About time for a Class Action on Sprint??

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My 3G speeds have slowed almost to a crawl here in central Florida. Heck, my speeds 3 years ago trumped what I get now.

But for all intents and purposes, sprint is as of now, upgrading to the new network vision. Not sure if that is the problem but I'm willing to bet these speeds will increase once it goes live.

What kind of devices did Sprint have 3-years ago? 3-Years ago was pre-Evo and most of the "modern" smartphones. The Pre and Hero were the two phones around that time, other than Blackberry's, that were being released and changed the way smartphones are used in my opinion. There was a shift from smartphones for business use to smartphones for media use. Not to mention the number of subscribers using a smartphone now than 3-years ago.

I agree that 3G speeds have slowed rather poorly. But for what I get, unlimited data and 4G in my area, I have no complaints. The 3G speeds are still usable despite being slower than a few years back.

People have reported roaming as a way to be released from your current contract with Sprint -- you can't help to roam if Sprint doesn't provide you with service in a particular area...

Edit - I feel bad for the subscribers that are not experiencing decent data speeds. Gator makes a good point that speeds should improve with the roll-out of Vision and hopefully then will data improve for everyone affected by the current issues.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
@ jeff1974w

I hear ya man! Actually, In live in Leesburg but drive a dump truck for a local company and every city you mentioned, I deliver to!

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
What kind of devices did Sprint have 3-years ago? 3-Years ago was pre-Evo and most of the "modern" smartphones. The Pre and Hero were the two phones around that time, other than Blackberry's, that were being released and changed the way smartphones are used in my opinion. There was a shift from smartphones for business use to smartphones for media use. Not to mention the number of subscribers using a smartphone now than 3-years ago.

I agree that 3G speeds have slowed rather poorly. But for what I get, unlimited data and 4G in my area, I have no complaints. The 3G speeds are still usable despite being slower than a few years back.

People have reported roaming as a way to be released from your current contract with Sprint -- you can't help to roam if Sprint doesn't provide you with service in a particular area...

Edit - I feel bad for the subscribers that are not experiencing decent data speeds. Gator makes a good point that speeds should improve with the roll-out of Vision and hopefully then will data improve for everyone affected by the current issues.

I had both the touch pro and touch diamond. Then the pre followed by the evo. Let's not forget though, the evo is almost pushing three and the tp and diamond is pushing four.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't have any complaints about my data speeds.

I do know that a lot of people do have issues with their data speeds and I'm not going to discredit them. Sprint may be slow and I don't think it's entirely their fault. Please hear me out before verbally punching me in the face.

We see a lot of posts on numerous different forums about how slow the network is and how Sprint needs to make their network faster. I have also seen a lot of posts where people are being contacted by Sprint to lessen their data usage since they're using ridiculous amounts of data. When asked how they're using so much data they respond by saying they stream 4 or 5 movies a day, tehter their home computers all day, and even saw quite a people saying they have been tethering their gaming consoles to their phones.

I don't think Sprint is entirely to blame here. We also need to look in the direction of the data hogs out there streaming/tethering all day. I don't think it's fair for them to be doing this. I understand it's unlimited data but that doesn't mean they have the right to stream/tehter all day. It's not their data no matter how they look at it. You are on Sprint's network using their data, end of story.

A class action lawsuit may hurt us as much as it will help us. Sprint can most certainly turn around and say, "OK, we'll make our network faster and to keep it faster we'll be putting a cap on everyone's data usage and introduce tiered data plans." In which case if theydo that, we'll see more complaining on the forums.

I say start with the data hogs. Tell them they need to cut down their data usage and keep it down or they'll be dropped from Sprint.

Thanks for your points there ;)

I use on avg 11+ gb of data a month, no tethering (I'm not even rooted, thanks moto soak test, but I have wifi at home, so whats the point?), but its unlimited. With the speeds we see, how does tethering the video games work? I tried on my xbox once with my optimus long ago and it was unbearable, couldn't even connect to anything...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Is the Galaxy SII capable of using the new LTE 4G network? That is the only 4G I will ever get in Northern .Alabama, I'm sure. If we ever even get that.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is the Galaxy SII capable of using the new LTE 4G network? That is the only 4G I will ever get in Northern .Alabama, I'm sure. If we ever even get that.

No it will not, as it doesn't contain LTE hardware. It actually will no longer be capable of 4G once WiMax is decommissioned, but that's way off in the distant future, and everyone will likely have upgraded their devices by then.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

rico college

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people who get 4G service are in the thread complaining at all at the OP. Be happy and move on, you are just hating.

Wimax was and still is a joke. It was never fully deployed as promised and people have a right to be angry about it. The sub par 3G network is now overloaded.

And the LTE upgrade in California is a complete mess and anyone saying other wise is lying to you.

But back on topic, suing is pointless.

I have learned to just live with the slow speeds and use WiFi mostly.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
4G Wimax was a good endeavor for Sprint. Sprint needed customer base, and the only way to take customer away from AT&T and the iPhone and Verizon's reliable blanket coverage was to advertise the 4G Wimax almost 2 years before reliable LTE was announced. (HSPA+ does not count. Im looking at you T-Mobile).

Obviously, it worked for them especially when they launched it with the original EVO.

4G Wimax would have probably been Sprint's major 4G radio, but sadly Clear never lived up to their potential even after Sprint essentially bought more than 50% of the company. Clear could never get the essential funding to build out its network, and Sprint realized before it became too late. Now sadly, Sprint is now playing catch up.

Read Sprint's Network Vision. It shows very interesting data and some promising results. True 3g speeds can be very disgusting, but there are articles around stating that Sprint just received 2 billion dollars in equipment funding for their Network Vision Build-out.

I plan to stay with Sprint. Unlimited Data is what keeps me with them, and if they ever decide to drop it, I will probably go with Verizon.

jan1502

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe it is time. I too am stuck in a contract even though Sprint cannot provide data services to my Samsung Galaxy 2. I work in the heart of the downrtown area yet have no internet connection and even texts fail. Sprint sent me a booster. The owner of the ISP used at my workplace won't allow it to be hooked up. He stated that what Sprint is doing is stealing his bandwith by having his company provide the services I pay Spring to provide. I'm sending a letter to Sprint and to the FCC but I don/t expect any satisfaction. All I've received from Sprint so far is representatives that seem intent on torturing me by wasting hours and hours on the phone with them. I've been with Sprint all the years I've owned a cell phone but can tell you that customer loyalty to Sprint doesn't mean a thing to Sprint. If a class action is in the works, please count me in. The owner of my ISP would back me up. He's surely not happy with what Sprint is doing. Like me, he believes stealing is wrong!

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
As previously stated, nowhere in the contract does it state that you will get service everywhere. Especially inside buildings...

What do you really expect from them? Illegally build a rf tower inside your building? They did what they could by providing the airave. If you can't use it, sorry...

Not trying to be a d**k, just a realist...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Reactions: thenameisnigel

johnpent

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I hate Sprint speeds now. There years, and they were getting better. Several months ago suddenly 3g and 4g started falling off.

I am sure it is their moving to LTE, as they do not possibly have the ability to ruin three great networks.

But...we ALL knew this when we signed up.

I am going to Verizon as soon as as I can get my wife an iPhone 5... As she hates Sprint. Will get S3, or other lte.

Suing Sprint is just opportunistic people that want checks for $1.37 while making some law firm a couple of million. Not cool.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
When I first joined Sprint 4 or 5 years ago, they had service in my home and at my work, and decent speeds. Now I've been without data for almost a full month now at my place of employment, except for 1 parking spot out of 200 I get weak 4g. No 3g at all, and for about 2 weeks I didn't even have text service.

I was told multiple times I would receive credit on my bill for lack of service. Still isn't there.

I'm not the only one with the data issues at work either, and the other Sprint customers have also contacted Sprint. Each time they say "Nothing's wrong, but we'll have a technician in the area investigate." and never provide a ticket number so you can follow up ("Oh we wont have that right away...").

What's really irksome is that my phone shows I'm connected to 3g, but I can't do anything.

I also emailed Sprint earlier this week asking where my "confirmed" service credit was, and still have not gotten a reply.

I've already "Jumped ship" to T-Mo and am just waiting on my new phone from them at this point before I can port and pay my ETF.

I'm glad some of you have service, and some even seem to have good service, but in the past year alone Sprint has all but died in this area, and yet I'm the one that's going to have to pay.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am upgrading to the Galaxy S3... but not the Sprint one. I'm moving to Verizon. I know that Sprint has unlimited data, but unless you're near a 4G tower (and I am not) there's no possible way to take advantage of it. Because their 3G network is so slow that there's no way you could possibly use that much data. The 3G data network is worse than T-Mobile's, which is an incredible feat, one that I could never of imagined happening when I originally moved to Sprint from TMo.

Sprint's voice is a close second to Verizon's, I give them that. But their data service is the worst, and I can no longer use it for work. I kind of hate that I'm forking over more money to Verizon for less value, but for my purposes, I have to bite the bullet and pay that premium for reliability, coverage, and speed.

It's funny because I never thought I'd ever be on Verizon. That I'd never be one of those people being fleeced by their plans and subject to their ridiculous limitations. But Sprint's data network has simply become too dire to continue with.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I am upgrading to the Galaxy S3... but not the Sprint one. I'm moving to Verizon. I know that Sprint has unlimited data, but unless you're near a 4G tower (and I am not) there's no possible way to take advantage of it. Because their 3G network is so slow that there's no way you could possibly use that much data. The 3G data network is worse than T-Mobile's, which is an incredible feat, one that I could never of imagined happening when I originally moved to Sprint from TMo.

Sprint's voice is a close second to Verizon's, I give them that. But their data service is the worst, and I can no longer use it for work. I kind of hate that I'm forking over more money to Verizon for less value, but for my purposes, I have to bite the bullet and pay that premium for reliability, coverage, and speed.

It's funny because I never thought I'd ever be on Verizon. That I'd never be one of those people being fleeced by their plans and subject to their ridiculous limitations. But Sprint's data network has simply become too dire to continue with.

I get what you're saying.

I recently got the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint which is an LTE device and with LTE not being available yet, I'm stuck on 3G. I never knew it was a problem since i was using an E4GT on 4G the whole time. I still don't wanna leave Sprint though.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The OP of this thread, started this thread just yesterday ...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/189138-sprint-basher-no-more.html

I guess my point in adding this is, things can and often do get better when they seem their worst, and it shows that Sprint does care and are trying to make things right. I'm optimistic personally, but I also have the luxury of living in a really good Sprint 3G area, even though we don't have WiMax (except in small isolated, unofficial and unsupported pockets). Then again, this optimism is a mixed blessing for me because I know the day Sprint's data network catches up to the competition is the day they join their friends and eliminate unlimited data.