Was this a LIE??

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Today I just got fed up with Sprint's horrendous data speeds and this phone so I called Technical Support to try one last chance to get things fixed. The problem I constantly have is that on average and no matter where I am in the city my connection test shows 1200ms ping, no more than 90kbs download and 15k upload speeds.

The tech support rep stated that there was some type of " special provisioning" update that I could only get done at the store. He went on to tell me that if I knew anyone else with the phone to tell them to take it to the store for the same thing. My question is have anyone of you heard about this "special provisioning" update?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Today I just got fed up with Sprint's horrendous data speeds and this phone so I called Technical Support to try one last chance to get things fixed. The problem I constantly have is that on average and no matter where I am in the city my connection test shows 1200ms ping, no more than 90kbs download and 15k upload speeds.

The tech support rep stated that there was some type of " special provisioning" update that I could only get done at the store. He went on to tell me that if I knew anyone else with the phone to tell them to take it to the store for the same thing. My question is have anyone of you heard about this "special provisioning" update?

Hm I am interested in this. Because my speeds are overall terrible wherever I go around my area, no matter what strength my signal is. Every ONCE in a while I get a really good speed, but it doesn't last long.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hm I am interested in this. Because my speeds are overall terrible wherever I go around my area, no matter what strength my signal is. Every ONCE in a while I get a really good speed, but it doesn't last long.

Same here but I know if the guy was just trying to get of the phone or he was telling the truth. But if this isn't the truth Ive got to do something else these speeds are absolutley atrocious!!

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprints speeds have been quite bad for a while now. This is the 1st I've heard anything like this regarding special provisioning. I think whoever you spoke with was making that up.

Since the speeds have been so atrocious for so long and with the number of people who've phoned in about it, if this had any truth to it, I think someone would've mentioned it by now.

Personally if it's not true, I wouldn't be surprised at all

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
They will probably just verify that all of the provisioning settings copied to your phone correctly. If you take it in and they say it is fixed, run some speed tests and verify it. If it isn't, try the tests on another phone in the store. Show them that your phone is still having an issue and request a replacement for a bad modem. I have no idea if they will replace it but I would expect them to.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
No need to blame [deleted] or iPhones. Sprint data speeds ususally suck. 3g is barely DSL speed while 4g is sort of high speed. You should have probably done some research first before buying with Sprint. In my area (King of Prussia, PA 20 min outside of Philadelphia) I get decent 3g speed and very good 4g coverage. So maybe this is limited to your specific area.

Last edited by a moderator:

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
No need to blame [deleted] or iPhones. Sprint data speeds ususally suck. 3g is barely DSL speed while 4g is sort of high speed. You should have probably done some research first before buying with Sprint. In my area (King of Prussia, PA 20 min outside of Philadelphia) I get decent 3g speed and very good 4g coverage. So maybe this is limited to your specific area.

What I said is about as logical as the OP asking us to tell him if Sprint lied to him.....

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I knew when I got a 4g phone Sprint had no coverage around for that. My thing is despite being on 3g I can stream Netflix usually with little issue. It is no Wifi viewing but it works to kill boredom. Personally here around Detroit there are few areas where I get bad signal and where I do, Verizon and AT&T users usually do also.

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I feel you sprints data sucks for me big time. Loss of signal and speeds have been constant for me. Also the signal strength is terrible. I walk into a store or even half covered concrete area, Internet gone. Pathetic!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

strawhatnito0890

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Signal strength has a lot to do a wit ur speed depending on how many towers, range, coverage area and ur radios. Nothing can boost speed but better towers.

K.U.S.H 305 MB855

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I cannot get over 80k download speeds in Houston, Tx no matter where I go. My ping is 1100 at best and I believe Houston is one of Sprint's best markets because we always get the upgrades in towers first. It's becoming very hard to keep this service when it takes FB 1 minute to refresh and upload pictures.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I cannot get over 80k download speeds in Houston, Tx no matter where I go. My ping is 1100 at best and I believe Houston is one of Sprint's best markets because we always get the upgrades in towers first. It's becoming very hard to keep this service when it takes FB 1 minute to refresh and upload pictures.

Are you using the latest modem? I have heard using a different modem can actually solve speed/gps issues, because the latest up date screwed something up, which is supposedly fixed in ICS.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean latest modem

If your not rooted and don't have custom recovery on your phone, you can still use Odin to flash a different modem.bin file. New files have been coming with the ICS leaks, with the latest available being FB05.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If your not rooted and don't have custom recovery on your phone, you can still use Odin to flash a different modem.bin file. New files have been coming with the ICS leaks, with the latest available being FB05.

This. EG29 supposedly cause issues. Flashing a newer modem.bin that may solve some issues.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Sprint data is consistant at being unlimitedly slow...so LTE is the next change if not. Move on...or stay and wait for LTE....I left fot HSPA+ fast always between 10-22mbps and honestly I dont even need to check how fast it is because it just works !!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-TMobile-GS2 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean latest modem

You can find several Modem's in the root forum. There are a few Officially released modems and others which were leaked in current ICS ROMs for our device. If you give Modems a try use a few and see which one suits you best.