First off, I OVERALL love this device. I came from a launch day EVO. I love Android. I push it on everyone possible.

However, there are a few things I hate about this dang thing.

1. When plugged in to aux in my car and get a phone call I have to unplug the audio cable and answer the phone. One my EVO I could just hit speakerphone and talk into the phone and hear the caller through the cars speakers. When the call was done it would just go back to what it was doing.

2. The media volume defaults to 50% after unplugging the audio cable. If I'm getting in and out of the car and plugging and unplugging it, I always have to turn the phone volume back up. It ties into my first complaint because I have to do it after every phone call.

3. Shutter sound on camera. Enough said.

4. Pathetic vibration.

5. GPS. GPS. GPS. This is my third ETGSII. I bought this one new off contract and handed my "old" one down to my daughter. The original had GPS issues from day one. It couldn't find a satellite. They replaced that one (the one that my daughter now has) and it is better but I have the same problem others have reported. I have to use GPS Test to clear the whatever to MAYBE get it to work.

When I bought this new one the GPS was amazing. It was as good as my EVO was which never once didn't work. It was amazing. Lately though I've been having the same GPS issues with my newest phone. It is absurd that Samsung can't fix this issue or include a GPS chip that works.

Other than that, I love this phone. The battery life is amazing. The screen is amazing.

I guess I just needed to vent. I sure hope their next phone doesn't have these issues.
    04-17-2012 11:12 AM
    First off, I OVERALL love this device. I came from a launch day EVO. I love Android. I push it on everyone possible.

1. When plugged in to aux in my car and get a phone call I have to unplug the audio cable and answer the phone. One my EVO I could just hit speakerphone and talk into the phone and hear the caller through the cars speakers. When the call was done it would just go back to what it was doing.

2. The media volume defaults to 50% after unplugging the audio cable. If I'm getting in and out of the car and plugging and unplugging it, I always have to turn the phone volume back up. It ties into my first complaint because I have to do it after every phone call.

4. Pathetic vibration.

5. GPS. GPS. GPS. This is my third ETGSII. I bought this one new off contract and handed my "old" one down to my daughter. The original had GPS issues from day one. It couldn't find a satellite. They replaced that one (the one that my daughter now has) and it is better but I have the same problem others have reported. I have to use GPS Test to clear the whatever to MAYBE get it to work.

When I bought this new one the GPS was amazing. It was as good as my EVO was which never once didn't work. It was amazing. Lately though I've been having the same GPS issues with my newest phone. It is absurd that Samsung can't fix this issue or include a GPS chip that works.

Other than that, I love this phone. The battery life is amazing. The screen is amazing.

I guess I just needed to vent. I sure hope their next phone doesn't have these issues.
    1. This is because of the Vlingo integration, supposed to optimize the experience but if you don't use vlingo then you lose out on features.

2. Imagine if you use headphones, get out of the car plug in some earbuds, then BAM! ear drums blasted with music. Possible grounds for a lawsuit if someone's hearing is affected.

3. I agree, but this is fixed with an app or rooting.

4. Vibration is completely adjustable in ICS.

5. GPS always sucks on Samsung phones, HTC is noticeably better.

I totally agree with what you have said and they way you have said it. Unfortunately there are no perfect cell phones yet, not even the iPhone can claim that title. They are definitely getting better, just think about the idea that you have a fully (pretty close) functioning gps navigation system inside your phone! Just a few years ago this was not even possible. Oh and remember making everyone happy is impossible, people will always disagree.
    04-17-2012 11:23 AM
    1. Is there a way to get rid of Vlingo or is it built in? I mean, I seriously can't listen to music in my car and take a call without a:unplugging aux cable b: take the phone out of universal holder/dock c:finish call d:replace in dock e: replug in aux cable f: turn media volume back up. Not a very good experience. A HUGE step backwards from my EVO which just made sense...maybe Sense was the difference.

2. I get it but it was never an issue with my Evo

3. I've been close. I actually rooted the phone I ended up giving to my daughter but was too scared to try any roms. It was beyond my comfort zone. I just see no reason for them to have excluded the option. I've heard the argument that they had to leave it out which I think we all know is BS. It sounds stupid but I hardly use the camera anymore because it bothers me so much.

4. The intensity is adjustable? That's what I meant. It is so weak I miss calls and texts all the time. On every phone I've had prior to this one I could hear it vibrating on a table dang near anywhere in the house.

4(a) BTW, I had to get an app to change the alert modes. This phone doesn't appear to have an option for vibration only. I can either choose silent or sound AND vibration. What's up with that?

5. The GPS. Seriously? What a joke. I had to teach my 11 yr old daughter how to use GPS test to clear stuff out just in case the GPS isn't working. Before anyone asks why my 11 yr old has a GSII, it's because my wife didn't want it and wanted to stick with the EVO. I bought it for her and she didn't want it. I'm kinda glad in a way because at least my 11 yr old can get the gps to work. That would fry my wife's brain.

It's just so frustrating because I am such a huge android fan, evangelist even. My kids are completely brainwashed. I always say how awesome it is and then stupid stuff like this happens and I sometimes question whether or not an iPhone or Windows might be better.

Glaring issues like these shouldn't happen and I shouldn't have to root/rom to make it work.
    04-17-2012 11:42 AM
    the gps does truly suck
    04-17-2012 11:55 AM
    1. Is there a way to get rid of Vlingo or is it built in? I mean, I seriously can't listen to music in my car and take a call without a:unplugging aux cable b: take the phone out of universal holder/dock c:finish call d:replace in dock e: replug in aux cable f: turn media volume back up. Not a very good experience. A HUGE step backwards from my EVO which just made sense...maybe Sense was the difference.

2. I get it but it was never an issue with my Evo

3. I've been close. I actually rooted the phone I ended up giving to my daughter but was too scared to try any roms. It was beyond my comfort zone. I just see no reason for them to have excluded the option. I've heard the argument that they had to leave it out which I think we all know is BS. It sounds stupid but I hardly use the camera anymore because it bothers me so much.

4. The intensity is adjustable? That's what I meant. It is so weak I miss calls and texts all the time. On every phone I've had prior to this one I could hear it vibrating on a table dang near anywhere in the house.

4(a) BTW, I had to get an app to change the alert modes. This phone doesn't appear to have an option for vibration only. I can either choose silent or sound AND vibration. What's up with that?

5. The GPS. Seriously? What a joke. I had to teach my 11 yr old daughter how to use GPS test to clear stuff out just in case the GPS isn't working. Before anyone asks why my 11 yr old has a GSII, it's because my wife didn't want it and wanted to stick with the EVO. I bought it for her and she didn't want it. I'm kinda glad in a way because at least my 11 yr old can get the gps to work. That would fry my wife's brain.

It's just so frustrating because I am such a huge android fan, evangelist even. My kids are completely brainwashed. I always say how awesome it is and then stupid stuff like this happens and I sometimes question whether or not an iPhone or Windows might be better.

Glaring issues like these shouldn't happen and I shouldn't have to root/rom to make it work.
    You actually can solve the first 3 by rooting(which is never a reasonable answer), GPS will never be better because it is a hardware issue, 4 & 4a will be fixed in the next update. Honestly, my recommendation to you is stick with HTC android phones. The HTC evo is probably one of the reasons that android is as popular as it is. HTC and SenseUI create a very well rounded user experience out of the box.
    04-17-2012 12:36 PM
    You actually can solve the first 3 by rooting(which is never a reasonable answer), GPS will never be better because it is a hardware issue, 4 & 4a will be fixed in the next update. Honestly, my recommendation to you is stick with HTC android phones. The HTC evo is probably one of the reasons that android is as popular as it is. HTC and SenseUI create a very well rounded user experience out of the box.
    I may end up rooting but you're right, that's never an acceptable answer. I mean, I worry about Android as a platform sometimes because of stuff like this. Maybe it's not that big of deal to some people but I can see where iOS would appeal to "less technical" people.

I loved my Evo. LOVED!!!! I made the switch from webos for it and it opened my eyes to a whole new Android world. It was a damn solid device (although I did have those stupid hot spots on the screen) but the battery life killed it for me. What an absolute joke. I couldn't go half a day without charging. I tried everything and could never get it to improve.

I'd love to stick with HTC but the Evo 4g isn't blowing my skirt up. I can not believe they can't make a phone without a giant protruding camera. Ok, I can live with it. I'd love to have the kickstand back. The screen sounds great.

The deal breaker is the non-removable battery. I can't have that. I hope it isn't the future of Android devices. At least they had sense to use removable storage. The Nexus doesn't excite me too much. The GSIII may be nice.

What I really want is a Note.

BTW, if the GPS is a hardware issue why can it be fixed with GPS test? Why does it work awesome sometimes and not others? I 'm not convinced it's ALL hardware.
    04-17-2012 12:49 PM
    GPS is a modem issue. I hated stock EL29 due to lack of modem coming form the last official release.

I ended using Stock Rooted EL29 ROM/Kernel with FC15 modem.
    I get fast GPS locks, good data speeds, NO LOS and good battery life.
    04-17-2012 06:15 PM
    GPS is a modem issue. I hated stock EL29 due to lack of modem coming form the last official release.

I ended using Stock Rooted EL29 ROM/Kernel with FC15 modem.
    I get fast GPS locks, good data speeds, NO LOS and good battery life.
    I tend to agree with this. I believe Samsung's past and present issues with GPS rests mainly with their apparent inability to write effective software drivers. Android software has always been Samsung's weak spot in my opinion, not hardware.
    04-17-2012 07:02 PM
    My GPS works like a charm, no joke. I travel half the time, and I use it extensively. I guess I just got lucky...
    04-17-2012 09:00 PM
    GPS is fixed in the latest TouchWiz ICS leaks.
    04-17-2012 09:09 PM
    dude the vibration on mine is nuts
    I can hear this thing with my noise blocking ear phones on at a low volume.
    I get looks from coworkers when it goes off.
    it's like a small scale replica of the enola gay was shoved in there for a motor.
    04-18-2012 08:14 AM

4. Pathetic vibration.

Absolutely agree on the gps issue. It takes a while to lock and when it does its off or position updates slowly. Also 3g has been slow to connect if 4G loses signal.
    04-18-2012 01:16 PM
    "4(a) BTW, I had to get an app to change the alert modes. This phone doesn't appear to have an option for vibration only. I can either choose silent or sound AND vibration. What's up with that?"

I turn my volume all the way down and its on vibrate only, so im not really sure what you mean there? And my understanding of the whole shutter sound is that pervs in asia would sneak upskirt pics on girls and be undetected, leading to lawsuits, so Samsung forced it on us to avoid the legal issues.

Either way, of every android phone ive messed around with this is easily one of the most impressive stock (no root).

My biggest complaint is, and always will be, the way manufacturers have to "skin" android. (I get why they have to, just wish they didn't)

Cheers to Android>the Yphone>wackberry>billgatesphone7>webOFF
    04-18-2012 02:12 PM
    Wow, I'm pumped if ICS will fix the GPS problem.

With regard to #1, I use a car dock with both an auxillary audio cable as well as bluetooth. So bluetooth is only for phone connectivity, and the auxillary audio is for everything else. (listening to music, etc) For me, this setup works perfectly. If I'm listening to music and a call comes in, it pauses the music and routes the call through my car stereo via bluetooth. After hanging up the call, it unpauses the music which then continues to play via the auxillary audio cable.
    04-18-2012 11:35 PM
    "4(a) BTW, I had to get an app to change the alert modes. This phone doesn't appear to have an option for vibration only. I can either choose silent or sound AND vibration. What's up with that?"

I turn my volume all the way down and its on vibrate only, so im not really sure what you mean there? And my understanding of the whole shutter sound is that pervs in asia would sneak upskirt pics on girls and be undetected, leading to lawsuits, so Samsung forced it on us to avoid the legal issues.

Either way, of every android phone ive messed around with this is easily one of the most impressive stock (no root).

My biggest complaint is, and always will be, the way manufacturers have to "skin" android. (I get why they have to, just wish they didn't)

um pull down the slide bar hit the sound icon it goes from a green speaker to a gray wavey thing that says vibration...
    orrrrrrr turn volume all the way down from the home screen, goes to vibrate.
    04-19-2012 07:55 AM

04-19-2012 08:46 PM
    If I turn the volume all the way down it shows the speaker with a slash through it and it is on silent.

When I pull down the notification bar it only goes from sound vibration to silent. Only two options.
    04-19-2012 08:48 PM
    dude the vibration on mine is nuts
    I can hear this thing with my noise blocking ear phones on at a low volume.
    I get looks from coworkers when it goes off.
    it's like a small scale replica of the enola gay
    was shoved in there for a motor.
    Mine is super weak. Funny how there can be such a big difference between units.
    04-19-2012 08:51 PM
    If I turn the volume all the way down it shows the speaker with a slash through it and it is on silent.

When I pull down the notification bar it only goes from sound vibration to silent. Only two options.
    Settings>Sounds>Vibration (mine is set on always)
    04-20-2012 10:04 AM
    I fixed my GPS by testing multiple modem.bin flashing them through Odin.

[Modem] [Odin] FD19! FD16, FD10, FD05, FC22, FC15, FC05, EL29, EL26, EL13, EG30, EK02

FD19 is the newest and just recently released leaked ICS modem.bin I believe. Just flashed it like 5 mins ago to test it out.
    04-20-2012 07:24 PM
    edited to delete
    07-13-2012 04:41 PM
    I did the manual update to ICS yesterday, and was really hoping it would improve the crappy GPS on this phone. At first things looked great. The GPS locked quickly, but after several hours it slowly returned to its previous suckiness. Today it doesn't seem to want to lock on a satellite at all!
    07-15-2012 12:53 PM
    My gps worked great on stock GB; when rooted and upgraded to ICS 4.0.3 that all went away and gps basically was unusable. Upgraded to 4.04 but flashed through older modems until found one that works and viola!, gps sweetness! No gps complaints now - it is as it was meant to be.
    07-15-2012 04:01 PM
    I agree with the OP. I have problems with the GPS as well. It takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes to get a lock if its sunny out with no clouds in the sky. I mainly use it if I am traveling out of state or want to know how far away I am from a specific destination.

I also swore there was a way to set the vibration intensity, but I couldn't find it.

Initially, when I first got the phone I hated that the screen wouldn't light up when I received a txt, only the LED would blink. My phone is on vibrate most of the time and I sometimes wear headphones while gaming, listening to music or working on stuff on the computer. I've gotten use to it never showing up, but it would've been handy a couple times when the gf was txting me and I was "ignoring" her. haha.
    07-16-2012 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD