Finally upgraded, love the E4GT

coop616

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I had a curve 8530 for over 2 years and finally (after sprint put phone on sale for $99) got the Epic4GTouch.

I'm on SERO, so all the debate about sprint's signal and switching to Verizon (yuck) is mute.

i'm trying to play with the GPS to see if it's a "hit or miss" problem or what. would love to hear if its true that ICS fixes the problem as i have read that on here somewhere. granted it's not the "official" release, but with GPS fixed, this phone is hands down, the sweetest out there.

Took me about 2 days to get over my love for the blackberry. getting better with the swype keyboard.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I also came to the e4gt from that same BB. I love this phone, it is amazing, however I have continuously had GPS problems and little glitches here and there. If the GPS worked better I would love this phone with all of my being. I have switched out my handset twice. The GPS just gives me problems on a daily basis. this is a sweet device after all that has been said, enjoy

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Spent two years on a BB Curve. It seems like many things regarding this phone are hit or miss. I don't use Gps nearly as often as I do Google maps but I've never had any issues with it at all. I wonder if location might have some effect on it. I'm in Colorado.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

coop616

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I should start a new thread on this point, but i'll start here:

When people comment about bad GPS on this phone, are they referring to "telenav" or don't guess "google maps"?

I've played with Telenav, watching where on the road i am and how accurate it is on the phone.

I have NOT activated the BETA google nav application. Wonder if it has a glitch that infects the phone once activated.

as for missing my blackberry, i found an APP called ZEDGE for free wallpapers, ringtones and notifications and now i have my Email tone back and my text message notification tone back.

next step, assign different ringtones for each of my main contacts. I like tones that you can "hear" if there's some noise levels to overcome.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
People referring to poor GPS mean the time it takes to lock a signal, regardless of the app being used. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, minutes and others its instant.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I only use google maps, it just doesn't always show my little blue dot where it should. So its not a problem if I know where I am, because I can bring up google maps and see the destination. Lately I have been having this glitch were it doesn't show all the streets on the map or it shows a blank spot where I am looking which really pisses me off.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I only use google maps, it just doesn't always show my little blue dot where it should. So its not a problem if I know where I am, because I can bring up google maps and see the destination. Lately I have been having this glitch were it doesn't show all the streets on the map or it shows a blank spot where I am looking which really pisses me off.

Check your settings. The blue "dot" not showing up exactly where you are or near it means that GPS may not be in use. Instead, it may be using the network location which is not as precise. The lack of street names and blank spots on the map may also indicate no data at that particular time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol