Still no ICS...........

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else been waiting days and days for this?
I'm not that savy too root and I just want to enjoy android 4.0 :(

I've been using one of the Custom ICS ROMs on XDA and they're almost there in terms of functionality. I would really be surprised if the ICS offical release is not rolled out by the end of this month to the US carriers.

I'm not tech savvy either but if you check youtube they basically spoon feed you on how to root and install a particular ROM of your choice. Just FYI...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'd say it's close. Build pushes have slowed down to about 1 per week now. However there are two major issues that still exist in the most recent build:

1) Notification sound bug - If after a call ends you hit the back or home button to immediately exit the call screen, notification sounds will bug and stop working until you reboot, or place a call then end it and let the call screen close on its own.

2) Bluetooth media - This seems to be limited to certain Bluetooth devices, as it doesn't get much coverage, but I'm personally having Bluetooth media audio issues in both of my cars. Others have reported similar issues as mine, but some have no problems at all. Again, I believe it's a compatibility issue with some but not all Bluetooth media devices.

While the end of April is certainly possible, I think mid-May is more likely at this point.

Reactions: Titus37

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'd say it's close. Build pushes have slowed down to about 1 per week now. However there are two major issues that still exist in the most recent build:

1) Notification sound bug - If after a call ends you hit the back or home button to immediately exit the call screen, notification sounds will bug and stop working until you reboot, or place a call then end it and let the call screen close on its own.

2) Bluetooth media - This seems to be limited to certain Bluetooth devices, as it doesn't get much coverage, but I'm personally having Bluetooth media audio issues in both of my cars. Others have reported similar issues as mine, but some have no problems at all. Again, I believe it's a compatibility issue with some but not all Bluetooth media devices.

While the end of April is certainly possible, I think mid-May is more likely at this point.

What audio issues do you deal with Jay? I use the bluetooth with my car everyday and I haven't had any issues so kinda curious.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What audio issues do you deal with Jay? I use the bluetooth with my car everyday and I haven't had any issues so kinda curious.

It's different in each car, so I'll break it down ...

Sony Xplod BT3900U Car Stereo

When playing media audio via bluetooth to the stereo, the phone will randomly hot reboot. When it happens the audio cuts out, bluetooth disconnects, and the phone goes to the Sprint bootanimation screen (without the boot sound) and restarts. In order to get bluetooth to re-connect, I have to toggle it off, then on again on both the stereo and phone. The reboots are truly random. Sometimes it's a few minutes in, and sometimes it's 20 minutes or more. Also, it happens on a variety of players, including the stock player, Google Music, Power Amp, and Mort Audiobook Player.

The workaround I use involves entering the pairing settings on the phone for my Sony stereo, and uncheck media audio, then plug in a cable from the headphone jack to the Aux input on the stereo. This gives me both bluetooth calls and media audio with no reboots. But I far prefer not using a cable.

Bluetooth media audio always worked flawlessly with the same Sony stereo on the GB ROMs.

2011 Infiniti QX56 Audio System

When first connecting bluetooth media to the phone, after a short pause it will disconnect. Then about 15 seconds later it will re-connect on its own. From there it will play just fine ... until a call comes in. When a call is ended, media audio doesn't resume playing, and bluetooth completely disconnects. Toggling bluetooth on the phone won't re-pair it. I have to manually turn off bluetooth audio on the stereo, which you can't do while driving (the touchscreen is disabled for safety reasons).

So there you have it. I hope Samsung reads this lol.

Reactions: Titus37 and skyo12

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
This is the last time I buy a phone that promises a system update.

The update will be available before I buy next time.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This is the last time I buy a phone that promises a system update.

The update will be available before I buy next time.

Samsung will release ICS as promised for the SGSII.

You do realize though, if you wait for the next update to be available before you purchase, it's going to be one-long-wait. Just think, if you were to purchase an ICS phone right this instant your going to be dissapointed because Jelly Bean is right around the corner making your statement an endless loop. So you might as well wait for Jelly Bean, Boston Cream Pie, Chocolate Frosted cake, or whatever the next android OS is for cell phones.

nextelfixer

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else been waiting days and days for this?
I'm not that savy too root and I just want to enjoy android 4.0 :(

I have been afraid of rooting my phone too but if you use the one click method by sfhub over on xda, you will have a stock rooted ICS rom in about 4 minutes with only one click and virtually no chance of bricking or damaging your phone. I have been flashing these since the first ICS Leak was posted and they work great. Give it a try and I'm sure you will be happy.

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FD19_CL427224 (FD19 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been afraid of rooting my phone too but if you use the one click method by sfhub over on xda, you will have a stock rooted ICS rom in about 4 minutes with only one click and virtually no chance of bricking or damaging your phone. I have been flashing these since the first ICS Leak was posted and they work great. Give it a try and I'm sure you will be happy.

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FD19_CL427224 (FD19 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

QBKing77 does a heck of a job walking you through a lot on YouTube. Check it out.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd gladly wait for a polished 4.0 than one released too soon with bugs. Plus, the official ics release for our device won't be Vanilla. So there will be little visual difference in what we currently have. Unless, of course, if you root and install a vanilla build, which you can do know.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes that is the one that shows you how to root the current EL29 firmware (Gingerbread). The process is the same for the ICS ROM leaks though. Going from GB to ICS, you will probably want to flash the FULL WIPE reset version, as your GB data may not play nice with ICS.

Here is qbking77's video on how to flash the ICS FC16 leaked build How to Install the leaked FD16 ICS Build on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - YouTube

The latest is FD19 however, so I'd download that one but follow the video instructions for FD16 as the process is the same.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung will release ICS as promised for the SGSII.

You do realize though, if you wait for the next update to be available before you purchase, it's going to be one-long-wait. Just think, if you were to purchase an ICS phone right this instant your going to be dissapointed because Jelly Bean is right around the corner making your statement an endless loop. So you might as well wait for Jelly Bean, Boston Cream Pie, Chocolate Frosted cake, or whatever the next android OS is for cell phones.

When Sprint released E4GT they made a big deal out of ICS coming soon. Due to the ridiculous fragmentation of Android carriers that feel that they have to customize the software so much that it takes extra effort to create the next build. Sprint even demanded hardware changes.

So the situation in the US is pretty bad. You've got teams of carrier people who have to justify their jobs by pouring out bloat ware. All the bloat ware that US carriers put in to a build slows down the update process to the point that you get faster Android updates by buying a different phone rather than waiting for a phone to be updated. This is a classic case of bureaucratic waist.

Its also one of the reasons that US carriers charge so much more than carriers in Europe.

Then you have US carriers (like Verizon) intentionally making their phones incompatible with other carriers, even GSM phones that are supposed to be world phones.

The kind of stupid stuff that gets congress talking about dismembering US carriers. If that happens, then US carriers have pretty much brought it on themselves.

Its a real mess.

Reactions: fofjjsr

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is the one that shows you how to root the current EL29 firmware (Gingerbread). The process is the same for the ICS ROM leaks though. Going from GB to ICS, you will probably want to flash the FULL WIPE reset version, as your GB data may not play nice with ICS.

Here is qbking77's video on how to flash the ICS FC16 leaked build How to Install the leaked FD16 ICS Build on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - YouTube

The latest is FD19 however, so I'd download that one but follow the video instructions for FD16 as the process is the same.

Gonna flash this today just to test things out.

CandleStick69

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
hey i put this on my epic 4g touch, and it runs good besides that i can't get vibration to work for notifications i've tried a lot of apps and I use GOSMS and i tried handcent and others and still no luck.
i have it enabled in the system settings too

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
hey i put this on my epic 4g touch, and it runs good besides that i can't get vibration to work for notifications i've tried a lot of apps and I use GOSMS and i tried handcent and others and still no luck.
i have it enabled in the system settings too

Under the Sound menu in Settings, you have the "Vibrate and ring" box checked?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
When Sprint released E4GT they made a big deal out of ICS coming soon. Due to the ridiculous fragmentation of Android carriers that feel that they have to customize the software so much that it takes extra effort to create the next build. Sprint even demanded hardware changes.

So the situation in the US is pretty bad. You've got teams of carrier people who have to justify their jobs by pouring out bloat ware. All the bloat ware that US carriers put in to a build slows down the update process to the point that you get faster Android updates by buying a different phone rather than waiting for a phone to be updated. This is a classic case of bureaucratic waist.

Its also one of the reasons that US carriers charge so much more than carriers in Europe.

Then you have US carriers (like Verizon) intentionally making their phones incompatible with other carriers, even GSM phones that are supposed to be world phones.

The kind of stupid stuff that gets congress talking about dismembering US carriers. If that happens, then US carriers have pretty much brought it on themselves.

Its a real mess.

Oh I agree. But the point still is that the E4GT will get ICS. Might be 2026 but it will still get it.

But still the problem is that people will shell out $600 smacks for a new phone just for the "new" update leaving their perfectly good phone to rot (even though it's going to get the update later)...or they just sell it. The carriers and manufacturers know this so to up their bottom line and sales numbers, they intentionally wait to release updates until full price sales (even subsidized sales) to dwindle and the hype is over. Only then do they release the update for the older phone. It's not a Gov't conspiracy, it's good business but sucks for the consumer.

The bloatware needs to go but that ain't gonna happen. As long as there is money to made to both, bloat is here to stay. The carriers did bring it on themselves but do you think they really care? No. Why? Because people will still buy it just because it's the next best thing. Until they slow down on manufacturing of new phones and spewing them out like poop in an outhouse, fragmentation and wait times for updates are just going to get longer.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
That is exactly it. Everybody wants the newest or best. Same running went rounds in the PC battles of the 1990s. If you didn't have that Pentium three Coppermine core then you were just last months garbage. Now its come to the mobile market more than ever. Hell, my HTC HD7s was outdated three Weeks after its initial release on att. But, that's were marketing strategy comes into play. Let the galaxy nexus settle in for a couple Weeks and then you'll see this update come along with a newline of ICS bearing phones. That way the retailers can pull the most sales from the nexus as calling it the only ICS phone. its just good business, not for us, but especially for sprint and Verizon who both now carry the galaxy nexus. For me, I think i'm going to head into the custom ROM department and say screw the official software anyway i know I'll get more out of my phone that way. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles