Is the Epic 4G Touch LTE ready?

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I live in Baltimore and I am aware that Sprint is busy upgrading their LTE networks in the area. Is the E4GT capable of utilizing these faster LTE data speeds when they are introduced?

I am somewhat disappointed in the slow 4G speeds I have been experiencing after switching from T-mobile and a Sensation 4G. It seemed like T-mobile's network was much faster. I am just hoping that with Sprint's upgrades my Epic 4G will be able to reap the benefits.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
No, the 4g in the Epic Touch is Wimax, which is not compatible with the new LTE being rolled out...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: zackmack7

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep I am on Sprint. So is Wi-Max about to be a thing of the past in the next few years?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yep I am on Sprint. So is Wi-Max about to be a thing of the past in the next few years?

From my understanding, Sprint will be using LTE devices instead of WiMax from here on out.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

My understanding is that Sprint has stopped expanding WiMax and is working only on building LTE, which should start rolling out in a few cities soon. But they intend to keep the existing WiMax online for quite a while (at least a couple of years I think ... I saw through 2015 in one article). I believe new phones will only be LTE ... but right now, a Sprint LTE phone has no 4G service anywhere.

So if you have a WiMax phone and WiMax service where you live, you should be good for a few years with that. Whether you'll want to upgrade to an LTE phone probably depends on when the service gets to your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Reactions: zackmack7

JetsFan12345

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as zackmack. I just got my upgrade from sprint. I was stuck between the evo lte s3 and the s2. After a lot of reviews and comparisons I went with the s2 epic touch, Mostly because I got it for only a penny. Then come to find out that sprint is no longer gonna run 4g ( wiimax ) but lte. So my question is should I return the s2 for the s3 or evo lte. Cause as of right now I still only have 3g and they say by the end of the year but more then likely next spring summer

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Lte is supposed to be everywhere there is 3g by the end of 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21