My Dad got the new Evo, and although he doesn't have Wimax or lte here in Salt Lake City, he can have simultaneous voice and data on 3G, from what I read it places the call on 1xRTT and keeps the EvdoA for data. which makes me a little jealous. I've heard about some previous Sprint phones that were supposed to support voice and data on their CDMA network, I think the Pre and Touch Pro 2 were some that were supposed to support it. Does anyone know if the Epic 4G Touch supports this feature with just needs a firmware update to enable it, and if Sprint had said anything about it?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    06-18-2012 11:37 AM
    They crippled it...cant even get picture mail while you are on a call without 4G or WIFI. I would assume they could allow it with a firmware "update".. Like if you try to access Gallery during media scan, it wont let you but if you use a 3rd party picture viewer, you can see the pics during media scan. You can take pics while on the phone with 3rd party apps but not with the stock camera
    06-18-2012 01:33 PM
    Sprint 3g doesn't support simultaneous voice and data and never has - doesn't matter which phone you have. Are you sure he wasn't connected to wifi?

With wimax or lte you can do both - voice goes over cdma radio and the data goes over wimax/lte radio.
    06-18-2012 09:56 PM
    The Pre could do it
    06-18-2012 11:38 PM
    The Pre could do it
    No it couldn't. (I owned a Pre) No phone can, again it's a limitation of EVDO rev a.
    06-19-2012 10:25 AM
    No it couldn't. (I owned a Pre) No phone can, again it's a limitation of EVDO rev a.
    :thumbup:

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
    06-19-2012 10:58 AM
    Again I find people that don't know what they're even talking about and yet they post worthless comments. The EVO lte is capable of using 3g data and voice at the sane time and it has been stated in another thread as well. If that isn't enough then YouTube it and you'll see multipule videos.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Zookeeper63 likes this.
    06-19-2012 11:00 AM
    Hmm, apparently I stand corrected. Looks like the Evo LTE supports SVDO which I believe is a different CDMA chipset than virtually every other CDMA phone in existence. So the EVDO spec doesn't allow for simultaneous use of the 1x and the EVDO radios, but SVDO does.

What's really interesting about this is why Sprint even bothered. Did the technology become cheap enough that they figured why not? Otherwise this is something that should have happened years ago. Oh well, learn something new every day.
    06-19-2012 12:34 PM
    anyone else reading this thread able to shed light on if the e4gt is CAPABLE of simultaneous voice & data on 3g? Or if Sprint will open this feature on other phones?

Sent from my SPH-D710
    07-09-2012 09:47 PM
    The s3 does as well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    07-10-2012 08:58 AM
    I have the Sprint Galaxy S3 and it definitely supports simultaneous voice and data without LTE. When I am on a call, the 3G icon stays at the top, and I can surf just like normal. No slow-down at all. (It's already slower than a 56k modem though, haha)

I just noticed this about an hour ago while I was tethering and I just so happened to receive some email while on the call... I was shocked. This is likely due to Sprint rolling out the "HD Voice" system, which actually places the calls over 3G, and not really simultaneous 1X and 3G usage. That's my guess. More of a SIP connection than anything else.
    07-13-2012 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD