I live in Baltimore and I am aware that Sprint is busy upgrading their LTE networks in the area. Is the E4GT capable of utilizing these faster LTE data speeds when they are introduced?

I am somewhat disappointed in the slow 4G speeds I have been experiencing after switching from T-mobile and a Sensation 4G. It seemed like T-mobile's network was much faster. I am just hoping that with Sprint's upgrades my Epic 4G will be able to reap the benefits.
    06-18-2012 10:13 AM
    No, the 4g in the Epic Touch is Wimax, which is not compatible with the new LTE being rolled out...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
    zackmack7 likes this.
    06-18-2012 10:15 AM
    Is the Galaxy S3 a LTE phone?
    06-18-2012 10:38 AM
    Is the Galaxy S3 a LTE phone?
    Yes, but you won't be able to use LTE until it's is rolled out in your area. For Sprint anyways, which I assume is your carrier.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    06-18-2012 10:42 AM
    Yep I am on Sprint. So is Wi-Max about to be a thing of the past in the next few years?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    06-19-2012 07:00 AM
    Yep I am on Sprint. So is Wi-Max about to be a thing of the past in the next few years?

From my understanding, Sprint will be using LTE devices instead of WiMax from here on out.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    06-19-2012 08:52 AM
    Yeah WiMax will be decommissioned at some point. Probably 3 or 4 years out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    zackmack7 likes this.
    06-19-2012 10:26 AM

My understanding is that Sprint has stopped expanding WiMax and is working only on building LTE, which should start rolling out in a few cities soon. But they intend to keep the existing WiMax online for quite a while (at least a couple of years I think ... I saw through 2015 in one article). I believe new phones will only be LTE ... but right now, a Sprint LTE phone has no 4G service anywhere.

So if you have a WiMax phone and WiMax service where you live, you should be good for a few years with that. Whether you'll want to upgrade to an LTE phone probably depends on when the service gets to your neck of the woods.
    zackmack7 likes this.
    06-19-2012 10:29 AM
    Cool, thanks for the information everyone.

07-02-2012 05:29 PM
    I'm in the same boat as zackmack. I just got my upgrade from sprint. I was stuck between the evo lte s3 and the s2. After a lot of reviews and comparisons I went with the s2 epic touch, Mostly because I got it for only a penny. Then come to find out that sprint is no longer gonna run 4g ( wiimax ) but lte. So my question is should I return the s2 for the s3 or evo lte. Cause as of right now I still only have 3g and they say by the end of the year but more then likely next spring summer
    08-01-2012 12:49 AM
    Lte is supposed to be everywhere there is 3g by the end of 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-01-2012 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD