Anyone Upgrading to EVO LTE?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Plus I was not impressed with the Epic 4G Touch ICS leaks from Samsung. It just look like glorified Gingerbread(2.3) with almost no similarities to stock ICS. TouchWiz 4.0 looks like crap, but Sense 4.0 looks amazing. I am almost done with Samsung devices and will probably migrate to HTC, Sony, or Motorola.

Just a quick FYI if you hadn't seen, but Swamp Goblin over at XDA who brought Sense 2.1 (click the link for screen shots) to the Nexus S and is working on a Sense 4 port should have an Epic 4G Touch within the next couple of days and plans to start porting Sense ROMs to this phone. I know it's not the same as Sense sitting on an HTC device, but it could allow you to get more life out of your E4GT while you explore your options.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick FYI if you hadn't seen, but Swamp Goblin over at XDA who brought Sense 2.1 (click the link for screen shots) to the Nexus S and is working on a Sense 4 port should have an Epic 4G Touch within the next couple of days and plans to start porting Sense ROMs to this phone. I know it's not the same as Sense sitting on an HTC device, but it could allow you to get more life out of your E4GT while you explore your options.
I have tried sense overlays on my original epic 4g and sadly it just didn't feel the same. It likes owning a Toyota and saying that you drive a Lexus. Just didn't feel right.

Though me and my epic 4g touch will be friends for a quite some time. I just wished that Samsung and Sprint would work together to make the supposed flagship phone have faster updates and a better UI.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have tried sense overlays on my original epic 4g and sadly it just didn't feel the same. It likes owning a Toyota and saying that you drive a Lexus. Just didn't feel right.

When I was a kid, my dad helped me paint my Rampar BMX bike (think Huffy, but worse I think) and put Mongoose stickers on it. I thought I was cool riding around on my "Mongoose", until the other kids who had real Mongoose bikes laughed and made fun of me (yeah we know kids can be cruel). Probably a silly analogy but, I know what you mean. :D

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that I am extremely happy with my E4GT...now that I have figured workarounds for some issues I had originally. Also, with the fact that FoxFi works well on the Samsung and DOES NOT work on any HTC phone, makes the decision to not get an EVO LTE rather solid.

Also, for those arguing about screen resolution...I don't think any of you understand that with a phone this small (relative to HDTVs) you can't tell the difference. You are all only looking at specs and like to brag about them. I have 1080p videos that I have formatted using Handbrake loaded on my E4GT that look better than on my 1080p HDTV at home. So to say that the EVO LTE screen will look "better" is simply device nerd-talk (you all know who you are...and brings you down to the lowly level of iFans).

ICS will be a great thing, but the E4GT will get it eventually...
LTE will be nice, but coverage will be so limited for the first 2-3 years, that it won't matter...

Loving my E4GT...

When it comes to screen resolution, I beg to differ, you can tell the difference. It was painfully obvious that my E4GT has a lower resolution than my Evo 3d did, but it made up for it for nicer colors and blacker blacks. The example you give doesn't make that much sense, the pixel density on a 4.5" screen is much higher than on a full size TV, you can't compare the two. So yes, screen resolution does make a difference. Now, if we were arguing about a phone having 720p resolution vs 1080p resolution, then yes, I'd agree with you because with a screen that small, the difference between the two of them would be impossible to tell for the human eye simply because already at 720p you can't make out individual pixels, let alone at 1080p. But going from 480 x 800 to 720 x 1280 is a huge difference!

foogle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I am surprise no one concerned that by getting the EVO LTE, you will basically give up WiMax for the next few months until Sprint turn on LTE in your areas.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My E4GT isn't 6 mos. old yet and of all the phones I've had, this one became my new favorite. I would've considered a switch if Sprint had stuck to more of the One X design rather than change it as much as they did.

Yes, I had the original Evo, and IMHO, this phone took a massive leap away from the One X to become the all new Evo.

I'm not struck by brand loyalty but right now, I'd rather wait and see what Samsung does next. So looking forward to a Note from Samsung on the Now Network!

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Anyone upgrading their device from the Epic Touch to the EVO LTE? Much better specs as far as screen quality, camera and processor. Also, an upgrade will more than likely be better since HTC makes far better quality devices than Samsung will ever make. The build on the EVO LTE is first class also, compared to our plasticky Touches?? What are you all going to do?

Yep, I'm upgrading to the Evo LTE. But I'm upgrading my plastic OG Evo to the Plastic Evo LTE. I'm keeping my "plasticky" e4Gt. The e4Gt is a great "plasticky" device.

You put it in a protective case, it feels like any other plastic phone in a protective case....

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to screen resolution, I beg to differ, you can tell the difference. It was painfully obvious that my E4GT has a lower resolution than my Evo 3d did, but it made up for it for nicer colors and blacker blacks. The example you give doesn't make that much sense, the pixel density on a 4.5" screen is much higher than on a full size TV, you can't compare the two. So yes, screen resolution does make a difference. Now, if we were arguing about a phone having 720p resolution vs 1080p resolution, then yes, I'd agree with you because with a screen that small, the difference between the two of them would be impossible to tell for the human eye simply because already at 720p you can't make out individual pixels, let alone at 1080p. But going from 480 x 800 to 720 x 1280 is a huge difference!

I guess I'm being stubborn...so we'll see when it comes out. But I guarantee that 99% percent of people looking at the screen will not be able to tell the difference. Especially when playing a full HD video or looking at very high resolution photos. I will make the educated assumption that the only people who will "tell the difference" will be guys who have the need to one-up the next guy.

Also, the Nexus at Vz is 720 x 1280 and I couldn't see much of a difference...just saying.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I am the guy that, when blu ray first came out, complained about still seeing pixels when I saw my first blu ray movie on a hd tv. Some people just don't see it, but I am a stickler for details.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I am surprise no one concerned that by getting the EVO LTE, you will basically give up WiMax for the next few months until Sprint turn on LTE in your areas.

Sprint doesent even offer wiimax in my area so thats really not a consideration but lets be honest about the LTE build out. Unless you live in a major city its not going to be months, its going to be years. By the time Sprint has a widespread LTE network most of us would be eligible to upgrade from the EVO LTE.

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Sprint doesent even offer wiimax in my area so thats really not a consideration but lets be honest about the LTE build out. Unless you live in a major city its not going to be months, its going to be years. By the time Sprint has a widespread LTE network most of us would be eligible to upgrade from the EVO LTE.

Agreed, I don't even have 4G where I live...and Sprint is using an established 4G carrier (Clear). Can you imagine how long it will take for them to build their own LTE network?

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, I don't even have 4G where I live...and Sprint is using an established 4G carrier (Clear). Can you imagine how long it will take for them to build their own LTE network?

Well at this point, Clear is a struggling carrier that is only surviving because Sprint needs them. They have not announced a new WiMax city in over a year. Once Sprint is done with Clear, they will be a lost company. I have abused WiMax so much since it was introduced to Sprint. Luckily, I live in the Philadelphia area, and Philadelphia's 4g (WiMax) coverage is pretty much a blanket (with a few holes).

LTE will not be coming to Philadelphia right away. I beleive LTE is lit for the Houton, Dallas, and San Antonio and some other cities around there. Because of this, I will not get an LTE device until it is available in Philadelphia or NE which I assume would be around the time the iPhone 5 will be on sale (Late/Winter 2012).

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
First, I have a SERIOUS gadget addiction. I do love my Epic, but that Evo with the high-res, super LCD screen ... I had a serious itch when it was announced. I MAY do it, but only because of my "issue" =) ...

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm being stubborn...so we'll see when it comes out. But I guarantee that 99% percent of people looking at the screen will not be able to tell the difference. Especially when playing a full HD video or looking at very high resolution photos. I will make the educated assumption that the only people who will "tell the difference" will be guys who have the need to one-up the next guy.

Also, the Nexus at Vz is 720 x 1280 and I couldn't see much of a difference...just saying.

There is more to the higher resolution screen than just "it looks better". More of a webpage can fit on the screen for instance.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't purchase the EVO LTE for nothing. I gave up my EVO 3D shortly after getting it because I hated the side power port.

If it would have had a bottom port... It would be a toss up between this and GS3 if/when it comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12