03-25-2013 11:04 PM
72 123
tools
    BTW, I did this to wipe system cache:

hold volume up, home and press (and hold power) until green android logo appears. Then let go. Then use volume up/down to navigate menu of choices. Then, menu button to select highlighted choice.

The android spinning logo has been going for about a half hour.

HOW LONG SHOULD A WIPE TAKE?
    07-20-2012 08:55 AM
    BTW, I did this to wipe system cache:

hold volume up, home and press (and hold power) until green android logo appears. Then let go. Then use volume up/down to navigate menu of choices. Then, menu button to select highlighted choice.

The android spinning logo has been going for about a half hour.

HOW LONG SHOULD A WIPE TAKE?
    Mine took a few seconds. Certainly less than 10.
    07-20-2012 09:08 AM
    This is just from sitting in my pocket and doing nothing not even a text message.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-20-2012 10:54 AM
    I found the problem:

It's not the menu button to select, it's the power button to select.

Pressing menu displays that goofy spinning logo. Pressing it again gets back to the menu.

So, I wiped cache, then did a wipe data/factory reset.

That completed ok.

It booted up to ICS (hopefully fresh as the driven snow).

That's as close to rooting as I want to get: I was really anxious: I didn't want to brick my boss's boss's ten day old phone!

Mike
    07-20-2012 12:58 PM
    I found the Chrome is really bad with the battery drain. Don't know why. But I uninstalled it and the battery drain isn't as bad. Maybe its because its always syncing for bookmarks and web pages? So if your using Chrome ans having battery drain, they uninstalling it and see if it helps.

07-20-2012 02:47 PM
    I found the Chrome is really bad with the battery drain. Don't know why. But I uninstalled it and the battery drain isn't as bad. Maybe its because its always syncing for bookmarks and web pages? So if your using Chrome ans having battery drain, they uninstalling it and see if it helps.

Alot of ICS based apps like CNN. Fox News. The weather channel. Facebook. Etc etc are eatting at users battery. They never get killed by the OS for some reason.
    07-20-2012 03:45 PM
    Does anyone know if I rooted the stock ICS would help with the battery drain? I tried the factory reset and it didn't do anything for me. My batter is lasting only 6 hours. It used to last 12 or 14.
    07-20-2012 06:25 PM
    Does anyone know if I rooted the stock ICS would help with the battery drain? I tried the factory reset and it didn't do anything for me. My batter is lasting only 6 hours. It used to last 12 or 14.
    Have you followed all the instructions in this thread? The stock ICS should be the same as the ICS you have unless you rooted your phone and installed a mod version.

I promise that if you follow all the suggestions in this thread you will get you battery life back as good as it was before ICS. You just need to follow all the instructions. See pcguys and my posts throughout this thread.. If you can't find all of them just let me know and I will write a step by step instruction and post it.

Wish you luck!
    fcjr77 likes this.
    07-20-2012 08:34 PM
    My phone is doing the same. I'm the one that contacted Sprint and they claim they are sending me a new phone. We'll see!
    07-21-2012 12:14 AM
    I have done the factory reset and that didn't help, so if you do have a step by step that e would be great. thanks.
    07-21-2012 03:11 AM
    I was having horrible battery life after the update, managed to fix it without a reset. Here's what I did:

1. I used sfhub's one click odin package to install rooted ff18 - the no data restore version.

2. Used the auto-root package to install the EMMC-safe version of CWM recovery, so i could...

3. Boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik.

4. Used the trick where you power your phone off, charge it to 100%, then pull the battery for 5 minutes before inserting it and powering on.

5. Go into Latitude, tell it not to update your location, then sign out of Latitude. If you don't, Maps will wake your phone at a ridiculous interval.

Sure, lots of steps, and i don't know which ones are actually necessary, but all that together seemed to work - battery life is back to gingerbread levels, my phone is rooted, free wifi tether works again, and i didn't lose any data; and it all took about an hour, far quicker then getting set back up after a reset would have been for me. Hopefully some of those tricks can help someone else...
    07-21-2012 02:12 PM
    I had a problem with chrome keeping the gyroscope open, like described in this post: Google Groups

Unchecking the tilt setting fixed it.
    07-21-2012 03:13 PM
    Have not performed a cache wipe or a reset, but found quite a bit of batter improvement by doing only the following:

1. Looked in Settings > Accounts and sync, and noticed that since the ICS upgrade, it had turned on contact syncing with Tango, Scype, Facebook and Qik. Turned syncing off for all of those, leaving only my gmail account and my microsoft exchange account.

2. Looked in Settings > Applications > Running, and stopped a lot of things that didn't look like they needed to be running.

3. Stopped updating my locations via Latitude.

That's it. Charged to full and have been happy with the drain since. Well, happy as I ever was before the update anyway. Have not rebooted though, so I imagine if I do, some of those things I stopped running will probably run again.

xtn
    07-22-2012 01:00 AM
    If you uncheck gyro, will the browser know you went sideways for landscape?
    07-22-2012 06:45 AM
    OK here is the step by step I promised. Don't skip any steps as it will not work!

BACK UP YOUR CONTACTS ONLY to GOOGLE ACCOUNT FIRST!

1. Power your phone off completely and then power on while simultaneously holding the volume up and the power button until you see the Galaxy SII screen.

2. A screen will appear with blue writing at the top, using the volume keys scroll down to " wipe data/factory reset" press the power botton to select this option. Let it go through the process, (maybe 30 seconds or so) and it will reboot automatically.

3. Once up and running go to settings and select (Developers options). Scroll to the bottom and check " Do not keep activities". Make sure all other boxes are unchecked.

4. Next go to wi-fi at the top of the page and select it. Press the settings button at the bottom left of the screen, a single tab will appear that says advanced, select it. Then select keep wi-fi on during sleep and select "Never(increases data usage)". Make sure no other boxes are checked.

5. Last step, let you battery drain almost completely, <10%. Turn the phone off and let it charge over night. I charged it from my USB port on my PC, this is much slower charge but it really conditions the battery. I would always charge this way.

So there it is. You lose data and it sucks but those games and apps were 50% of the issue anyway.

Hope this helps!
    07-22-2012 11:44 AM
    BATTERY DRAIN ON ICS [SOLVED] (for me anyways)

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

I'd like to know if this works for anyone else. Also, I was thinking that both Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker have setting that regulate their access to the antennas and it may be possible to tweak the settings to bring battery life into acceptable range. Didn't think much about it, because I don't really need these apps. Anyways, the above solution works for me. I did NOT do a factory reset and don't really want to; however, it is possible that a factory reset may/might resolve the battery drain problem.
    07-22-2012 01:27 PM
    I also have this issue. In my case, though, I had downloaded the official release from Sprint and installed from the zip. It worked great for two months. Then about a week-and-a-half ago, the OTA update finally showed up and installed. Since then, Android OS has had a dramatic increase in battery use. Today, my battery lasted about two hours. While reading for an hour, 62% battery use was from Android OS, and only 11% was from Display. Something is very wrong here, indeed. I think I might try reloading the official Epic 4G Touch ICS zip which I still have on my memory card. I shouldn't loose any data that way. I really appreciate the post on how to easily root this phone. I'll try that soon after I get everything backed up.
    09-11-2012 12:55 PM
    Nevermind. Not gonna happen this way.

assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop". "ro.build.fingerprint") == "samsung/SPH-D710/SPH-D710:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EL29:user/release-keys" || file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "samsung/SPH-D710/SPH-D710:4.0.4/IMM76I/FF18:user/release-keys"
    E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (Status 7)

In other words, I don't think I can install the package unless I have Gingerbread installed. I can't install ICS update onto itself
    09-11-2012 09:36 PM
    "Also, just a note to anyone using EMAIL rather than GMAIL - I've found lots of cases where removing the email account, then adding it back in again fixes a syncing issue that sucks down the battery. My advice - go grab a gmail account, forward your old mail to it, and use the GMAIL app -- it's better anyway."

https://help.ting.com/entries/217181...axy-sii?page=1
    09-11-2012 10:23 PM
    I'm suddenly having terrible battery drain issues after a couple of good months on ICS. I've posted here about it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ml#post2172815
    09-20-2012 09:01 AM
    I thought ICS was killing my battery. It turns out the main issue, for me, was that my battery was at the end of its life. I replaced it with a OEM (Sammy) battery, and after a couple charges my battery life is good. Perhaps not as good as it was with GB, but it is not too bad. I bought it on Amazon for $9.99 with free shipping.
    09-20-2012 02:06 PM
    I had JB update and the bug disappeared for the time of one battery charge and the battery lasted about 1.5 times what it lasted before update and what it last now.

So, Android OS is really taking up battery, and its a bug.

What I learned from this bug (dosnt seems all ''android os taking too much bat'' is the same issue);
    It start using battery only when screen is on.
    When it starts taking up alot of battery, the ''keep awake'' time is growing very fast (faster than real life.... wtf ?)
    When i let my screen off for an hour lets say, the bug takes like 15mins to comeback. during that 15 mins ''Android OS'' is acting normally.

im starting to ask myself if its not a surface flinger bug of something related to touch screen that would go off and take battery for nothing after a little time?

Do someone has the same symptoms as I do?
    It is very very annoying
    03-25-2013 11:04 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD