Connect via RCA cables?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Can I go MHL to HDMI to RCA?

I don't see why not, with a HDMI to RCA cable. You'd need a female HDMI connector on the RCA cable, so if you can't find one, you may also need a female to female HDMI coupler.

So it'd be something like this ...

Phone --> MHL cable --> female HDMI coupler --> HDMI to RCA cable --> input device

Reactions: Murphy5111

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Dang that's custom. Let us know if it works please, I'm curious.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh actually, most if not all MHL cables have a female connector, so an HDMI cable can be plugged into it. So you probably wouldn't need a coupler.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh actually, most if not all MHL cables have a female connector, so an HDMI cable can be plugged into it. So you probably wouldn't need a coupler.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I may have to take a trip to radio Shack this weekend. If I can get it to work or figure it out, I'll report back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

dulaneyk

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Finally.I was able to connect my samsung galaxy s3 to my Tahoe entertainment system using RCA cable.I connected the Samsung Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter to my Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 and to the Etekcity Mini HDMI to AV Composite RCA CVBS Video + Audio Converter For TV. I plugged the RCA cables from the Etekcity into my Tahoe Enertainment system. Both the Adapter and the converter need the power supply before working.

spuck20

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of as I went digging through the web. Of course, it can't be as simple as the old AV out cables Samsung used to have. Guess they just assume we'll never need to hook to anything without HDMI capability. Mine will be attached to the screens in our Nissan Quest. Playing it off the phone is so much easier than trying to keep track of Disney DVD's during a road trip.

VivacePhoto

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Kdulaney, would you be able to share a picture of this setup for me so I can be sure I am understanding all parts required and the order of connection? I am looking to do the same thing with my Note 2 to a Nissan Pathfinder. Have been searching for a feasible solution for several days now and am glad to have come across your post!!

Also, could you tell me: does this work to display anything that is on your phone's screen or only files that are saved onto the device? I would love to be able to view Hulu, YouTube, navigation, etc. rather than just music and videos saved on my phone.

One more question: Does your phone have charging ability while connected like this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
There is no direct adapter from HDMI to composite/s-video. This is because there is a copy protection aspect of the HDMI spec. Instead you need an active device that will convert it to a different output. For the S2, you'll need an MHL adapter. (Note that the s3 uses a non-standard one.) You can find those discussed on this forum.

Here's the one I have: MHL Adapter – Micro USB to HDMI ? Cirago
It has 3 connections: micro-usb male to the phone, micro-usb female for power, and full size HDMI for video out

Connect this to a standard HDMI cable

The other end of the cable would go to an HDMI to composite converter such as HDMI to Composite/S-Video Converter 3 RCA CRT TV CVBS - Etekcity
This also requires it's own power supply as it is an active converter instead of a passive adapter.

sjohalsrt8

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Now I am curious about doing this in my car as well I found a converter that plugs into the note 2 then there is a box at tge end that has a hdmi plug. My question is for the hdmi cable can I just use a simpke hdmi to av cable they have one that is a hdmi plug then it turns into av all one cable pretty much one end is hdmi other is av lol

rlakritz

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I want to connect my Samsung Galaxy s4 to my Civic's Blaupunkt multimedia system. I was told by the dealer to buy an AV composite cable (with 3 RCA male plugs) that would connect to my phone. Problem is that I have found 2 versions: one has a micro USB to connect into the charging spot on the bottom of the phone, and the other has a 3.5mm plug for the headset spot on the top of the phone. When I read the descriptions of the 2 cables, both claim to be used to view photos, videos, etc on a TV monitor. Does anyone have any idea which type of plug I need to connect to my phone? Thanks!

Carl Barnes

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Can't I convert my moto x Motorola 4g LGE much in the same manor only RCA to HDMI female or male, HDMI cable to micro USB on moto x to screen programs to my analog Sony TV??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol