Hi battery drain on SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 EPIC 4G TOUCH

bksharp69

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I have never seen this topic mentioned in any forums I've searched and searched but none can be found. I use to have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy 4G and after the gingerbread update it shows up under the sprint zone app under diagnostics, that it has a high battery drain because the 4G is running even though all settings show that the 4G is actually turned off. I got tired of the battery running dead after about 5 hours and upgraded to the new Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G Touch, and wouldn't you know it its doing the same thing I ran the diagnostics and it says hi battery drain due to the 4G running. Even though all 4G settings are are off. If anyone knows of this issue or a way to fix it please let me know. Thank you Bksharp69.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If 4G is turned off in the settings, then it is not being used and not consuming battery. Where is this diagnostics info you're seeing in Sprint Zone? I've never known of Sprint Zone providing device diagnostics. Then again, it's usually at the top of the list of "bloatware" that I uninstall after rooting my Sprint device, so it's safe to say I've barely ever used it.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's how to fix it....

Go into a Sprint store with your phone and a sledgehammer. Place phone and sledgehammer gently on glass counter and complain about horrible batt life. Hopefully, without incident, they will replace it and the new one will work as intended. If not....rinse, lather, and repeat till' one is satisfactory to your liking.

Reactions: chew dz

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Its a side effect of using more than 50% capital letters in your thread title. Just destroys battery life.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If 4G is turned off in the settings, then it is not being used and not consuming battery. Where is this diagnostics info you're seeing in Sprint Zone? I've never known of Sprint Zone providing device diagnostics. Then again, it's usually at the top of the list of "bloatware" that I uninstall after rooting my Sprint device, so it's safe to say I've barely ever used it.

Dial *2. That'll take you to Sprint Zone. Scroll towards bottom you'll see diagnostics.

Clicking Sprint Zone within your apps doesn't show diagnostics. At least on my phone I can't access it that way.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dm3ready

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a combination of a bug in the Sprint app and a misunderstanding of what it is telling you. The bug is that it says 4G is 'on' even when it's 'off'. The red arrow indicator to the right of each item is not an active indicator, but just an icon that says how much power this feature is likely to use based on the setting. So, if 4G is on it says it will have a significant effect on battery ... I don't believe it's actually measuring the real-time drain of 4G on your battery, and I don't think your battery life is being affected by this.

BTW, you can get to this through the Sprint Zone app by selecting "I Need Help" from the first screen.

bksharp69

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Both my Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G and my Sprint Epic 4G Touch does. This is what I what I'm getting. First off open tbe sprint zone app.View attachment 27545 Then go to I need help. View attachment 27545 tap on power configuration under diagnostics, then you will see what the app claims that you're phone consuming in battery usage.View attachment 27547 If you notice what is running and what it claims is actually turned on. Now go to the 4g,View attachment 27548 tap on it and open settings. And you should see this. View attachment 27549 this what I'm talking about, it definitely shows that it is off even though the sprint zone app says it's running. I have taken this issue to Best Buy and to Sprint and talk to several of their customer service techs and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. Sorry for this extremely long rant but I just want to know if anyone has seen or dealt with this problem I know it maybe just a bug in the system, but I do believe it has something to do with battery drain and battery life expectancy. And don't get me wrong I love my Epic 4G Touch, I think a wonderful phone, and has great potential. I just wish samsung, sprint or who ever deals with making our products even better would work out the bugs on our current issues before they come out with a new system update and compiling problem on top of problems. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: FallenAngel015

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Ah battery drain issues with the Epic 4G Touch, I have the same problems and honestly best thing to do is turn off anything your not using, turn off 4G if your using WiFi, turn off GPS and Bluetooth radios and adjust screen timeout and brightness on the phone. One thing you can do is invest in buying an extended life battery which will help big time. You can usually find them on Ebay or Amazon but be careful there are some bad deals out there. I bought an extended life battery that was suppose to have been rated at 3000mah but it only lasted as long as a standard Samsung battery.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I know it maybe just a bug in the system, but I do believe it has something to do with battery drain and battery life expectancy. And don't get me wrong I love my Epic 4G Touch, I think a wonderful phone, and has great potential. I just wish samsung, sprint or who ever deals with making our products even better would work out the bugs on our current issues before they come out with a new system update and compiling problem on top of problems.

I agree it's a bug, but I don't think it's affecting your battery. You say "you will see what the app claims that you're phone consuming in battery usage", but I think this is not showing actual usage; just an indicator of how significant this setting may be to battery life. The Screen indicator is also whacky ... it shows what the slider is set to even if you have 'automatic brightness' checked. You'll notice that the power icon goes up or down based on the setting, but is not showing what power the Screen is actually using.

So, it would be nice if Sprint fixed this. But honestly, as far as bugs go, this is pretty minor. Also few people ever bother with the Sprint bloatware, so it's unlikely to get a lot of complaints or a high priority.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok I got your answer. The truth is it's not a bug but your 4G is not eatting your battery. It's a bad use of the heading diagnostic. I tried it on mine and looked at what they have on there and it's a profile. If you had 4G on it would be a major power drain. If you go to the option below that one for more tools that is where it says some of the items on or off and one option takes you to the Android battery usage tool which is only helpful if you what is eatting the battery isn't rooted in Android system. The default profile for Sprint Zone phones are High battery drain hence it says it in that tool you are clicking on, not that they are eatting away but that they are allowed to. You can change it to low battery consumption and see if that helps you in the long run with your battery problems. I did and if it does anything I'll let you know on my end.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Toren007

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar issue with my Galaxy II. On a normal day working the battery life is great, still at three quarters power by the time I get home. The other day we went out on a boat where signal was sketchy. the battery was drained by 4 in the afternoon. So I started watching, seems that in spots where the phone struggles to get signal, the battery life drops significantly almost half when its comfortable and not jumping around. I dont know if anyone else has seen this or had any issues, but it sure sucks when you expect the phone to have some juice and its completely dead.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar issue with my Galaxy II. On a normal day working the battery life is great, still at three quarters power by the time I get home. The other day we went out on a boat where signal was sketchy. the battery was drained by 4 in the afternoon. So I started watching, seems that in spots where the phone struggles to get signal, the battery life drops significantly almost half when its comfortable and not jumping around. I dont know if anyone else has seen this or had any issues, but it sure sucks when you expect the phone to have some juice and its completely dead.

This is typical. It happens with any phone. The hardest thing on a battery is a phone with no cell signal trying to find one. You could easily be in a bad cell area and get half the battery life you are used to - maybe worse.

tabascoman66

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
This is typical. It happens with any phone. The hardest thing on a battery is a phone with no cell signal trying to find one. You could easily be in a bad cell area and get half the battery life you are used to - maybe worse.

This is true, I work in a office where the signal is low. I MUST keep the phone charged all day.

bkang22

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Did you just get the software update? If yes that is the issue because that is what happended to mine. If you search Sprints forums you'll see a lot of people had this issue with the IC update and we are waiting for fixes.

montecristo1

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Here are some apps to better diagnosed your issues: I used these apps religiously. My battery last longer.

BetterBatteryStats: helps you find the app that is draining your app
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...VuLmJldHRlcmJhdHRlcnlzdGF0cyJd&token=TS8so1u3

CPU sleep: this App will make sure CPU 1/2/3 shuts off while the screen is off, then resumes normal usage when the screen comes back on.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...S5ldWdlbmUzNzMuY3B1LnNsZWVwIl0&token=A86JAdZU.

Lux Auto Brightness: intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...vito.lux&feature=search_result&token=on6Ui2IV

Another alternative:
buy extended battery from ebay for under $10
example: New 3800mah EXTENDED BATTERY For sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch D710 | eBay

I noticed my battery holds a better charge if I charge the extended battery on a wall outlet charger instead of cradle.

Hope this info helps.

Reactions: kshepard5

maverick899

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to android central and I wasn't able to find a way to post a question so I'm posting it here. I bought a Galaxy S2 two days back with stock ICS 4.0.4 in it. The thing noticed that the battery drained in one day usage though i dint use wi-fi, blutooth or any heavy stuff. I installed cpu spy to see whether my phone goes into deep sleep mode or not. I charged the battery to 100%, closed all the apps, put the phone on airplane mode, reset timers on CPU SPY and slept. After 7.3 hours i woke up and saw the cpu spy results and was astonished to see that my phone was in deep sleep for 99% of the time. Is this how usually you check deep sleep through cpu spy or did i do something wrong. because although my phone is going to deep sleep mode properly but still my battery lasts for a day only.

Jeremy Ruzanski

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I too am suspecting the poor antenna... have you looked at your cell signal in correlation to battery drain... poor signal, poor battery life... always had been in my case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan