Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Do you know what's even more anoying?

SC20120712-123016.png

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It could be, but I don't think you could uninstall anything relevant without root. This may be your best bet to get to 2.3.6 (EL29) in order to accept the OTA:

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Use the download marked PRESERVE user data if you can, that will upgrade you without a data reset. It will be rooted, but not to worry, the OTA will kindly remove that for you. Read it all carefully, it's easy, but as they say.. R.I.F.

Yep, this would be it invis4ble if you're comfortable manually flashing EL29 yourself. As wraith said, it's quite easy and really is low risk, but again, you have to be comfortable doing it. If not, try the system restore.

imaposer

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
If all the battery drain issues are true, I'm not updating then. The battery life on this phone is incredible especially for an android phone and I'm not falling for this again like I did with my Evo.

Well, for the record, my battery use has always been awful. No idea why, I'm not using it to stream video or music, and have no idea what uses up the battery, but i never make it through a day on a single charge. It typically goes back on the charger within six hours of use.

Utah_Utes_Man

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Not rooted here, Just tried to move the ICS 'update.zip' file to my root directory & it said I don't have sufficient permissions. Dang!

Sent from my SPH-D710

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Let me guess... I need root? ='(

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

No, the post looks like the official update not including root and not needing root to install. Go to the link and follow the manual install instructions.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Not rooted here, Just tried to move the ICS 'update.zip' file to my root directory & it said I don't have sufficient permissions. Dang!

Sent from my SPH-D710

Yes you need root in order to move files to the root folder. However, I don't believe you need to put the file there. I believe you can install it from stock recovery with the file on a external SD card (not sure about internal sd).

Reference: How to manually update to Official FF18 ICS - xda-developers

Reactions: Utah_Utes_Man

TouchWizard

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion both here and over at xda regarding where to place the update.zip file. I had to go and find one of my old SD cards and put it on there and the update installed fine. :)

Oleyeller

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
How long do I have to wait before it starts the download....I have been waiting like 10 minutes now. I have tried this download 2 times already.....just goes to a caution sign with the android guy near it. and just sits there......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae