Official - I Received the ICS OTA Update!! Thread

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Those of you who are interested in rooting and also waiting for the update there is a way you can get the update that is pre-rooted and you can keep all your data.

arlimes

May 24, 2012
Visit site
nothin in sw Missouri. then again after tornado last year nothin in my city anyway lmao.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Remember guys, OTA updates are not based on region at all. It doesn't matter where you live. Google's GOTA servers pick phones at random, and updates roll out slowly over about 7 days.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If all the battery drain issues are true, I'm not updating then. The battery life on this phone is incredible especially for an android phone and I'm not falling for this again like I did with my Evo.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If all the battery drain issues are true, I'm not updating then. The battery life on this phone is incredible especially for an android phone and I'm not falling for this again like I did with my Evo.

My battery life on the last many ICS builds has been excellent. You have nothing to fear on that front.

Edit - I should qualify this statement a bit. Any time you have a large OS update like this, Applications and settings that worked perfectly on the current OS version has the chance of becoming a battery hog after the update. There are so many variables involved, and not all App developers have optimized their software for ICS. Keep that in mind. Also, it can sometimes take time for the battery gauge to settle in. You usually want to give the phone a couple of full charging cycles before you come to the conclusion that you have an issue somewhere.

Last edited:

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My battery life on the last many ICS builds has been excellent. You have nothing to fear on that front.

Edit - I should qualify this statement a bit. Any time you have a large OS update like this,
Applications and settings that worked perfectly on the current OS version has the chance of becoming a battery hog after the update. There are so many variables involved, and not all App developers have optimized their software for ICS. Keep that in mind. Also, it can sometimes take time for the battery gauge to settle in. You usually want to give the phone a couple of full charging cycles before you come to the conclusion that you have an issue somewhere.

What about the nexus s 4g? I'm still waiting for the battery to stabilize on that phone.

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if OTA update to ICS will still work if I'm still on 2.3.4? Haven't been able to successfully update to 2.3.6..

If you are not on EL29 I highly doubt you will be able to install this - usually the OTA's are an inplace upgrade to only the most recent prior version - so if you are 2 versions old it won't.

If you try to accept EL29 again and provide the error we may be able to help you resolve it. Usually it is caused by rooting and removing stock apps, or flashing something which changes the stock experience. There are ways to get back to stock using Odin - or if you are a rom flasher you may be better served by waiting for a FF18 ROM.

invis4ble

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Arg I would PM you but I don't have enough posts :-\

I have not done anything to the phone in terms of rooting etc etc.

When I got to install 2.3.6 it goes from unpacking the update then gets hung up about 4/10ths the way through and shows the exclamation point image. Doesn't specify what its getting hung up on though..

Could it be that I uninstalled an app at one point that I wasn't suppose to?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

No, you would not be able to uninstall any required system applications with having root access. You likely either have some corrupt in your file system or you have a bad update download that your phone is trying to use.

You may want to backup you data, pictures, videos etc and do a factory reset. Then check for system updates and see if you can get the update to EL29 to go through. I'm not sure if this will solve your issue though. If it doesn't, you may have to take it in and have a Sprint tech manually flash it to EL29 if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

invis4ble

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey, big thanks guys!

I believe I might have to do a system restore because the OTA 2.3.6 update never worked and yesterday I manually downloaded the file to my SD card and tried it that way - no dice.

wraith404

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Arg I would PM you but I don't have enough posts :-\

I have not done anything to the phone in terms of rooting etc etc.

When I got to install 2.3.6 it goes from unpacking the update then gets hung up about 4/10ths the way through and shows the exclamation point image. Doesn't specify what its getting hung up on though..

It could be, but I don't think you could uninstall anything relevant without root. This may be your best bet to get to 2.3.6 (EL29) in order to accept the OTA:

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Use the download marked PRESERVE user data if you can, that will upgrade you without a data reset. It will be rooted, but not to worry, the OTA will kindly remove that for you. Read it all carefully, it's easy, but as they say.. R.I.F.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca