Ok, so for as long as I can remember I have not been able to update from Gingerbread 2.3.4.

I believe when 2.3.6 came out, I got the prompt to download and install. Ok, so I did but when it was unpacking the update, it would get stuck at about 4/10th the way through then stop progress. In about 10 seconds, it would throw the error message that would stay that way indefinitely.

Recently, with the talk of ICS coming out - I really wanted to upgrade to el29 from eg30 (so I could go from there to ics). I wiped my phone and SD Card and tried both manually and OTA updating methods, both of which came up with the same results as before.

Is it time to pay Sprint a visit? If not, what else could I try - keep in mind I do NOT want to root the phone.
    07-12-2012 11:13 PM
    Ok, so for as long as I can remember I have not been able to update from Gingerbread 2.3.4.

I believe when 2.3.6 came out, I got the prompt to download and install. Ok, so I did but when it was unpacking the update, it would get stuck at about 4/10th the way through then stop progress. In about 10 seconds, it would throw the error message that would stay that way indefinitely.

Recently, with the talk of ICS coming out - I really wanted to upgrade to el29 from eg30 (so I could go from there to ics). I wiped my phone and SD Card and tried both manually and OTA updating methods, both of which came up with the same results as before.

Is it time to pay Sprint a visit? If not, what else could I try - keep in mind I do NOT want to root the phone.
    Yup, you have done the logical steps that don't require root. They will probably just flash the Odin file, which you can easily do you though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    07-12-2012 11:29 PM
    thanks for the reply

Could you possibly point me to a thread that would show me the process. I can probably do it on my own.
    07-12-2012 11:34 PM
    So, just got back from sprint. They had the same issue even when they hooked it up to their computers. I have 2 options.

1) Apparently, when the ICS OTA update gets pushed, it will update my 2.3.4 to 4.0.4. I was under the impression that my firmware had to be 2.3.6 in order to get ICS.

2) If that is no dice, then I will be getting a refurbished phone. Maybe even push for a new s3
    07-13-2012 11:53 AM
    I just replied to your PM invis4ble. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I find it weird that Sprint didn't just Odin the EL29 firmware to your phone. A good tech would have done that and sent you on your way.

I see now that you don't want your phone rooted, which I did address in the final part of my PM to you. To summarize, I'd suggest you run sfhub's EL29 Odin One-Click, which is really easy and almost impossible to mess up. Use the "Preserve User Data" version of the file so your data isn't wiped. Then install the manual ICS update, which should remove root from your phone. The end result should be un-rooted stock ICS.
    07-13-2012 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD