07-21-2013 07:57 PM
75 123
tools
    Is the Galaxy SII capable of using the new LTE 4G network? That is the only 4G I will ever get in Northern .Alabama, I'm sure. If we ever even get that.
    No it will not, as it doesn't contain LTE hardware. It actually will no longer be capable of 4G once WiMax is decommissioned, but that's way off in the distant future, and everyone will likely have upgraded their devices by then.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-31-2012 06:30 PM
    Is the Galaxy SII capable of using the new LTE 4G network? That is the only 4G I will ever get in Northern .Alabama, I'm sure. If we ever even get that.
    No sorry. Wimax only
    05-31-2012 06:30 PM
    No the galaxy s2 is a wiimax phone
    but I was told sprint is putting up lte and wiimax towers
    06-01-2012 08:59 PM
    Only lte, wimax is being shut off in 2014

Sent using my MoPho-King photon
    06-02-2012 08:36 AM
    I don't understand why people who get 4G service are in the thread complaining at all at the OP. Be happy and move on, you are just hating.

Wimax was and still is a joke. It was never fully deployed as promised and people have a right to be angry about it. The sub par 3G network is now overloaded.

And the LTE upgrade in California is a complete mess and anyone saying other wise is lying to you.

But back on topic, suing is pointless.

I have learned to just live with the slow speeds and use WiFi mostly.
    06-02-2012 01:22 PM
    4G Wimax was a good endeavor for Sprint. Sprint needed customer base, and the only way to take customer away from AT&T and the iPhone and Verizon's reliable blanket coverage was to advertise the 4G Wimax almost 2 years before reliable LTE was announced. (HSPA+ does not count. Im looking at you T-Mobile).

Obviously, it worked for them especially when they launched it with the original EVO.

4G Wimax would have probably been Sprint's major 4G radio, but sadly Clear never lived up to their potential even after Sprint essentially bought more than 50% of the company. Clear could never get the essential funding to build out its network, and Sprint realized before it became too late. Now sadly, Sprint is now playing catch up.

Read Sprint's Network Vision. It shows very interesting data and some promising results. True 3g speeds can be very disgusting, but there are articles around stating that Sprint just received 2 billion dollars in equipment funding for their Network Vision Build-out.

I plan to stay with Sprint. Unlimited Data is what keeps me with them, and if they ever decide to drop it, I will probably go with Verizon.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-05-2012 12:43 AM
    I don't understand why people who get 4G service are in the thread complaining at all at the OP. Be happy and move on, you are just hating.
    Yes, I GET 4g but I honestly barely use it... I'm on 3g 90% of the time

06-05-2012 03:04 PM
    I believe it is time. I too am stuck in a contract even though Sprint cannot provide data services to my Samsung Galaxy 2. I work in the heart of the downrtown area yet have no internet connection and even texts fail. Sprint sent me a booster. The owner of the ISP used at my workplace won't allow it to be hooked up. He stated that what Sprint is doing is stealing his bandwith by having his company provide the services I pay Spring to provide. I'm sending a letter to Sprint and to the FCC but I don/t expect any satisfaction. All I've received from Sprint so far is representatives that seem intent on torturing me by wasting hours and hours on the phone with them. I've been with Sprint all the years I've owned a cell phone but can tell you that customer loyalty to Sprint doesn't mean a thing to Sprint. If a class action is in the works, please count me in. The owner of my ISP would back me up. He's surely not happy with what Sprint is doing. Like me, he believes stealing is wrong!
    07-12-2012 02:52 PM
    As previously stated, nowhere in the contract does it state that you will get service everywhere. Especially inside buildings...

What do you really expect from them? Illegally build a rf tower inside your building? They did what they could by providing the airave. If you can't use it, sorry...

Not trying to be a d**k, just a realist...

thenameisnigel likes this.
    07-12-2012 08:16 PM
    i want to jump ship, its a shame when tmo is faster than sprint
    07-12-2012 11:19 PM
    I hate Sprint speeds now. There years, and they were getting better. Several months ago suddenly 3g and 4g started falling off.

I am sure it is their moving to LTE, as they do not possibly have the ability to ruin three great networks.

But...we ALL knew this when we signed up.

I am going to Verizon as soon as as I can get my wife an iPhone 5... As she hates Sprint. Will get S3, or other lte.

Suing Sprint is just opportunistic people that want checks for $1.37 while making some law firm a couple of million. Not cool.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-12-2012 11:52 PM
    When I first joined Sprint 4 or 5 years ago, they had service in my home and at my work, and decent speeds. Now I've been without data for almost a full month now at my place of employment, except for 1 parking spot out of 200 I get weak 4g. No 3g at all, and for about 2 weeks I didn't even have text service.

I was told multiple times I would receive credit on my bill for lack of service. Still isn't there.

I'm not the only one with the data issues at work either, and the other Sprint customers have also contacted Sprint. Each time they say "Nothing's wrong, but we'll have a technician in the area investigate." and never provide a ticket number so you can follow up ("Oh we wont have that right away...").

What's really irksome is that my phone shows I'm connected to 3g, but I can't do anything.

I also emailed Sprint earlier this week asking where my "confirmed" service credit was, and still have not gotten a reply.

I've already "Jumped ship" to T-Mo and am just waiting on my new phone from them at this point before I can port and pay my ETF.

I'm glad some of you have service, and some even seem to have good service, but in the past year alone Sprint has all but died in this area, and yet I'm the one that's going to have to pay.
    pmjj likes this.
    07-13-2012 02:23 AM
    I am upgrading to the Galaxy S3... but not the Sprint one. I'm moving to Verizon. I know that Sprint has unlimited data, but unless you're near a 4G tower (and I am not) there's no possible way to take advantage of it. Because their 3G network is so slow that there's no way you could possibly use that much data. The 3G data network is worse than T-Mobile's, which is an incredible feat, one that I could never of imagined happening when I originally moved to Sprint from TMo.

Sprint's voice is a close second to Verizon's, I give them that. But their data service is the worst, and I can no longer use it for work. I kind of hate that I'm forking over more money to Verizon for less value, but for my purposes, I have to bite the bullet and pay that premium for reliability, coverage, and speed.

It's funny because I never thought I'd ever be on Verizon. That I'd never be one of those people being fleeced by their plans and subject to their ridiculous limitations. But Sprint's data network has simply become too dire to continue with.
    pmjj likes this.
    07-13-2012 01:50 PM
    I am upgrading to the Galaxy S3... but not the Sprint one. I'm moving to Verizon. I know that Sprint has unlimited data, but unless you're near a 4G tower (and I am not) there's no possible way to take advantage of it. Because their 3G network is so slow that there's no way you could possibly use that much data. The 3G data network is worse than T-Mobile's, which is an incredible feat, one that I could never of imagined happening when I originally moved to Sprint from TMo.

Sprint's voice is a close second to Verizon's, I give them that. But their data service is the worst, and I can no longer use it for work. I kind of hate that I'm forking over more money to Verizon for less value, but for my purposes, I have to bite the bullet and pay that premium for reliability, coverage, and speed.

It's funny because I never thought I'd ever be on Verizon. That I'd never be one of those people being fleeced by their plans and subject to their ridiculous limitations. But Sprint's data network has simply become too dire to continue with.
    I get what you're saying.

I recently got the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint which is an LTE device and with LTE not being available yet, I'm stuck on 3G. I never knew it was a problem since i was using an E4GT on 4G the whole time. I still don't wanna leave Sprint though.
    07-13-2012 02:41 PM
    The OP of this thread, started this thread just yesterday ...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...r-no-more.html

I guess my point in adding this is, things can and often do get better when they seem their worst, and it shows that Sprint does care and are trying to make things right. I'm optimistic personally, but I also have the luxury of living in a really good Sprint 3G area, even though we don't have WiMax (except in small isolated, unofficial and unsupported pockets). Then again, this optimism is a mixed blessing for me because I know the day Sprint's data network catches up to the competition is the day they join their friends and eliminate unlimited data.
    07-13-2012 03:12 PM
    I was in contract with sprint and left, was sick of paying 80 a month for the unreliable data, I used more data than talk. Moved to boost knowing it was sprints network but it was easier paying less for these speeds. Well as of late I keep dropping 3g and going to 1x. On 3g today I got 48kbs down, yes 48. I'm looking at straight talk on att since its true 3g speeds for less than I'm paying now.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 03:13 PM
    I recently got the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint which is an LTE device and with LTE not being available yet, I'm stuck on 3G. I never knew it was a problem since i was using an E4GT on 4G the whole time. I still don't wanna leave Sprint though.
    I forgot to mention that the other reason I'm leaving Sprint is that I want the S3, but the Sprint SG3 is a 4G phone without a network*. My 3G speeds at work are in the double digits, and I'm talking about kbps. So 4G Wimax is the only way I can get online. Which is why I can't get the Sprint Galaxy S3.

*unless you're in parts of Wichita Kansas.
    07-13-2012 03:18 PM
    We apologize for any inconvenience you have
    experienced with service. I have reviewed your account and found no
    record of contact with you on June 29 however there is a record that you
    chatted with an agent on 07/02/2012 and stated you knew other Sprint
    customers who were experiencing the same problems within this location.
    There are no open tickets regarding a 3G data outage in the area you have indicated. If you are still having trouble please contact us by phone at 888-876-8381
    and follow the prompts to reach Tech Support as this is the group that would be able to dispatch a Technician if needed for a network issue.
    We apologize again for the inconvenience however are unable to offer an adjustment. We value your business
    The letter I received (minus some location information and general form letter filler). What's funny is I have 4 or 5 chat transcripts, and yet they can only "find" the one contact, and conveniently it's not the one where the agent offered a service credit.
    07-13-2012 03:20 PM
    The OP of this thread, started this thread just yesterday ...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...r-no-more.html

I guess my point in adding this is, things can and often do get better when they seem their worst, and it shows that Sprint does care and are trying to make things right. I'm optimistic personally, but I also have the luxury of living in a really good Sprint 3G area, even though we don't have WiMax (except in small isolated, unofficial and unsupported pockets). Then again, this optimism is a mixed blessing for me because I know the day Sprint's data network catches up to the competition is the day they join their friends and eliminate unlimited data.
    I'm happy to see things worked out for him in the end.
    07-13-2012 05:20 PM
    I'd hate to do this... Again... But I have to.

2 weeks ago I was seeing horrid speeds (only lasted a week or so)

on 3g

on 4g (peaked at 8.9, then dropped to 5 for some reason)

Just tested and screenshot. On my couch in my house. Turned 4g on after testing 3g, turned as androSS on at same time.

Now, IN dc, I get some dead spots... But that's a different story.

07-13-2012 08:55 PM
    I can't decide which is the worse nightmare:

1) I just did a 3G Speedtest at work, and the numbers were 240 down, 320 up, and 512ms ping. Holy mackerel, over a half second ping? MONSTROUS! And I was standing outside, not in the deep recesses of some basement. My 4G was 8mb down 1.5mb up. So you can see how moving to the GS3 now would be extremely painful.

2) I swear, Verizon does everything they can to make their customers unhappy. Seriously, they have some pathological need to go out of their way to push all of their users to the brink of leaving. Tried to get the GS3 on a corporate account, but was told that "hot phones" require upfront purchase on credit card. WTF is that? I don't even understand what that means. I had already purchased a mifi device that was billed to the account, but I guess the mifi isn't "hot" enough. I'm sure that's just a small taste of the corporate abuse I would have to endure to move to Verizon. Here's another one -- they restructured their data plans to essentially charge you more money for less bandwidth. But that's not good enough - they don't merely want you to pay for any data use -- they want you to pay for data you're not using. To accomplish this, the Verizon GS3 (and this is exclusive to them) will pop up a message box that "wifi is available" if you're near a remembered wifi hotspot and open an app. This is to badger you into getting off of their network, even though you paid through the nose for that privilege. They also have a taskbar notification just to hammer home how much they hate you. You can only turn it off the pop up with a side-loaded app that's no longer carried by GP. The notification can only be turned off with root. And I won't even get into the tortuous, 7 day marathon of back and forth with customer support simply to activate a single iPhone 4S. They wouldn't tell me about the next hoop I had to jump through until I had finished jumping through the previous one.

In the end, I have decided that Sprint 4G LTE will come, but Verizon customer "service" will only get worse. So I'm going to stick with my GS2 for now and patiently wait for LTE. Because I have absolutely no patience for Verizon.
    07-18-2012 12:54 PM
    Take a look at the thread, I think it maybe time for a Change.org protest against Sprint. I don't want any money from Sprint but I feel that many of us that are having horrendous data speeds and connection should have the option of leaving Sprint without being held to the contract. Our data is absolutely unacceptable at this point.

Sprint Community: Iphone now on the slowest network. post your zip if you have slow data coverage
    08-04-2012 03:44 PM
    I had to get wifi at home to be able to do anything. 33823
    08-04-2012 03:45 PM
    I GET .68 MBPS UPLOAD SPEED AND .15 DOWNLOAD ABOUT 516 PING ... SO WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF MY IMPRESSIVE SPEEDS , AND YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD GOOD SPEEDS,OH YEAH THIS IS 3G SPEEDS IN OXNARD CALIFORNIA

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    08-05-2012 11:29 PM

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    08-06-2012 09:50 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD