Loved my Samsung Epic 4G but hated Sprint coverage...I left!!

tjayweaver

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Salisbury,NC. I get dropped calls along the 85 corridor.I've been told by phone reps and store managers that sprint is working on upgrading towers in this area and it's been underway for some time and will continue for some time into the future. I get dropped calls, echoes and slow internet. Limited 4G in my area.I also use a VZW mi-fi box from my employer. It is awesome! I've been with sprint for over 10 years.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
In Wash DC, SPRINT coverage was sketchy in the past but has improved over the years since I've been aboard. Customer service hooked me when SPRINT called with suggestions on how to lower my monthly bill!

I am the Galaxy and I Approve this Message
Sent from my SPH-D710

smurfette8202

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If you can confirm with sprint that the tower serving your area is down, I am sure they would do something for you like provide an airave so you can use your home Internet connection as a sprint tower in your own house. Give them a call and see what they have to offer.

i did that they did absolutely nothing for me but give me another fone and my signal still sucks.....i will be home and be roaming and they say there is a tower right by my house....well if thats the case y am i always roaming!!!! im waiting for sprint to send me that letter about roaming!!!! uuuggghhhh i hate paying my bill....because im paying for service i NEVER receive.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm lucky as I get really good Sprint coverage in San Diego. Both voice and data, although no WiMax. Although, if they don't have LTE here, or at minimum rolled out Project Vision by next summer, I'm gone like a bad habit. 10 years with Sprint now has been a satisfying experience, but I'm done not having 4G.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm lucky as I get really good Sprint coverage in San Diego. Both voice and data, although no WiMax. Although, if they don't have LTE here, or at minimum rolled out Project Vision by next summer, I'm gone like a bad habit. 10 years with Sprint now has been a satisfying experience, but I'm done not having 4G.

My 3g signalm was great in my house but data was a little slow. The problem I had was when I went anywhere else. When I went to the Verizon store to switch they needed my sprint account number. I tried to bring up the Sprint website and it took a full minute to come up. And the whole front of the store was glass. I was in a major shopping area too. Went to NYC and couldn't get data inside buildings. Went to New Hampshire and the phone fought between trying to get a signal and roaming and I couldn't access yelp. Unlimited data is great but with so many areas that I couldn't use it, it wasn't worth it. There are cities where I couldn't get a signal that I now get 4 bars of LTE with Verizon. And that's outside. I was not prepared for how bad sprint was. I will admit voice was really good. I hardly ever dropped a call. But who uses their phone primarily as a phone these days?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jpent

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I am about to switch as well. I called Sprint and had a rep tell me the issues in my area were due to towers being converted to handle LTE network and that they had dropped the 4G service that feeds my Galaxy SII 4G Touch. I live in McKinney, a far Northern Suburb of Dallas. I had the original HTC Evo with the 4g, and always had a blazing signal here. Now it is totally gone. I can get a weaker 3g most of the time, but the 4g is about five miles from me. It is spotty where once it dominated.

Friend has the Galaxy SIII from Sprint. He is a quarter mile from me, and he has a great LTE signal.

Moving to Verizon shortly, and will get the SIII depending on how it reviews for battery life over a time.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am about to switch as well. I called Sprint and had a rep tell me the issues in my area were due to towers being converted to handle LTE network and that they had dropped the 4G service that feeds my Galaxy SII 4G Touch. I live in McKinney, a far Northern Suburb of Dallas. I had the original HTC Evo with the 4g, and always had a blazing signal here. Now it is totally gone. I can get a weaker 3g most of the time, but the 4g is about five miles from me. It is spotty where once it dominated.

Friend has the Galaxy SIII from Sprint. He is a quarter mile from me, and he has a great LTE signal.

Moving to Verizon shortly, and will get the SIII depending on how it reviews for battery life over a time.

Battery life is great. I can get up to 5 hours of screen on time. I usually maxed out at 3 hours with the gs2 on sprint.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm also in McKinney, on the North aside, just off of 380. Still getting 4g at home the last time I checked, which was about a week ago. It's a weak signal, but the same as it always has been, and usable.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
i did that they did absolutely nothing for me but give me another fone and my signal still sucks.....i will be home and be roaming and they say there is a tower right by my house....well if thats the case y am i always roaming!!!! im waiting for sprint to send me that letter about roaming!!!! uuuggghhhh i hate paying my bill....because im paying for service i NEVER receive.

I am in the same situation . When I am stuck in roaming, my battery goes dead in about 4 hours. How is you battery life while in roaming?

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

That sounds like you can get out of ur contract... They dropped a service you pay for. So you're paying for Wimax but not getting? I would fight for getting out of contract. I love the phone but hate the service. Signal and customer.

Sprint is by far the worst I've ever had.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
AT&T lit up LTE in Detroit yesterday and I'm bolting as soon as Amazon Wireless has their Penny Sale again so I can get a GS3. If I drop texting (and use Google Voice instead) it will actually cost me LESS than I'm paying with Sprint. I've suffered with no 4G and crap 3G for the past two years and with no announced plans for getting anything updated in my area - other than the eternal "Network Vision will be finished by the end of NEXT year and the check is in the mail and I love you and I promise not to..." excuses - I've got no reason to stay with an outfit that makes my GS2 run like it's on dial-up. A smartphone without snappy data speed is a phone without the smarts.

EggotheKilljoy

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Not even my WiMax gets any faster than 1Mbps. Which is why I'm leaving sprint in December once contract is up. Texts fail to send a lot too. I'm probably going to go to ATT and get the Note 2 or buy the Play Store Nexus for no contract. I don't care for 4G, I just want 3G to work decently.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

DOOKJOY6869

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Airave was a breeze to set up, just plug in and set up on it's own. As far as the data thing, the rep told me that they sent me out a newer model which took care of voice and data. I didn't even check to verify if that was true or not. Either way, I'm satisfied. Finally I can use my phone again in the house until tower gets restored. Thank you sprint :D

This is a late response sorry. I also have the airave 2.5 and it does do data and voice you get the three beeps when you make or receive a call to let you know you are connected. Works pretty good we live in an apartment that is a dead zone.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is my wimax on the westside of the Chicago
ebusunun.jpg

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Called sprint, tower confirmed down for about a month. They are sending me an airwave today. I will check out the airwave thread for set up.

1) Airwaves come with a service agreement. They don't always tell you that on the phone. You find out later. You have to send it back if you stop using it and they charge you if you don't use it and send it back.

2) Can't your neighbors use your airwave? From what I read, it is not tied to your number.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle