04-14-2012 05:40 PM
30 12
tools
    Today I just got fed up with Sprint's horrendous data speeds and this phone so I called Technical Support to try one last chance to get things fixed. The problem I constantly have is that on average and no matter where I am in the city my connection test shows 1200ms ping, no more than 90kbs download and 15k upload speeds.

The tech support rep stated that there was some type of " special provisioning" update that I could only get done at the store. He went on to tell me that if I knew anyone else with the phone to tell them to take it to the store for the same thing. My question is have anyone of you heard about this "special provisioning" update?
    04-09-2012 11:04 PM
    Today I just got fed up with Sprint's horrendous data speeds and this phone so I called Technical Support to try one last chance to get things fixed. The problem I constantly have is that on average and no matter where I am in the city my connection test shows 1200ms ping, no more than 90kbs download and 15k upload speeds.

The tech support rep stated that there was some type of " special provisioning" update that I could only get done at the store. He went on to tell me that if I knew anyone else with the phone to tell them to take it to the store for the same thing. My question is have anyone of you heard about this "special provisioning" update?
    Hm I am interested in this. Because my speeds are overall terrible wherever I go around my area, no matter what strength my signal is. Every ONCE in a while I get a really good speed, but it doesn't last long.
    04-10-2012 12:08 AM
    Hm I am interested in this. Because my speeds are overall terrible wherever I go around my area, no matter what strength my signal is. Every ONCE in a while I get a really good speed, but it doesn't last long.
    Same here but I know if the guy was just trying to get of the phone or he was telling the truth. But if this isn't the truth Ive got to do something else these speeds are absolutley atrocious!!
    TheRyland likes this.
    04-10-2012 12:29 AM
    Sprints speeds have been quite bad for a while now. This is the 1st I've heard anything like this regarding special provisioning. I think whoever you spoke with was making that up.

Since the speeds have been so atrocious for so long and with the number of people who've phoned in about it, if this had any truth to it, I think someone would've mentioned it by now.

Personally if it's not true, I wouldn't be surprised at all

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk
    04-10-2012 08:06 AM
    They will probably just verify that all of the provisioning settings copied to your phone correctly. If you take it in and they say it is fixed, run some speed tests and verify it. If it isn't, try the tests on another phone in the store. Show them that your phone is still having an issue and request a replacement for a bad modem. I have no idea if they will replace it but I would expect them to.
    04-10-2012 08:08 AM
    No need to blame [deleted] or iPhones. Sprint data speeds ususally suck. 3g is barely DSL speed while 4g is sort of high speed. You should have probably done some research first before buying with Sprint. In my area (King of Prussia, PA 20 min outside of Philadelphia) I get decent 3g speed and very good 4g coverage. So maybe this is limited to your specific area.
    04-10-2012 11:19 AM
    I had better speeds on my Epic 4G than this Galaxy SII, this is my second one too... First one kept losing data signal.
    04-10-2012 11:23 AM
    No need to blame [deleted] or iPhones. Sprint data speeds ususally suck. 3g is barely DSL speed while 4g is sort of high speed. You should have probably done some research first before buying with Sprint. In my area (King of Prussia, PA 20 min outside of Philadelphia) I get decent 3g speed and very good 4g coverage. So maybe this is limited to your specific area.
    What I said is about as logical as the OP asking us to tell him if Sprint lied to him.....
    04-10-2012 11:26 AM
    What I said is about as logical as the OP asking us to tell him if Sprint lied to him.....
    Agreed.
    04-10-2012 11:28 AM
    I knew when I got a 4g phone Sprint had no coverage around for that. My thing is despite being on 3g I can stream Netflix usually with little issue. It is no Wifi viewing but it works to kill boredom. Personally here around Detroit there are few areas where I get bad signal and where I do, Verizon and AT&T users usually do also.
    04-10-2012 11:38 AM
    I feel you sprints data sucks for me big time. Loss of signal and speeds have been constant for me. Also the signal strength is terrible. I walk into a store or even half covered concrete area, Internet gone. Pathetic!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    04-10-2012 11:49 AM
    Signal strength has a lot to do a wit ur speed depending on how many towers, range, coverage area and ur radios. Nothing can boost speed but better towers.

K.U.S.H 305 MB855
    04-10-2012 12:06 PM
    I cannot get over 80k download speeds in Houston, Tx no matter where I go. My ping is 1100 at best and I believe Houston is one of Sprint's best markets because we always get the upgrades in towers first. It's becoming very hard to keep this service when it takes FB 1 minute to refresh and upload pictures.
    04-10-2012 09:09 PM
    I cannot get over 80k download speeds in Houston, Tx no matter where I go. My ping is 1100 at best and I believe Houston is one of Sprint's best markets because we always get the upgrades in towers first. It's becoming very hard to keep this service when it takes FB 1 minute to refresh and upload pictures.
    Are you using the latest modem? I have heard using a different modem can actually solve speed/gps issues, because the latest up date screwed something up, which is supposedly fixed in ICS.
    04-10-2012 09:17 PM
    What do you mean latest modem

04-10-2012 09:22 PM

If your not rooted and don't have custom recovery on your phone, you can still use Odin to flash a different modem.bin file. New files have been coming with the ICS leaks, with the latest available being FB05.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    04-10-2012 10:27 PM
    If your not rooted and don't have custom recovery on your phone, you can still use Odin to flash a different modem.bin file. New files have been coming with the ICS leaks, with the latest available being FB05.

This. EG29 supposedly cause issues. Flashing a newer modem.bin that may solve some issues.

04-11-2012 01:20 AM
    Sprint data is consistant at being unlimitedly slow...so LTE is the next change if not. Move on...or stay and wait for LTE....I left fot HSPA+ fast always between 10-22mbps and honestly I dont even need to check how fast it is because it just works !!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-TMobile-GS2 using Tapatalk 2
    04-11-2012 03:02 AM

You can find several Modem's in the root forum. There are a few Officially released modems and others which were leaked in current ICS ROMs for our device. If you give Modems a try use a few and see which one suits you best.
    04-11-2012 09:48 AM
    Any modem recommendations? I am totally lost in that regard.

04-11-2012 12:10 PM
    Any modem recommendations? I am totally lost in that regard.

I would start with the latest and work backwards, testing each one along the way.

sfhub has all of the modems in .TAR form in the second post of all of his Odin One Click threads. Here is his summary thread: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash)

Under the line labeled "ODIN - ICS", click the link starting with FD02, then scroll down to post #2 and look for the lablel "b1) [ODIN] FD02 Modem".

Download that file to your computer. sfhub bundles these in a 7-ZIP extractor so double click the file you downloaded to extract the TAR file to anywhere on your PC.

Then you'll need to download Odin as well as install Samsung Kies so that you have the required drivers installed on your computer. Here is a download link: Odin 1.85 - xda-developers as listed in sfhub's threads. Do a Google search for Kies if you haven't already installed it.

Once Odin is downloaded and unpacked to a folder on your PC, run it. With the Odin screen open, power off your phone, then once off, hold down VOL DOWN and POWER at the same time. When the download mode screen comes up, hit VOL UP to confirm, then plug in the phone to your PC. In a few seconds you should see a yellow box come up in Odin with a "COM" number (disregard the number it doesn't matter). Seeing this yellow box tells you Odin has successfully recognized your phone.

Check the "PDA" box, then place the TAR file you downloaded in that PDA box by browsing to it. Also, make sure the ONLY other settings box that is checked is "auto reboot". Then hit Start and your modem will flash which can take a couple minutes. You should see a success message in Odin and your phone will reboot. Once rebooted feel free to disconnect your phone and close Odin.

Here is a video from qbking77 that shows working with Odin:

The video is on a different topic, but working with Odin is the same in the case of flashing modem TAR files.

That's about it! Keep in mind that changing the modem will cause future official OTA updates to fail. In order to install OTA updates, you would need to flash back to whatever the current official modem is, which right now is EL29.

Good luck!
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    04-11-2012 12:39 PM
    I have been with Sprint for 6+ years and have never experienced constant dropped calls, echoing while talking to someone, text messages sent not received/delayed, test messages to me not received/delayed, 1998 dial up speeds while surfing the net on my samsung epic touch 4g, no 4g service at all or very spotty...the last straw was the runaround from sprint customer service. no answers, playing stupid that they dont know whats going on and asking us to restart phone, go to a tech center so they don't have to deal with you over the phone, the constant excuses and lies.

I just recently switched to Verizon and it was the best move ever. I pay more money monthly but you get what you pay for and in this case RELIABLE service and TRUE 4G SPEED! Also the company you work for might get you a monthly discount so make sure you ask, I get 20% off which helped.

My new phone Motorola Razr Maxx pretty much is same size as Samsung Epic 4G but with more features and an awesome battery life...I take my phone off charger at 730am and it lasts till midnight with HEAVY usage and not once charging it at office or in car.
    04-11-2012 09:32 PM
    I would start with the latest and work backwards, testing each one along the way.

sfhub has all of the modems in .TAR form in the second post of all of his Odin One Click threads. Here is his summary thread: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash)

Under the line labeled "ODIN - ICS", click the link starting with FD02, then scroll down to post #2 and look for the lablel "b1) [ODIN] FD02 Modem".

Download that file to your computer. sfhub bundles these in a 7-ZIP extractor so double click the file you downloaded to extract the TAR file to anywhere on your PC.

Then you'll need to download Odin as well as install Samsung Kies so that you have the required drivers installed on your computer. Here is a download link: Odin 1.85 - xda-developers as listed in sfhub's threads. Do a Google search for Kies if you haven't already installed it.

Once Odin is downloaded and unpacked to a folder on your PC, run it. With the Odin screen open, power off your phone, then once off, hold down VOL DOWN and POWER at the same time. When the download mode screen comes up, hit VOL UP to confirm, then plug in the phone to your PC. In a few seconds you should see a yellow box come up in Odin with a "COM" number (disregard the number it doesn't matter). Seeing this yellow box tells you Odin has successfully recognized your phone.

Check the "PDA" box, then place the TAR file you downloaded in that PDA box by browsing to it. Also, make sure the ONLY other settings box that is checked is "auto reboot". Then hit Start and your modem will flash which can take a couple minutes. You should see a success message in Odin and your phone will reboot. Once rebooted feel free to disconnect your phone and close Odin.

Here is a video from qbking77 that shows working with Odin:

The video is on a different topic, but working with Odin is the same in the case of flashing modem TAR files.

That's about it! Keep in mind that changing the modem will cause future official OTA updates to fail. In order to install OTA updates, you would need to flash back to whatever the current official modem is, which right now is EL29.

Good luck!
    Can you use any modem with any software version? Im stuck on EK02 because my phone has errors on updates even though im not rooted.
    04-12-2012 12:47 AM
    I have been with Sprint for 6+ years and have never experienced constant dropped calls, echoing while talking to someone, text messages sent not received/delayed, test messages to me not received/delayed, 1998 dial up speeds while surfing the net on my samsung epic touch 4g, no 4g service at all or very spotty...the last straw was the runaround from sprint customer service. no answers, playing stupid that they dont know whats going on and asking us to restart phone, go to a tech center so they don't have to deal with you over the phone, the constant excuses and lies.

I just recently switched to Verizon and it was the best move ever. I pay more money monthly but you get what you pay for and in this case RELIABLE service and TRUE 4G SPEED! Also the company you work for might get you a monthly discount so make sure you ask, I get 20% off which helped.

My new phone Motorola Razr Maxx pretty much is same size as Samsung Epic 4G but with more features and an awesome battery life...I take my phone off charger at 730am and it lasts till midnight with HEAVY usage and not once charging it at office or in car.
    I love when I get the response from sprint that we've just made upgrades in your area and your problem should be resolved. So I check their network information which shows no upgrades in the last 6 months. And even worse, I sent them a screen shot of my phone (while outdoors) getting one bar of signal - I tried to snap the shot when it was on zero but it kept fluctuating back and forth. I'd be going back to verizon too but I have to wait for the etf to come down
    04-12-2012 06:40 AM
    Can you use any modem with any software version? Im stuck on EK02 because my phone has errors on updates even though im not rooted.
    Yes you can. The modem software is completely independent of the rest of the system, so you can use any modem with any build version.

04-12-2012 08:20 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD