's my hope. The key though for me is 720p resolution with the best possible display technology. The Evo 4G LTE (and the One X) set the new mark for Android devices, and I am hoping Samsung can top that with the S3. My other hopes for the S3 are a new and much improved version of Touchwiz and a 5 Series Exynos processor. That's right, I would rather want the A15 based dual core over the A9 based 4 Series quad core. Oh, and please, please don't have to rely on the S4, while a great processor, I just know the Exynos is better, especially if we get a 5 Series one with the 600 series Mali GPU over the 4 Series quad core that uses the same Mali 400 we already have at a higher clock rate.

Sorry for the wall of text.

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting for the next Evo but was ready for my next phone and hadn't heard a release date for the Lte 4g... so I went shopping.... I came across this incredible device! A week after I had my Touch they announced the HTC. I am happy as ever with my new phone and am not disappointed at all that I didn't wait... Basically the same specs, my only hope is that ICS drops before the Evo comes out!

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting for the next Evo but was ready for my next phone and hadn't heard a release date for the Lte 4g... so I went shopping.... I came across this incredible device! A week after I had my Touch they announced the HTC. I am happy as ever with my new phone and am not disappointed at all that I didn't wait... Basically the same specs, my only hope is that ICS drops before the Evo comes out!

I am pretty sure it will, if not, Samsung is going to get into hot water again with its fans and the tech media for being so slow with OS updates. The memories of the long wait for Gingerbread on the Epic 4G are still in a lot of minds.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It's an extremely sexy device and tempting, but for me I won't upgrade because:

- I know it's purely aesthetics, but the One X design was AWESOME. Sprint/HTC's new design deviates a bit too much for my taste in comparison to the beautiful original design.
- This will be a LTE device on a network that is already a bit struggling with spotty WiMax coverage. The coverage will most likely be crap/spotty for the next couple years. It's hard for me to justify a good chunk of change to upgrade on specs with less data capability no matter how beautiful the screen is.
- Most importantly, GS2 is more than capable of handling everything I use the phone for.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I am going to keep my E4GT for a little while longer (Just got it on March 4th). This phone is amazing especially with all the 3rd party development it gets.

I want to upgrade to the EVO LTE, but I do not think LTE will be available in Philadelphia for some time. Plus I refuse to buy contract and always buy off. So I have to wait a while to find someone who will sell the device for around $400 which will probably be a couple months after it releases. Which should time perfectly with when Sprint launches LTE in Philadelphia.

Plus I was not impressed with the Epic 4G Touch ICS leaks from Samsung. It just look like glorified Gingerbread(2.3) with almost no similarities to stock ICS. TouchWiz 4.0 looks like crap, but Sense 4.0 looks amazing. I am almost done with Samsung devices and will probably migrate to HTC, Sony, or Motorola.

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I am extremely happy with my E4GT...now that I have figured workarounds for some issues I had originally. Also, with the fact that FoxFi works well on the Samsung and DOES NOT work on any HTC phone, makes the decision to not get an EVO LTE rather solid.

Also, for those arguing about screen resolution...I don't think any of you understand that with a phone this small (relative to HDTVs) you can't tell the difference. You are all only looking at specs and like to brag about them. I have 1080p videos that I have formatted using Handbrake loaded on my E4GT that look better than on my 1080p HDTV at home. So to say that the EVO LTE screen will look "better" is simply device nerd-talk (you all know who you are...and brings you down to the lowly level of iFans).

ICS will be a great thing, but the E4GT will get it eventually...
LTE will be nice, but coverage will be so limited for the first 2-3 years, that it won't matter...

Loving my E4GT...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781