Galaxy S III to have Quad-Core Processor -Verge

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This has been lining up for a little while now. The chip they're referring to here will likely end up being the Exynos 4412. However, a recent rumor from an unknown source said the US variants may include the dual core, Cortex A15 Exynos 5250.

This rumor kind of makes sense for me for a couple of reasons, one that leads to the other ...

1) There have been some reports that Samsung is trying to reduce or eliminate their dependency on Qualcomm, by manufacturing SoCs with their own radios rather than relying on Qualcomm.

2) Because of this, it wouldn't surprise me if Samsung pushed to get their 5250 into the US variants, to directly compete with Qualcomm's Krait S4, that is going into AT&T's HTC One X and the EVO 4G LTE. Also, with today's report of Qualcomm having supply issues on the S4, Samsung may make a bigger push to try to steal market share (imagine an HTC phone running a Exynos chip because Qualcomm couldn't meet demand).

This is all theory and baseless speculation on my part, but it's kind of making sense in my mind.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense to me too. I doubt it will be the 5 series quad core since that is supposed to be reserved for tablets. I doubt it will be the S4 since that would almost be a downgrade for an exynos powered gs2 user. I mean the cpu is fast but the gpu is from last year, I just don't get why they didn't put the Adreno 305 in it right away and are still screwing around with the 225. I was thinking about the whole quad exynos thing, maybe meizu is getting the old version that has the Mali 400 gpu just clocked higher, and maybe samsung would stick a Mali 604 into the version for the gs3? How else could they make a claim for stellar benchmarks. Also, samsung seems pretty flexible as was seen last year when they redesigned a tablet in just a few months and also how they just recently stopped galaxy tab 2 production to supposedly stick a faster chip in it. All this speculating is fun, and now that we have an actual date to look forward to I am more antsy than ever! Will there be word on the US carrier versions? HTC told everyone right away, maybe samsung will too this time. Will we see us versions at ctia? So many questions, and the days just drag by at a snails pace!

And finally, don't the 4 and 5 series exynos both have support for lte? Why would they have to use the S4? And forget the Tegra 3, that doesn't even support lte in its current configuration yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38