Official - I Received the ICS OTA Update!! Thread

TouchWizard

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues with this as well, but I found out you have to hold the button combination(s) for a few seconds and then a screenshot will be taken. It works quite well, and you also receive a notification with your screenshot, which I thought was a nice touch.
EDIT: Man, this seems like the hundredth time today I've been beat to a response by a few seconds. Oh well.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Tsukiyomi

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Using stock ICS via Sprint ID, when I click the menu button I get Wallpaper, Manage Apps and System Settings.

Infinite scroll works fine under Touch Wiz, but again, I'm now using stock ICS or at least trying to.

Screenshot with home/power button still works. Just appears you gotta hold it a bit longer.

Reactions: Utah_Utes_Man

jboy099

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm having same problem - I get the triangle with the !, then the progress bar with the arrow, then it seems I am back to the triangle with the !. Appears the process is failing for some reason on my phone.

I had that problem the first time I did it.

I powered it off. Then back on. I checked to make sure the file was there and in the right place. It all looked good. I think powered it back off again and then booted back into download mode and followed the instructions again.

This time it worked without issue. I don't know if I inadvertently fixed something or if it was just a fluke error that first time.

rinsf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried multiple times with same result (failure).

When you say download mode, I assume you mean where you hold the volume control up, not the Odin mode where you hold it down.

I had that problem the first time I did it.

I powered it off. Then back on. I checked to make sure the file was there and in the right place. It all looked good. I think powered it back off again and then booted back into download mode and followed the instructions again.

This time it worked without issue. I don't know if I inadvertently fixed something or if it was just a fluke error that first time.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried multiple times with same result (failure).

When you say download mode, I assume you mean where you hold the volume control up, not the Odin mode where you hold it down.

Yeah I believe he meant to say "stock recovery" rather than download mode, which isn't applicable in this case.

You do indeed hold Vol-Up + Power to boot into recovery. If you placed the manual update.zip file in the root of your EXTERNAL SD card (assuming you have one installed), you should be able to navigate to it with your Vol-Down/Up buttons after first selecting "install from SD card" from the first menu. Selecting it and hitting the Home button should start the install.

You may sit on the screen with the Android guy and a Exclamation Point for awhile before you see a progress bar. Just be patient with it. If the progress bar starts but something fails in the process, you either have a bad file download or there is something in your existing system files that the update doesn't like, which means the OTA would likely fail in that case as well.

I'd suggest downloading the file again and starting over. Then give the update what you would think is way too much time, then give it a little more time. If it still won't get through, there is likely something about your existing system that is not playing nice with the update. In that case, I'd suggest you backup all of your pictures, videos, files, and user application data, and do a factory reset/system restore. Then try again.

jboy099

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I believe he meant to say "stock recovery" rather than download mode, which isn't applicable in this case.

You do indeed hold Vol-Up + Power to boot into recovery. If you placed the manual update.zip file in the root of your EXTERNAL SD card (assuming you have one installed), you should be able to navigate to it with your Vol-Down/Up buttons after first selecting "install from SD card" from the first menu. Selecting it and hitting the Home button should start the install.

You may sit on the screen with the Android guy and a Exclamation Point for awhile before you see a progress bar. Just be patient with it. If the progress bar starts but something fails in the process, you either have a bad file download or there is something in your existing system files that the update doesn't like, which means the OTA would likely fail in that case as well.

I'd suggest downloading the file again and starting over. Then give the update what you would think is way too much time, then give it a little more time. If it still won't get through, there is likely something about your existing system that is not playing nice with the update. In that case, I'd suggest you backup all of your pictures, videos, files, and user application data, and do a factory reset/system restore. Then try again.

Yes, sorry. Stock recovery mode. I just got mixed up.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Using stock ICS via Sprint ID, when I click the menu button I get Wallpaper, Manage Apps and System Settings.

Infinite scroll works fine under Touch Wiz, but again, I'm now using stock ICS or at least trying to.

Screenshot with home/power button still works. Just appears you gotta hold it a bit longer.

I can't even get into Sprint ID. When I try I get "Sprint Network Not Detected"

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Baltimore and got the notification for the update popped up this morning around 3am. So far, ICS seems great, I haven't had any problems so far. The new speech to text is AMAZING. Way more accurate and quicker than ever before. :)

rinsf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Tried all of the standard stuff like re-downloading, etc., but I get to the arrow/progress bar, then it stops in the middle of the progress bar and I'm back to the !, and it stays there indefinitely.

I am rooted, I forget how I got here but I think I had the prior version of Android, used OTA Rootkeeper, upgraded to the current version and then used OTA Rootkeeper to restore root after the upgrade. Perhaps that kept some files from the prior version of Android which is causing the upgrade to fail.

If I do a factory reset (which I'm not thrilled about doing), will I be able to then use the ICS zip file to go straight to ICS from factory default?

SugarBean936

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Texas and I have the Note. I got a text from ATT today saying the ICU is ready and it gave a link to follow directions for download. That being said, this is my first droid phone (switched from iPhone) and I'm still learning the device. Would it be smart of me to just wait to do this update? I don't even know how to back everything on my phone up so I don't lose anything. I'd hate to do the update and have all these glitches and no idea how to fix them. TIA
Amanda

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Tried all of the standard stuff like re-downloading, etc., but I get to the arrow/progress bar, then it stops in the middle of the progress bar and I'm back to the !, and it stays there indefinitely.

I am rooted, I forget how I got here but I think I had the prior version of Android, used OTA Rootkeeper, upgraded to the current version and then used OTA Rootkeeper to restore root after the upgrade. Perhaps that kept some files from the prior version of Android which is causing the upgrade to fail.

If I do a factory reset (which I'm not thrilled about doing), will I be able to then use the ICS zip file to go straight to ICS from factory default?

Okay. You probably modified something in your file system while rooted that is causing the update to fail.

Since your only option is to flash something in Odin, I'd recommend you simply flash the stock rooted FF18 firmware using the Odin One-Click solution provided by sfhub.

Download here: [ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858 (FF18 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

If you use the "Preserve User Data" option, it will be just like installing the manual OTA update, except in this case you'll still have root privileges.

rinsf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'll so that this evening - unless someone posts some other solution between now and when I get home.

Thanks.

Okay. You probably modified something in your file system while rooted that is causing the update to fail.

Since your only option is to flash something in Odin, I'd recommend you simply flash the stock rooted FF18 firmware using the Odin One-Click solution provided by sfhub.

Download here: [ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858 (FF18 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

If you use the "Preserve User Data" option, it will be just like installing the manual OTA update, except in this case you'll still have root privileges.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Texas and I have the Note. I got a text from ATT today saying the ICU is ready and it gave a link to follow directions for download. That being said, this is my first droid phone (switched from iPhone) and I'm still learning the device. Would it be smart of me to just wait to do this update? I don't even know how to back everything on my phone up so I don't lose anything. I'd hate to do the update and have all these glitches and no idea how to fix them. TIA
Amanda

This forum and information on the ICS update is for the Epic 4G Touch, which is the Samsung Galaxy SII version on Sprint. For information on the ICS update for the Note, you'd want to visit that specific forum.

With that said, while you can always backup information as a precaution, rarely is it necessary when doing an update. These device updates are almost always designed to preserve user data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance