03-25-2013 11:04 PM
72 123
tools
    I dont understand why people are having "Android OS" overload after the ICS Update.
    07-17-2012 09:54 PM
    I dont understand why people are having "Android OS" overload after the ICS Update.

I still am. But I've got to ask after seeing your pics - I thought you were getting much better battery life after the Factory Reset?

Here's mine and this is still draining faster than it was on GB

07-17-2012 10:19 PM
    I still am. But I've got to ask after seeing your pics - I thought you were getting much better battery life after the Factory Reset?

Here's mine and this is still draining faster than it was on GB

Click to view quoted image
    That is awesome life for me. Lol. My screen time is 2hrs 47 mins with 100% brightness. And full animations. Awesomeness.
    07-17-2012 10:31 PM
    That is awesome life for me. Lol. My screen time is 2hrs 47 mins with 100% brightness. And full animations. Awesomeness.
    I'm on 100% brightness with full animations too, lol. As of taking that pic I posted my screen time was 1hr 29min 11secs. With GB I'd have been down to about 83-85% with those same stats!
    07-17-2012 10:37 PM
    What apps do you run? Could be a rogue app maybe?
    07-17-2012 10:41 PM
    dun think is a rogue app. i got the same problem after i do a software update.. n this is really getting on my nerves.. i basically have to plug in to charge every time i see a power supply
    07-18-2012 06:34 AM
    After I got the upgrade yesterday, I followed DK2's full instructions, BUT I didn't do a backup.....I fresh installed the apps I wanted. My battery life is same as before the upgrade. No worse. I think the main issue is that some phones have "ghost apps" that are sucking down th ebattery. I also noticed that after the upgrade adn reset, my wifi, BT and 4G were all on. I disabled them all as they sucked 15% of my battery down in 20 minutes by themselves. Make certain all that stuff is OFF.
    settedollar likes this.
    07-18-2012 07:28 AM
    carole6m, You can't be using it at all because the screen says only 11%! If you were using it the screen would be the highest battery usage.. Not trying to debunk what you're saying, just stating the obvious!
    07-18-2012 09:13 AM
    I left my phone unplugged all night, got about 27 hours total and had 19% left on the battery. Not as good as with GB but much better than before. Has anyone tried going back to GB yet? I am still thinking about it, then letting it update again. I feel maybe the update was some what corrupt. Any thoughts on that?
    07-18-2012 09:22 AM
    What are you doing to get that?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    It was about the same right after I got the update but after a few days it got better. I also disabled haptic feedback since vibration uses a lot of battery. I was getting around 19 hours on Gingerbread and around 20 hours right after the update. But now it's been 1.5 days and I still have more than 30% left.
    sndplace likes this.
    07-18-2012 09:25 AM
    My Android OS says it's 60%. Not happy.
    I have not done a reset yet. I really don't want to.

Why do you guys have that funny looking font? Mine does not look like that at all! Or are you all choosing to have that font that looks like a 3 year old scratched it out.
    07-18-2012 09:43 AM
    My Android OS says it's 60%. Not happy.
    I have not done a reset yet. I really don't want to.

Why do you guys have that funny looking font? Mine does not look like that at all! Or are you all choosing to have that font that looks like a 3 year old scratched it out.
    Its called "Chooky font" Lol.
    07-18-2012 09:56 AM
    My screen is 50% and Android OS is at 35%

I did a factory reset after the update and yesterday my extended battery 3800mah was dead by noon. On a full charge i can go 12-14 hours with A LOT of ussage and still have about 15% left when i go to bed at night..

phone has been off the charger for 4 hours now and im down 40% WTF.. if i was on a stock battery i would be hating life right now.

I have the brightness turned down to maybe 1/4 and its still using 50% ugh.
    07-18-2012 10:40 AM
    leaving wifi on is what is killing mine. it took 5 to 7% an hour with it on and not using phone at all. turned wifi off and now droping only 1 to2 % an hour .also have buletooth and 4g off.
    my 3g data is also better.
    07-18-2012 11:51 AM
    We had the same issues on the Droid X. All you have to do is boot into recovery and wipe cache. Problem solved. Over time the android os usage will gradually decrease over time. As a matter of fact I just did it an hour ago to my e4gt n it worked. Simple fix.

07-18-2012 01:35 PM
    Has anyone tried a DIFFERENT LAUNCHER?

My boss's boss allowed the ICS update and now it's draining soo fast, it's barely useful.

I don't want to do a factory reset, especially since folks here said it didn't help.

I did make these tweaks to help a bit until we get to the bottom of it.

Turn wifi off (check advanced options for “keep wifi on during sleep”
    Update prl
    Check for any other updates
    Main screen | settings:
    Enable power saving mode, but don’t let it turn off sync.
    disable motion activation
    Disable haptic
    mmiser likes this.
    07-18-2012 02:18 PM

My boss's boss allowed the ICS update and now it's draining soo fast, it's barely useful.

I don't want to do a factory reset, especially since folks here said it didn't help.

Turn wifi off (check advanced options for keep wifi on during sleep
    Update prl
    Main screen | settings:
    Enable power saving mode, but dont let it turn off sync.
    Disable haptic
    Wipe cache.

07-18-2012 02:36 PM
    BTW, I did install go launcher just to rule out touchwiz and any widgets she had which might have gone rouge.

Also, I suggest going into latitude, turn OFF location reporting, then LOGOUT of latitude (in options | location settings)

I'll report how all these changes go in a few days.
    07-18-2012 03:09 PM
    What may help some of you is going into applications that you don't use. Then clicking disable. Some of these apps are running even when you don't want them. After a reset my battery life is a as good as before plus the phone seems zippier ( that part could be placebo ).
    07-18-2012 03:27 PM

Turn wifi off (check advanced options for keep wifi on during sleep
    Update prl
    Main screen | settings:
    Enable power saving mode, but dont let it turn off sync.
    Disable haptic
    Making wifi turn off during sleep worked! My battery is back; and really who needs their wifi to run when the phone is sleeping?

One more piece of advice that helped me out before the wifi tip. I let me battery run down to <10% and then shut off my phone and charged it to 100%. I had all but 10% of my battery life back. Oh and I did do a hard reset from the command prompt, doing that from within the settings under privacy did not work for me, I had to start over and do it from the command prompt. Get there by shutting down and then hold the power+volume up button until the Galaxy SII screen comes up, then using the volume up down select the factory reset option and hit the power button to initiate it.

Anyway it worked for me.. Wish you all luck!
    07-19-2012 01:06 AM
    SUCCESS !!!

One of these did the trick: she only lost 8% in 4 hours this morning.
    I asked her to turn on wifi to help narrow down which of the changes was important.
    If wifi, I'll have wifi turn off during sleep as described above.

Anyway, here's the sum of the changes I made:

Turn wifi off (check advanced options for “keep wifi on during sleep”
    Update prl
    Main screen | settings:
    Enable power saving mode, but don’t let it turn off sync.
    Disable haptic
    Installed Go Launcher (just the main clock/weather default widget)
    Latitude | don’t detect location | sign out of latitude
    07-19-2012 09:53 AM
    done all that and the android os is still taking up 30 percent
    07-19-2012 11:31 AM
    done all that and the android os is still taking up 30 percent
    Understand that the % in which any one part of the system is using, is relative to the way the user is using the phone. That is to say that the OS is pretty much the only thing taxing the battery then it will be the highest in %. If you were playing a game for say 10 minutes then that game would most likely take the highest % and the OS might be lowered to less than 5%. Try just keeping the screen alive for just 10 minutes and then check your battery stats and see the result.

So just because the OS says it is responsible for 30% of the battery drain doesn't mean that your battery life is no good.. 30% of what? 30% of 2% an hour is completely different from 30% of 25% an hour! Just follow the advice from pcguys post and also check out my post and you will be just fine.

Hope this helps!
    sndplace likes this.
    07-19-2012 09:44 PM
    Yep! Exactly what MMinster said.

I remember when we first got the touch last year. the OS % was crazy and was always the highest. What was told back then was basically look at it as 100% then you have to divide that into what the battery is being used by. So if your phone has been idling for and hour and you only dropped 2% of your battery but your OS states 60% usage, its just means that during that time your most highest using item during that time was the OS.

Don't look at the % as a drain unless your battery itself is draining fast. Draw Something was a killer for me until a transferred it to my SD now its good.
    07-20-2012 06:15 AM
    I thought I was a hero, curing the battery problem, and giving her an awesome "go launcher" new look & feel.

She came into my office this morning complaining that her exchange & comcast email accounts were gone.

Sure enough, only the google account remained in accounts.

She did say there was some kind of update overnight, but nothing that suggested it would wipe away her email accounts.

She really wished she took my advice and spent the extra $100 and go the Galaxy 3 (she bought the S2 fifteen days ago, now beyond the return period).

So, I just reset to factory defaults

I will search now on how to wipe system cache.

Now, she's afraid to do any updates and this phone will remain as-is for the next 2 years. What a shame.

How could this have gone so wrong?

Mike
    07-20-2012 08:22 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD