(Poll) Whos buying the Nexus 7???

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. The hardware is incredible. The price is ridiculously good. My "holdup" at this point is the size. I have a first gen iPad I bought after the second gen came out (64GB and 3G). Its pretty awful from a performance standpoint but I did use it quite a bit recently on vacation. I like the 10" screen size. My wife's parents have the Kindle Fire and I felt like 7" was really useful, but didn't seem to give me everything I wanted. This past weekend I was using my dad's Iconia A200 ($200 refurbed on woot), and really liked the experience. A little bulky, but the screen size (and more importantly aspect ratio) really seemed to be perfect for the tablet experience. I'd like to see a Nexus 10 at some point before I plunk down some dough on a tablet.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn. The hardware is incredible. The price is ridiculously good. My "holdup" at this point is the size. I have a first gen iPad I bought after the second gen came out (64GB and 3G). Its pretty awful from a performance standpoint but I did use it quite a bit recently on vacation. I like the 10" screen size. My wife's parents have the Kindle Fire and I felt like 7" was really useful, but didn't seem to give me everything I wanted. This past weekend I was using my dad's Iconia A200 ($200 refurbed on woot), and really liked the experience. A little bulky, but the screen size (and more importantly aspect ratio) really seemed to be perfect for the tablet experience. I'd like to see a Nexus 10 at some point before I plunk down some dough on a tablet.

7 inches is a good size. At least thats what she said :beer::D:beer:

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Reactions: Downtown Taco

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll second the hope for an SD card slot as well. I think one of the few things I like about my iPad is the 64GB capacity. I constantly throw movies and such on there (along with a ton of music and games) for traveling.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered one... now just waiting.

Also for what it's worth I have owned a 10.1" tablet with an SD card slot and a full size USB port and I currently have a Galaxy Tab 8.9" which has neither. For everyone screaming for a SD card slot or a bigger tablet in my experience neither has really been necessary. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a SD card slot but that should not by any means be a deal breaker. And after using larger tablets for a while I have been considering picking up a smaller tablet anyway, something a little more discrete and portable so the 7" screen size is going to be perfect. But that's just my 2? YMMV.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I am at a MAYBE as well. I'm waiting to see what other information will be divulged about the MS Surface. That tablet looks downright sexy and I love the W8 interface. Pending on price and overall functionality, I could go for a Nexus 7, Fire 2, or MS Surface. :)

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From what I have heard the MS Surface is going to be in the $700+ neighborhood when it is released. However it is definitely in a whole seperate league of tablet. It is something that is way more capable than an average Android tablet and closer to being a rival for an Ultrabook Laptop.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
From what I have heard the MS Surface is going to be in the $700+ neighborhood when it is released. However it is definitely in a whole seperate league of tablet. It is something that is way more capable than an average Android tablet and closer to being a rival for an Ultrabook Laptop.

Yikes! Not sure if I want to throw that kind of money around on something I may use sparingly. Maybe I can swing a student discount or two before I graduate in December. :D

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered one... now just waiting.

Also for what it's worth I have owned a 10.1" tablet with an SD card slot and a full size USB port and I currently have a Galaxy Tab 8.9" which has neither. For everyone screaming for a SD card slot or a bigger tablet in my experience neither has really been necessary. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a SD card slot but that should not by any means be a deal breaker. And after using larger tablets for a while I have been considering picking up a smaller tablet anyway, something a little more discrete and portable so the 7" screen size is going to be perfect. But that's just my 2? YMMV.

Very fair point about the 7" screen. I think it depends on what you use it for. My dad just got a refurbed Iconia 10" since his Nook Color wasn't big enough for work.

Personally from a storage perspective, 16GB doesn't really cut it for me (again my 2c). I've got that in audio, and I'm not really interested in dropping that into the cloud since I don't always have WiFi when I'm using a tablet (flying). Tack in 5-10GB in videos, another 1GB in pictures, and a bunch of apps to keep me entertained :-D and I like having 32 or more.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I can definitely understand what you are saying about wanting more storage for Movies Pictures and Apps but personally for music I just use my phone which does have an SD card. I can't really see a situation where I would want to carry around a tablet (even if it is a relatively small 7" one) just to listen to music when I can just use the phone that I am going to already have with me anyway.

But I am just basing this on my current experence and usage with tablets. Right now on my Galaxy tab I have maybe 2 songs downloaded, I also have a few movies, many thousands of pictures, about a thousand e-books and a bunch of apps. with all that combined I am still using less than a third of the 32GB of storage avaliable. And for movies I usually just load what I might want to watch before I leave and delete them when I am done. Personally I don't see the need to carry a massive movie collection around with me everywhere.

But like I said for me, and based on my previous experence with tablets the Nexus 7 is going to be just about perfect.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 definitely looks great, however I think I'd benefit from a larger screen since I do a lot of work on my laptop during the school year. Prior to the announcement of these newer tablets I was looking into an AsusTransformer Prime since it doubled as a laptop and tablet. Thus why the Surface looks so attractive to me at this point.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah if you are going to have a need for a larger tablet then definitely wait and get what you need. For me I have a larger tablet and I love to use when I am at home but when I travel or day to day use I would really like to have something smaller that I can bring with me just about anywhere. Not to mention cheaper! If I am going to carrying my tablet with me everywhere and therefore increasing the likelyhood of it being stolen damaged or whatever I'd rather it be one that is fairly inexpensive and easier to replace.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I just pre ordered mine today from gamestop, I am getting the 16gb. Can't wait to get my new toy.:)

Sent from my white, sexy S3.

MNwantItNow

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Got mine on Friday. My first tablet. I could not resist the price. Been having fun with the larger screen(compared to my GSIIET) and Jelly Bean. Google Now is awesome! I really like the size, it is very portable and light. I was using my phone for all my internet searching and was getting tired of trying to find things on my phone's 4" screen. I am happy I went to Sam's Club.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood