Strange Issue

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
So recently when I unplug my phone in the morning from charging, the indicator light stays solid red, and the phone shows that it is still connected to USB. If I turn the phone off, it goes to a battery indicator and does a continual loop of flashing that battery graphic until the battery drains all the way down and dies.

When this happens, nothing will allow the phone to power back on unless it is reconnected to a charger or a hard reset is performed. Even pulling the battery out has no effect.

The problem is that even after all of that, the phone goes right back to the indicator light staying lit, and it showing that it is connected to USB.

I read a couple of posts that recommended cleaning the USB port, so I tried that, but it did nothing.

The phone has never been dropped or been wet.

Any ideas?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me like either your charging port failed or you have a bad battery. You may want to try a factory reset first, and if that doesn't resolve the issue you're probably going to need to take it in and have a tech look at it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me like either your charging port failed or you have a bad battery. You may want to try a factory reset first, and if that doesn't resolve the issue you're probably going to need to take it in and have a tech look at it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Charges fine and if I just leave it alone with the notification light lit and it saying it is plugged into the USB, then it works fine, other then those issues.

Took it to a tech, and they advised to send it back to Samsung. That's all fine and dandy, however Samsung told me up to a 4 week turn around!

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Charges fine and if I just leave it alone with the notification light lit and it saying it is plugged into the USB, then it works fine, other then those issues.

Took it to a tech, and they advised to send it back to Samsung. That's all fine and dandy, however Samsung told me up to a 4 week turn around!

Just had the same issue a few weeks ago. Took it to a Sprint tech center and had them look at it. The tech said that the usb port on my ET4G was bad. They just exchanged it for me the next day with a refurbished unit they ordered for me.

I take it you don't have the TEP insurance.

Sent From My Galaxy10.1 Class Starship...

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but I think giving a refurbed unit to replace a new one that was purhased that went bad should be illegal if it's still within the manufacturers warranty.

This is probably the single most thing that irks me about the cell industry. When you buy something new and still under warranty, it should be repaired...and if it can't be repaired...then you should be given a NEW ONE!! In my experience, every refurb I received was in real rough shape and looked like a 10 year old apple product....

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Dissident

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Just had the same issue a few weeks ago. Took it to a Sprint tech center and had them look at it. The tech said that the usb port on my ET4G was bad. They just exchanged it for me the next day with a refurbished unit they ordered for me.

I take it you don't have the TEP insurance.

Sent From My Galaxy10.1 Class Starship...

Yea no insurance. I got a RMA from Samsung, and honestly my Sprint service is horrible here so I plan to switch to Verizon as soon as the SIII is released. SII to Ebay as soon as Samsung send it back!

Thank you for the reply.

mfsanso

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had this same problem. I turned my phone off, pulled the battery, cleaned the USB port with tweezers first and found that I was pulling out tons of pocket fuzz. I then pulled apart a Q-tip (a cotton ball will work too) and wetted it in isopropanol (2-propanol or rubbing alcohol - all the same thing) and cleaned the inside. I was very surprised to see the amount of dirt I was removing. I powered my phone back on and still had the same issue.

Finally, I powered down, pulled the battery, then pried the USB port dock pins away from the back of the phone and toward the front. I booted back up and everything is working like a charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech