E4GT ICS Update - One Stop Shop for Information

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
With the ICS update for the Epic 4G Touch apparently rolling out today, I wanted to create a post with some useful (hopefully) information and advice. It's been quite some time since the last update for this phone, and some of the nuances of OTA updates tend to get lost in the sea of information.

In typical Sprint fashion, this update is being rolled out over-the-air, via Google's GOTA update servers rather than a manual update via Kies. Updates are not in any way shape or form based on region! The GOTA servers pick devices at random. How it works is, when your device is picked, a small update file will be pushed to your phone without you having to do anything. If you hit "system updates" with this file on your phone, you get a prompt to download an update. If you do not have this file and you check for updates, you will not get a prompt. If you do not check for system updates manually, your phone will eventually give you a pop-up notification that you have an update pending (assuming your phone has received the update trigger file).

OTA updates are usually rolled about over about 1 week, so don't be alarmed if you don't get a notification for the update right away.

[info]Update: The download file for the update has been discovered, which can be used to manually update your phone to ICS.

Download link and instructions thread (thanks qbking77!): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1768479

If you have the desire to install the update prior to receiving the OTA notification, the update can be installed manually using the phone's stock recovery. This is not rooting or modding, only using stock recovery to install official Samsung signed firmware (which is the only kind you can install using stock recovery).

How-to video on installing the OTA update manually (thanks again qbking77!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsfJXKv23o[/info]

I also see this question a lot ...

If I rooted my phone can I download and install the OTA update?

Being rooted alone is fine, although installing the update typically removes root privileges. However, your ROM, kernel, modem and recovery has to be 100% stock EL29 or the update installation will fail. This includes removing any system applications from the stock ROM. So if you uninstalled Sprint Zone for example, the update will most likely fail.

So if you are not 100% stock, what do you do if you want to install the update via the OTA? You have to return your device to stock EL29. Here's how ...

Go here http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...11-root-e4gt-latest-method-el29-firmware.html, click the link to sfhub's XDA thread and download the NODATA version of his Odin one-click. Then follow the instructions and flash the firmware. Doing this will return you to 100% stock rooted and allow you to keep your Application data. You then should be able to install the OTA update without issue. Again, installing the update will likely remove your root privileges.

I've had just about every leaked ICS build for the Epic 4G Touch on my phone, and I will say that you very well may discover some problems after updating to ICS. While the latest firmware is mostly problem free, there are still some lingering bugs that affect users in some circumstances. My best advice is to check the forums to see if other users are experiencing the same issue and to see if any resolution has been found.

I'll be checking in to this thread to answer any questions, so feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Will the update utilize wifi, or does it have to use 3G? No 4G here.

Hmm that's a good question. The system should allow you to download the update via 3G, although it will probably take awhile. Your best bet is wifi if it's available to you somewhere.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Could the file be downloaded to a PC and then installed to your device via USB? Could be a possibly solution to those without SD cards but are near a computer.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Could the file be downloaded to a PC and then installed to your device via USB? Could be a possibly solution to those without SD cards but are near a computer.

No. The update would need to be installed via stock recovery, which has no way to read a file from a PC over a USB connection.

Reactions: byoung1989

imparishilton

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried downloading it to my phone and it shows up as a white paper looking file when I transferred to ext sd. Im not near a pc, and when I powered it up it didn't find the file. Can I update this way?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried downloading it to my phone and it shows up as a white paper looking file when I transferred to ext sd. Im not near a pc, and when I powered it up it didn't find the file. Can I update this way?

You need to power off your phone, then boot into recovery by holding down Volume-Up and Power at the same time. Then you use the recovery functions to locate the update.zip file and install it.

Do I need to unzip the file or is it even possible

No you do not want to unzip it.

I highly suggest you watch qbking77's "how to" video on the manual update linked a few posts up. It should show you everything you need to know.

imparishilton

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I watched the video and did everything. I changed the file to update also. But in recovery is went to update using sd card and the update file was not located. Im trying it all over just to make sure

sniper222

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted in EL29 and did the manual update which all seemed to work well after updates were done. I want to root again in FF18, is it done the same way as before.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted in EL29 and did the manual update which all seemed to work well after updates were done. I want to root again in FF18, is it done the same way as before.

Indeed it is. Here is the FF18 Rooted Firmware via the Odin One-Click provided by sfhub.

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858 (FF18 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Make sure you use the "Preserve User Data" version.

Technically, you could have just flashed this from EL29 rather than manually installing the update, and you would have been exactly where you are now, except still rooted. Still, doing the above will get you root.

Reactions: AndrewRich

scottmc129

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
where on the SD card does the update.zip need to be? when in recovery the status bar comes up pretty quick....gets about half way....status bar disapears and i am stuck on the triangle and droid with nothing happening and no status bar.

i have the zip file in the /sdcard/external_sd folder. Is this correct?

thanks,

imparishilton

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thx Jay Will for the assistance. In recovery mode it shows files in alphabetical order and the u in update would not show because of other files and the volume down would not go past the r. I changed the name of the update and was able to download everything successfully. Thx a million. I have ice cream!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thx Jay Will for the assistance. In recovery mode it shows files in alphabetical order and the u in update would not show because of other files and the volume down would not go past the r. I changed the name of the update and was able to download everything successfully. Thx a million. I have ice cream!

You betcha. I'm glad you got it working. Enjoy ICS!

Ubaldo.ht

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Anybody knows how to remove the message in the lock screen??

It keeps saying "swipe your finger to unlock?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power