07-12-2012 02:18 PM
237 ... 56789 ...
tools
    While i love my samsung products, i really hate how they let thierdevices fall to the wayside like this.

Well i got tired of waitng and snagged an S3 which is clearly a better choice and running ICS.

Also did this without any hopes of a jelly bean update so if it comes ill take it.
    07-04-2012 06:04 PM
    I think I'm done with Samsung at this point. They never updated my og galaxy tab. Still haven't updated my galaxy tab 10 in and now no update for the epic

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    07-04-2012 06:30 PM
    I wish I was comfortable rooting... Else I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my computer to recognize my phone...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-04-2012 06:44 PM
    Just bit the bullet and do the custom rom. Its very straight forward. I updated to CM9 alpha 6 on my bro's sg2et. Just google QBKing youtube video and follow it.
    07-05-2012 12:58 AM
    Just bit the bullet and do the custom rom. Its very straight forward. I updated to CM9 alpha 6 on my bro's sg2et. Just google QBKing youtube video and follow it.
    Where did you find that build?

CM9 RC1 does not support Epic 4G Touch.
    07-05-2012 08:37 AM
    They should just call sprint "the root and rom network", lol. I'm glad they forced me to do it. It's a lot of fun.

07-05-2012 09:55 AM

You can get it here: [ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers
    07-05-2012 11:47 AM
    So, take a look at this ... Official Samsung-made ICS update... bricks the Galaxy Note in France

It's been known for a while now that the Galaxy Note suffers from the same EMMC firmware issue that our phone does, where issuing a wipe data command from recovery while on an ICS kernel can corrupt a portion of the EMMC chip and hard brick the device. The above article shows a circumstance where if the workaround is not implemented, simply doing a factory reset (which is essentially a data wipe) on a stock unrooted device can still hard brick it.

I feel fairly strongly now that the delay in our official ICS update has to do with this bug, and Sprint wanting to be absolutely certain that the updated firmware has the workaround implemented.
    07-05-2012 12:02 PM

Here I ported RC1 CM9 to the epic touch. go here....

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=185426

[ROM][KANG] CM9/AOKP Hybrid[Unofficial]

Sent From A Rotary Phone
    07-05-2012 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on the JayWill. Personally, this is what I think. 1. You are SAMSUNG. You can afford to hire the best devs out there to make updates go smoother and quicker. 2. Sprint as a carrier should want to be up to date with their devices and want Samsung to produce these updates to ICS and JB as quick as possible. That's my take on it. Also JayWill I trust you when it comes to ROMs. How's CM9 Alpha? or should I go with AOKP. leaked builds aren't doing it for me anymore.
    07-05-2012 01:26 PM
    I play DnD with at Sprint engineer, he said real soon. He hinted at crappy Samsung code being the reason for the delay.
    Downtown Taco likes this.
    07-05-2012 02:49 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on the JayWill. Personally, this is what I think. 1. You are SAMSUNG. You can afford to hire the best devs out there to make updates go smoother and quicker. 2. Sprint as a carrier should want to be up to date with their devices and want Samsung to produce these updates to ICS and JB as quick as possible. That's my take on it. Also JayWill I trust you when it comes to ROMs. How's CM9 Alpha? or should I go with AOKP. leaked builds aren't doing it for me anymore.
    Well, Samsung is a huge company, and their mobile division alone manages a giant portfolio of devices. When you're that big, things get missed, especially when your software engineers seem to continue to underperform. Oddly enough, it wasn't even Samsung who discovered the bug in their own EMMC firmware as it interacts with commands from the ICS kernel. It was members of the development community, along with help from an engineer at Google. There's a reason Samsung hired Steve Kondik, founder of Cyanogenmod. It's clear that they need to increase the talent pool in their software development department.

Regarding your question on CM9 vs. AOKP, it's very subjective, and which one is better boils down to a matter of personal opinion. Generally speaking, you'd probably find that CM9 is a bit more stable and better on battery life, while AOKP is more feature rich with more tweaks and settings.

The best advice I have is to try both for about a week and come to your own conclusions. With that said, I personally prefer AOKP ... for now.
    07-05-2012 03:25 PM
    Well, Samsung is a huge company, and their mobile division alone manages a giant portfolio of devices. When you're that big, things get missed, especially when your software engineers seem to continue to underperform. Oddly enough, it wasn't even Samsung who discovered the bug in their own EMMC firmware as it interacts with commands from the ICS kernel. It was members of the development community, along with help from an engineer at Google. There's a reason Samsung hired Steve Kondik, founder of Cyanogenmod. It's clear that they need to increase the talent pool in their software development department.

Regarding your question on CM9 vs. AOKP, it's very subjective, and which one is better boils down to a matter of personal opinion. Generally speaking, you'd probably find that CM9 is a bit more stable and better on battery life, while AOKP is more feature rich with more tweaks and settings.

The best advice I have is to try both for about a week and come to your own conclusions. With that said, I personally prefer AOKP ... for now.
    Thank you sir! I was a little hopeful for ICS with the leaked builds but after FF18 it's just died down. I put all hope in ROMs to help me continue to love this phone.
    07-05-2012 03:56 PM
    CM9 is AOSP right? I want a pure (or close to) Android experience. I'm not sure if I should wait for the OTA on this phone (Who knows when that with be...) or jump the gun and root. And no, I'm not using AOKP. Would it be easier to root now or after OTA?

07-06-2012 03:08 AM
    CM9 is AOSP right? I want a pure (or close to) Android experience. I'm not sure if I should wait for the OTA on this phone (Who knows when that with be...) or jump the gun and root. And no, I'm not using AOKP. Would it be easier to root now or after OTA?

Yes, cm9 is aosp. You might as well just root now, you have nothing to lose. Just make sure to read a lot on everything before you start messing with things and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Click here for custom mods for your E4GT
    07-06-2012 04:10 AM

I would root now. Every time an update comes out, it seems to prevent the current root methods from doing their job. They tend to block the exploit.

As Sn1per said, read up on it as much as possible. I even watched videos on how to root my E4GT (when I had it) and it made the process a lot easier since I could see what was going to happen. If you have any questions, be sure to ask them! Anyone here (or over at XDA) will help you out
    07-06-2012 07:45 AM
    I've been coming closer and closer to rooting my device and installing something from a ROM perspective. I think the things that keep me away from it are just the pure quantity of available roms. I have no idea what the best one to install is and for which reason. CM9 is AOSP and that idea to be is great. I've seen others that incorporate tweaks and other fixes and every available piece of awesomeness (see ☼[ROM] Frankenstein's FIFO2 (FF02 ICS) (Deodexed)☼ 6/10/2012 - xda-developers )

Others seems to incorporate other elements that make it great. That confusion has led me to stand pat for now.

Any thoughts on this?
    07-06-2012 08:15 AM
    What about for the EVO 3d

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
    07-06-2012 08:17 AM
    I've been coming closer and closer to rooting my device and installing something from a ROM perspective. I think the things that keep me away from it are just the pure quantity of available roms. I have no idea what the best one to install is and for which reason. CM9 is AOSP and that idea to be is great. I've seen others that incorporate tweaks and other fixes and every available piece of awesomeness (see ☼[ROM] Frankenstein's FIFO2 (FF02 ICS) (Deodexed)☼ 6/10/2012 - xda-developers )

Others seems to incorporate other elements that make it great. That confusion has led me to stand pat for now.

Any thoughts on this?
    The amount of ROMs for the E4GT can defintely set some people back from rooting. There are so many to choose from. I think I've tried like 6-8 ROMs before I settled down

I'll list the ones I liked and you can check them out

[ROM] Super Galaxy Rom V1.5 | De-Odexed, Rooted, ICS 4.0.4 FF18| Updated 07/05/12 - xda-developers (ICS blue themed)

[ROM] [TeaM VeNuM] RUJELUS22 The Blu Kuban FF18 (ICS 4.0.4) (Updated 7-2-12) - xda-developers (dark themed)

[ROM][TN] MIJJz ICS {MINI 6/30}{GOODNESS 6/27}{LTD 6/25}{NO-NAME}{SLIM} - xda-developers (I used XPLOD MINI)
    oskar1995 likes this.
    07-06-2012 08:31 AM
    VDub,

Thanks for the feedback. There definitely are a million options, and having some insight into your "greatest hits" certainly helps.

I think my other hangup at times is just the perception (or the reality) that there are a million different components of the "development" process. In reading through forums I see buzz words like: odin, CM, CWM, deodexed, roms, kernels, flashing, recovery, rooting, yellow triangles, flash counts, unlocking the boot loaders, etc. I'd like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent person however I'm uneasy that what i will end up doing causes me a ton of problems. Sadly, when I try to break down all of this information (the stuff on XDA as well as here is incredible) I just find more stuff to be confused about.
    07-06-2012 08:44 AM
    The sheer quantity of roms is part of what makes it fun, for me at least :P Don't freak yourself out about it. It's just a phone, have a little fun with it. If something goes awry you can always borrow your grandma's flip phone!

07-06-2012 09:48 AM
    VDub,

Thanks for the feedback. There definitely are a million options, and having some insight into your "greatest hits" certainly helps.

I think my other hangup at times is just the perception (or the reality) that there are a million different components of the "development" process. In reading through forums I see buzz words like: odin, CM, CWM, deodexed, roms, kernels, flashing, recovery, rooting, yellow triangles, flash counts, unlocking the boot loaders, etc. I'd like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent person however I'm uneasy that what i will end up doing causes me a ton of problems. Sadly, when I try to break down all of this information (the stuff on XDA as well as here is incredible) I just find more stuff to be confused about.
    No problem

It can be confusing when you first read through everything. All those buzz words will become part of your regular vocabulary. I was a bit taken back when I first started reading about rooting my E4GT. What I did was watch the video on rooting the E4GT by QBKing77. It made it much easier on me since I'm the type that learns faster from visual tools.

Odin is going to be your best friend the whole time you're rooted. It's a magical program.....lol

CWM (ClockWorkMod) is your recovery that you'll use to flash ROMs.

Flashing is the process used to install ROMs to your phone.

ROMs can change the look and even the OS version of your phone. Some devs include tweaks to make battery life better or make your phone run smoother.

I used the OneClick program over at XDA to root my phone. That program did everything for me (including unlocking my bootloader).
    oskar1995 and Downtown Taco like this.
    07-06-2012 10:07 AM
    just talk to a sprint rep they claim that the ics update is schedule for release next week hope so been waiting to long
    dev2nsu likes this.
    07-06-2012 12:12 PM
    Can someone please post a link to the most recent build on CM9 for our phone? And is there a way I can back up the data on my phone? Example, progress on certain apps? I can put photos and music on my PC, contacts are synced to Google...what am I missing? Thanks for the help guys

07-06-2012 12:44 PM
    Downtown Taco,

I had started a thread that touched on the topic of backing up certain apps and such.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ggestions.html

The general gist is that Titanium Backup Pro is the best option there. It DOES require root, and does cost a few bucks, but it is the best one out there. As for SMS, multiple people also mentioned SMS Backup and Restore.

Unfortunately I can't help you out with the most recent build of CM9.
    07-06-2012 01:00 PM
237 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD