07-21-2013 07:57 PM
75 123
tools
    I do not use my data at all. Its too slow. I don't even try anymore really. Just use wifi everywhere I go around Sacramento.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-06-2012 10:11 AM
    I found this thread when Googling sprint "class action". Good to see at least I'm not the only one having this problem.

In my case, my data connectivity is spotty at home and pretty much non-existent at work. I live in a large, established, heavily populated city and Sprint has been here since at least 1998 that I know of, possibly earlier. I live within eyesight of a major heavily traveled US highway and I work downtown on a campus of government offices. At work, I am 6 feet from a window with a view of the sky. There is no excuse for the fact that I cannot use data from my desk at work.

Sprint's response is that they're very sorry but it's due to their current work to improve their whole antenna system. It's supposed to be so great when it's done, but right now they know they have bad service because they have to take down antennas to upgrade them which means all that antenna's traffic has to be routed to another one which isn't equipped for such a heavy load so yeah, there are connectivity issues.

I'll say... like NO connectivity. I've started keeping screenshots of all the times when I haven't been able to go online or use an app that requires an internet connection. I can't post a SpeedTest.net result, though, because SpeedTest is on the internet and I can't get online. I do have a screenshot of that much - "SPEEDTEST.NET - Network communication issues. - Try again."

So, let me get this straight: Sprint KNOWS their data service is significantly sub-standard but continues billing for full service because they claim it will get better at some unspecified point in the future. Isn't that actionable somehow?

The best they offered me was a $25 reduction on each of my next four months' bills. They can keep their $100 -- give me the service I'm already contractually indentured to pay for! Is that so unreasonable?
    Carrill likes this.
    08-16-2012 06:10 PM
    That brings up questions.... What city?

If it is because they are upgrading, let it be. Yes, the traffic us tired to another tower which is then overloaded. I experienced this for a short time recently, but I had 4g connectivity so out didn't kill me.

3g post network vision stays ~2mbps for me.

Sprint is not contractually obligated to provide service everywhere.

And as I'll say again, as a realist, you'll never get anywhere with a lawsuit..

My fiancee however received a letter recently informing her sprint will not be able to cover her because (basically) she's called in too much to complain.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-2012 06:57 PM
    Hello, tirith...

Without giving too much away (be gentle, I just joined this forum today), I live in a capital city east of the Mississippi.

If this had just been for a month or two, I could swallow it more easily but it's now been a year with no relief in sight, while I continue to pay full price for the unlimited data they aren't even close to delivering.

When I've called, I've gotten everything from the reason I typed in the post above to, "Well, you're not that far from an antenna either place - you should be fine." Should being the operative word.

As a matter of fact, the phone I bought last July -- a Photon, as a matter of fact (saw your tag line) -- was selected because I wanted/needed a workhorse phone and was assured this one could handle the data usage I expected and more. For me, up till last year, about 80% of my phone use is data, 10% SMS, and the rest voice. So having ponied up big bucks for the phone which hadn't been out long, only to be stopped dead in my tracks, is chafing me raw.

I like the phone a lot but I'm sure not getting my money's worth out of it, thanks to Sprint. They'd be happy to know (or more likely don't give a damn) that I don't have the resources to pull a class action together, but if someone else did, I'd definitely be interested.

Who did your fiancee end up switching to? Is she happy with them?
    08-16-2012 08:49 PM
    She's with sprint still, but now under my account. We merged accounts the day before they were going to boot her.

we both live on the east coast, my speeds are much better than hers... Because I'm in baltimore and shes stuck in the middle of brunswick ga and jacksonville fl....

But she still gets 1-1.5 mbps...

Btw, there is a way you can use att or tmo with a photon...

08-16-2012 09:11 PM
    After reporting Sprint to the BBB for no longer having service at my house, the offered me 3 months at half off or letting out of my contract. After shopping around for 2 unlocked GSM phones, I decided to stay with Sprint. I did not want to fork out the money for two phones at once. I told them that I decided to stay, due to they were updating the towers in my area. Day later car in battery runs dead(my fault) as I am calling road side assistance, I keep dropping calls due to barely having a signal. Is it too late for a do over? Because now I just went from being frustrated to being pissed.
    08-16-2012 09:41 PM
    After reporting Sprint to the BBB for no longer having service at my house, the offered me 3 months at half off or letting out of my contract. After shopping around for 2 unlocked GSM phones, I decided to stay with Sprint. I did not want to fork out the money for two phones at once. I told them that I decided to stay, due to they were updating the towers in my area. Day later car in battery runs dead(my fault) as I am calling road side assistance, I keep dropping calls due to barely having a signal. Is it too late for a do over? Because now I just went from being frustrated to being pissed.
    Unfortunately, sounds like you're stuck... But you could try calling sprint and seeing if they'll still let you out

08-17-2012 09:49 AM
    I might just see If I can still leave and let the girlfriend stay. From hear on out, it's just unlocked GSM Nexus phones directly from Google and prepaid for me.
    08-17-2012 10:21 AM
    I spent a little time in the early '90s at FLETC in Brunswick -- unless things have changed significantly, I can well imagine her coverage is iffy. That's a long time ago, though. Maybe things have improved for her.
    08-17-2012 02:06 PM
    When I'm down with her, I get no issues. Camden county gets decent coverage.

I'm only up here for work :/

btw, every federal installation I've ever been at has had spotty service, being in a job that has a few contracts with the government, and a prior service navy sonar tech, I'm going to say it's been quite a few...

And don't mean to make anyone feel bad or old, but early 90's she was quite young... (as was I...)

I've had every service of the big 4 minus at&t... And sprint just works for me. I can run down I-95 from here to her and lose service ONE time... In BFE NC. Which isn't surprising because I can't even roam there... and my prl apparently allows me to roam off verizon.

08-17-2012 02:34 PM
    Honestly, even though Sprint's advertised speeds seems unrealistic, it's true. A lot of factors play into your crappy 3G speeds? Post your signal strength in decibels. That is the only true way to find out the distance between you and the tower. When I'm home and sitting directly in front of my Airvana, my I have only one bar of service even though the decibel level , and tone when dialing *99 proves that I am connected to the Airvava. Also, the building that you're in might just be making your signal crappy. A Sprint tower is directly up my street, but I had no service. That's why I got the Airvana. Trees and other enviromental objects also tend to kill reception. Sprint tower upgrades slow it down as you and everyone else in your area are forced to use another tower. That sometimes slow data speeds A LOT especially people tethering. Don't blame Sprint, you could've done better research about your area. Also, everyone has fourteen days when going into a contract to decide whether to keep it or return it. My 3G speeds, and 4G WiMax speeds are fantastic. If 3G is so much of a problem, leave Sprint. Leave unlimited data. Sprint is offering the best plans at the moment, but to the dismay of 3G speeds.
    tirith and msndrstood like this.
    08-17-2012 04:22 PM
    Just spoke with SPRINT ustomer service. They LIE. Period. STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT. Unlimited data? Good luck with that. They claim that because you are able to use your data plan SOME of the time, you have been getting unlimited data. This is bull. I HAVE to use wifi BECAUSE Sprint's data SUCKS so horribly in Chicago. Here is the TRUTH: Sprint decided to downgrade their service BOTH 3G and 4G in the Chicago market in order to GUT their towers, upgrade for future 4GLTE service - IN THE MEANTIME NOT TELLING SPRINT CUSTOMERS and CHARGING THEM FOR FULL 3G AND 4G SERVICE. They are offering $25 credit for 4 months. This is a pittance for an entire year of paying for something I DID NOT GET. Accept no less than a full year credit. Class action lawsuit?? You BET your ***. Sprint.
    Carrill likes this.
    09-11-2012 12:15 PM
    Keep calling them and demand to speak with a lawyer in their customer retention department. I found this forum the same way you did in a search under 'class action sprint'. They know EXACTLY what they are doing and you are correct, they continue billing for full service claiming it will get better at some point - meanwhile funding their improvements from the sweat of our brows. If you were to get 20% power from your electric company5% of the time to power your home, could you make toast? Sure, but you'd have to wait an eternity! Imagine if your electric company were charging you for full service each month when they have not offered it. Exactly. No different with SPRINT.
    09-11-2012 11:10 PM
    UPDATE: Sprint still sucks in CHICAGO, but I complained enough and the gave me a $250 credit and then let me out of my contract. I am now with VERIZON. So far so good. 4G lte speeds are amazing!!!!!
    Kizzmocat and kchannel9 like this.
    10-09-2012 04:29 PM
    Please let us know about the wording of your complaint so that many of us may do the same!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    10-09-2012 05:02 PM
    if sprint would heavily invest I mean almost bankrupt invest in tower space yea they would be a really good contender but sprint althoe mostly national is very small in coverage their a budget cooperation what you pay for is what you get I feel your pain at&t isn't much better in places no one wants to spend the money to keep it strong msimgals it simply cost too much as they gotta rent space on the tower and that equipment cost some serious money like try 50 k or more per reciever

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
    10-09-2012 05:26 PM
    The supreme court felt that wireless carriers should not be bothered by class action lawsuits. So good luck suing them on your own. The short version of the contract is : You pay they try. if you don't pay you get no phone, if they don't try you get no phone and still have to pay your bill. If you don't like it after 15 days pay for 2 years or pay 300$ to walk away and go pick another carrier, or dropper as the case may be.
    03-22-2013 10:38 PM
    Is the Galaxy SII capable of using the new LTE 4G network? That is the only 4G I will ever get in Northern .Alabama, I'm sure. If we ever even get that.
    The S2 can not get LTE. The chip is not built into it.
    03-23-2013 09:23 AM
    The supreme court felt that wireless carriers should not be bothered by class action lawsuits. So good luck suing them on your own. The short version of the contract is : You pay they try. if you don't pay you get no phone, if they don't try you get no phone and still have to pay your bill. If you don't like it after 15 days pay for 2 years or pay 300$ to walk away and go pick another carrier, or dropper as the case may be.
    Thanks for reviving a troll thread. -_-
    ScottMGS likes this.
    03-24-2013 09:52 AM
    I agree that Sprint is slow... I'm over top upset, angry, over the fact that my fourth Samsung Gallaxy s2, cell phone has broken again... Each time, Sprint gives me another sprint cell phone, the same rebuilt model, which breaks again. This cell phone will be my fifth cell phone now to break down. I've heard that Sprint is not selling this model now. While I was standing in line for this past phone, another woman was having the same model replaced, for her third time.
    I just got off the phone with a supervisor at Samsung, and all they can do is to fix this fourth phone of mine, and then send it back to me.
    So, I'm in process of finding a class action law suit against Samsung and against Sprint.
    ~ Carol Sloan
    07-09-2013 11:10 AM
    Oh, gawd! The thread that. Will! Not! Die!
    VDub2174 likes this.
    07-09-2013 11:12 AM
    Wow! Yes, when I was in Chicago a few summers ago, I too had no reception with my cell phone. I am looking for a class action law suit now against Sprint and Samsung. I'm on my 4th Samsung Gallaxy S 2 cell phone and about to be told to get the same model again, being given a rebuilt cell phone. This is over the top ridiculous!
    07-09-2013 11:13 AM
    IANAL but doesn't a class action lawsuit require a whole lot of people with the problem? Other than people on this forum I don't hear anything bad about the Sprint Epic 4G Touch. Both my daughter's and mine work fine.

EDIT: Dang! And here I am keeping it going. Signing off.
    07-09-2013 11:16 AM
    Well i live in md dc va area ..and basicly i came to see it as . the reason they offer unlimted data is being you could hardly use it... my s2 has been great but having the setting menu poping up on its own. battery life well i bought a 4500ma from gorilla gagets .. and watch whats on wifi etc.. if sprint had even half the servuce verizon has chances are their would not be unlimited data... ... . i love my s2 otherwise... not sure if ill do the new jellybean update... being unsure how well it is and if apps installed r lost... .. once sprint can give us at least a constant 3g yet still have unlimited data... they would be the top.
    07-20-2013 04:03 PM
    If you had a phone with lte, you wouldn't be complaining... I'm in the same area and love sprint's service

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-21-2013 07:57 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD