GPS not locking until reboot

Irishgator

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I seem to keep running into the issue that my GPS stops locking until I reboot my phone. Anyone having this issue? Any solutions?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue with both of my GSII's :(

GPS Status app made life easier since it has the ability to 'cold start' the gps chip for me w/out rebooting the phone.

There is clearly an issue with this phones GPS as sprint is clueless on it.

coachdvc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I seem to keep running into the issue that my GPS stops locking until I reboot my phone. Anyone having this issue? Any solutions?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
One of the work arounds is to use the "GPS Status" app. You open that up, and it locks on to the GPS signal quickly. Then you can back out and by then the Navigation or Maps app has usually locked on to the GPS signal.

I can't take any credit for this. It was in another thread a while ago.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My GPS locks without issue on my device. Ive heard some peeps having issues but not me personally. I use maps almost weekly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There have been a ton of post on this forum about this. GPS Test does not work usually when this happens. I have had 3 different E4G and they all had the same issue. It is software, not hardware.

Sometimes there will be 10-12 satellites in view and it will not lock!

I am hoping the ICS fixes it, but who knows when that will come.

I also don't get texts sometimes until after a reboot.

Again, this is on 3 of these phones, so it cannot be a defect in the hardware.

It may be that some people never experience it due to the way they use their phone.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth... my wife has the S II Epic 4G Touch. I have an HTC EVO 3D. To make a fair comparison, I restarted both phones, then at the same time I opened GPS Status. This test was done indoors, so it's a relatively difficult test. The time to lock was virtually the same for the 2 phones. The Samsung showed a larger uncertainty, but the reported position was actually closer to my actual location than the HTC. Both phones did very well and overall I'd say the contest was a draw.

Of course that's just one test but in general I've found the GPS on both phones to work pretty well.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
How can it not be a hardware issue? I have had 3 different e4gts do the same thing. Maybe the GPS chip they used just isn't any good. I use my GPS on a DAILY basis, it works sometimes perfectly, a lot of the time it doesn't. the more you use it, the more apparent it becomes.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
How can it not be a hardware issue? I have had 3 different e4gts do the same thing. Maybe the GPS chip they used just isn't any good. I use my GPS on a DAILY basis, it works sometimes perfectly, a lot of the time it doesn't. the more you use it, the more apparent it becomes.

Its not a hardware issue. Its software. Few lines of code added to gps.conf file and bam. You got faster locks. Ill put together a flashable zip to fix this issue and put it to bed.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Its not a hardware issue. Its software. Few lines of code added to gps.conf file and bam. You got faster locks. Ill put together a flashable zip to fix this issue and put it to bed.
YES IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!

I took my phone into a corporate Sprint store that also was a repair center to check out why the hell my GPS would never lock. They said the issue is with the design of the phone..if you notice the 'hump' at the bottom of the S2; that hump is the GPS antenna/radio. If you also notice that on the hump is a the speaker grill port that is exposed to the elements (this is the design flaw).

Moisture, dust, etc. can enter through that speaker grill that is located right on the hump..thus entering into the GPS radio and screwing it up...hence why it takes forever to lock for some owners. Of course not every user has the same issue; as some users haven't had the same amount of moisture, dust, residue, etc. enter into the speaker grill opening.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
YES IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!

I took my phone into a corporate Sprint store that also was a repair center to check out why the hell my GPS would never lock. They said the issue is with the design of the phone..if you notice the 'hump' at the bottom of the S2; that hump is the GPS antenna/radio. If you also notice that on the hump is a the speaker grill port that is exposed to the elements (this is the design flaw).

Moisture, dust, etc. can enter through that speaker grill that is located right on the hump..thus entering into the GPS radio and screwing it up...hence why it takes forever to lock for some owners. Of course not every user has the same issue; as some users haven't had the same amount of moisture, dust, residue, etc. enter into the speaker grill opening.

Ok so if its a "hardware issue" (which isnt true) then why does a modified gps.conf fix this issue? The htc one series has a gps issue as well. A modified conf fixed the issue as well.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok so if its a "hardware issue" (which isnt true) then why does a modified gps.conf fix this issue? The htc one series has a gps issue as well. A modified conf fixed the issue as well.
Mr. Bruce Wayne...for some units of the E4GT with the GPS locking issues; sure it might be software-related...however there is a very real hardware/design issue that lends its hand to the problem.

I wish the GPS locking issue didn't plague this phone; otherwise it's an awesome device.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
darkknight2, So you can fix this issue, but sprint or Samsung can not? And you never answered my question.... How often do you use your GPS? And do you use it in different areas several times a day? I am just curious why I have not received some kind of fix update from sprint? I do not root so I can not"fix"this problem like you can.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
darkknight2, So you can fix this issue, but sprint or Samsung can not? And you never answered my question.... How often do you use your GPS? And do you use it in different areas several times a day? I am just curious why I have not received some kind of fix update from sprint? I do not root so I can not"fix"this problem like you can.

Ok so if you dont root then you cant fix the issue. Did you not read my thread on why this issue is present? Its not something samsung and sprint can or will fix. Legally they cant fix the issue due to sony ericsson owning the rights to the satelites that my fix uses. Read my thread to understand in more detail how my fix works :)

Sent From A Rotary Phone

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok.... You still haven't said how often you use your maps or if you use it in different areas. the more you use it in more areas the more obvious this problem is.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok.... You still haven't said how often you use your maps or if you use it in different areas. the more you use it in more areas the more obvious this problem is.

Well Im a delivery driver. I use my navigation almost 10+++ times daily depending on my delivery route.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I ama truck driver and use my GPS in different locations every day. I do not root, I guess I am missing out...... I am sure yourGPS works perfect for you. Good job...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci