Wifi is continually scanning

boriqua2000

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Is this normal? I never noticed before. I always use the same wifi network when im at home but i just noticed that even though im connected my phone is continually scanning. Im guessing this is draining my battery. Is there a way to make it stop scanning automatically? View attachment 24980

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this on mine as well, and yet my battery life is pretty darn good. I unplug it in the morning, and plug it in at night before I go to bed. And I use my phone a fair amount throughout the day. Texts, calls, and web surfing as well as some game playing are all common things for me on any given day. I'm connected to wi-fi more than I am to 3g or 4g as well. I don't know why it seems to always be scanning for wireless networks, but it has not seemed to affect me negatively in any way that I can tell.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well first off, unless you really need it, I would uncheck "Network notification". That way your phone is not constantly scanning for open wifi networks.

Also, there was some discussion on this topic quite awhile back, and the conclusion was that wifi scanning is only taking place while you have that settings screen open, and stops when you close it (unless you have Network notification enabled).

I should also mention that this has changed on the ICS ROM for this phone. In ICS, there is now a scan button.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I unchecked it and it's still scanning. Also if you hit the menu button there is a scan button.

Yeah unchecking that box won't stop the scanning while you have the wifi settings window open, only disable notification pop ups when you enter the area of an open wifi network. Regarding the scan button and ICS, what I meant was, that scanning message and circle doesn't exist on the ICS ROM, and the scan button is at the bottom of the screen rather than in the menu.

But even with the settings menu open, you will still see different networks pop in and out of the list, which tells me it's still scanning. However, as I said in my first reply, the standing theory is the phone stops scanning for networks when that settings window is closed. Whether that's indeed the case or not I don't know.

If you're rooted, you can edit the build.prop file to increase the wifi scanning interval, but that's the only way I know how to improve the situation other than turning wifi off completely.

gingram

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been doing the same thing after the update...Now my battery is draining faster...maybe from the constant scanning?

panamar

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
just remove some of the saved networks on your list to make its job a little easier, I believe that when you get out of that menu wifi stops scanning. no problems with battery as of yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77