Does iphone have better connectivity than Samsung Galaxy SII Epic

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to smartphones and sparing what time I can to climb the steep learning curve. Any helpful info about the problem I'm experiencing will be appreciated!

• I'm running an app to process credit card charges. The location I run charges from has not changed.
  • My carrier is Sprint. The data plan has not changed.
When I had an iphone, the app worked speedily with never a failed transaction. But I didn't care for other aspects of that phone, so I switched to this Samsung.

Now, the app is slow: I often have to sign in twice because the first one doesn't go through, and processing is noticeably slower and even times out about 30% of the time.

Since everything else is the same, I'm thinking it's the hardware, and I'll need to go back to the iphone for trouble-free running of this app.

Please share your experience/knowledge--TIA!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Does iphone have better connectivity than Samsung Galaxy SII

Try uninstalling your app in question. Then update your profile and prl (you'll find those in main settings of the phone), reboot, then reinstall the app.

The original install may have borked itself somehow causing to behave badly. Also, it can also be slow if you have alot of apps syncing in the background such as facebook, gmail, twitter, backups, and etc.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

What's "prl"?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I took it into Sprint and they updated the profile (maybe the prl, too?), so now I know how to do that.

FYI, I don't use facebook, gmail, twitter, or backups (since turning off google sync, as everything on google disappeared at some point with no apparent cause--also google-entered data disappeared, so I have to find a more reliable backup).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

The app may process data differently for iOS apps than than it does Google Apps. Also, the app for Android could be poorly written and its having issues connecting to the server.

Another possibility is the fact that the Android device has a weaker connectivity than the iPhone. The radios/antenna are built into the devices differently so results may vary. With the Samsung, do you generally see a connection problem with other apps and web browsing? Or just that one app?

If it's only that one app then perhaps is specific to the app and not the device. I'd try and send an email or bug report to the developer and see how they respond.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Oh...well, that makes sense. Thanks for clueing in this newbie.

I've had extensive conversations with Intuit support, the maker of the app.

I haven't done much web browsing, but it's certainly slower than my computer. I use only really basic stuff, like the phone itself, and the calendar.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

flywithlloyd, can you point me to some info about the relative antenna/reception strength of the iphone 4 over the samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g touch?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

You can view technical information about both phones online. If the app is vital and all the you use the Samsung for is calendar and light browsing then iphone might be what you need.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I didn't have any luck finding technical info that would allow me to compare the quality of the antenna each phone has. If you have any links to share, that would be helpful!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I meant the hardware specs/design. It will be very hard to find a true comparison review of the antenna's from both devices since results vary based on a number of factors, including antenna placement in the device, location of use and software enhancements. The only way to have a true performance comparison is to use each device yourself and see what works best.

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Question. Was your iphone from sprint or was it from verizon or att?

If it wasn't a sprint iphone then welcome to sprint buddy!

On a side note - A lot of people (including myself) had a dramatic increase in 3g speeds after updating into the leaked ICS FD19 modem. Ofcourse you have to root (read, read, read, and ask questions after you read) but the increase in 3g speeds is quite phenomenal.

I use to get 100-200 kbps at my house now i get 500-800 kbps (ofcourse wimax is still same old 8-12 mbps and my wifi is faster)...

Just saying

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

That's what I was afraid of. Posting was a last-ditch effort to see if I could learn anything to salvage the samsung and avoid having to switch back.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

IF you truly do like the Sammy device take a few extra minutes to try to do a ROOT and change out the modems. I know stock EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM are not very stable. Well the Modem isnt. I am running a Stock Rooted device and have put FC15 modem in my device and my data speeds are better, battery life is better, GPS is quick and overall the device is running well.
there are some pretty easy methods for rooting which leaves the device as stock as possible.
My guess is the slow data speeds are causing your transactions to time out on their end.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I wish I had the time and knowledge to do it, but unfortunately I don't think I can take that on right now, esp. given my inexperience and the crucial-ness of having a fully functioning phone at all times...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance