03-25-2013 11:04 PM
72 123
tools
    Hey everyone,
    I've noticed that after updating to ice cream sandwich, my battery life has taken quite a hit. Looking through the battery usage statistics, a process called "Android OS" is draining a significant amount of battery, appearing very high on the list. Before, this was never an issue, and the top battery-drqining processes were quite typical. Has anyone else had a similar issue, and does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks!
    Attached is a picture of my battery usage statistics.
    Attachment 30546

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 10:18 AM
    I am also seeing worse battery performance. Others have said a factory reset has helped. I am not at the point of doing that yet. It is a pain to re-download apps, go into each app and get the settings how I had them, etc.
    07-13-2012 03:07 PM
    Do a freaking factory reset. I tried every avenue and the data reset was the ONLY Cure to my Android OS Overload on battery stats.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    TouchWizard and llfloyd79 like this.
    07-13-2012 03:31 PM
    OK thanks! This followup is kind of a noobish question, but what exactly do I need to backup before I do a factory reset?

07-13-2012 03:35 PM
    OK thanks! This followup is kind of a noobish question, but what exactly do I need to backup before I do a factory reset?

Use MyBackup for non-root users from the market.

TouchWizard likes this.
    07-13-2012 03:53 PM
    Do I need to back up system data as well, or just applications? Also, this won't touch my USB Storage unless I tell it to, correct?
    07-13-2012 04:01 PM
    Do I need to back up system data as well, or just applications? Also, this won't touch my USB Storage unless I tell it to, correct?
    Correct. Internal storage is untouched by a factory reset.

TouchWizard likes this.
    07-13-2012 04:11 PM
    JUST BACKUP APPS ONLY. NOT THE DATA.

TouchWizard likes this.
    07-13-2012 04:12 PM
    Is there any specific reason for this?
    07-13-2012 04:14 PM
    Placebo.
    07-13-2012 04:15 PM
    Placebo.
    Huh?
    07-13-2012 04:31 PM
    I won't have to re update my phone correct? If it's a factors reset then factory is 2.3.6.....

07-13-2012 04:41 PM
    Is there any specific reason for this?
    Yes because Gingerbread App Data doesnt play nice with ICS at all. And no its not placebo. What is the point of doing a factory reset when you are just going to restore the app data that was causing the instability?

TouchWizard likes this.
    07-13-2012 04:55 PM
    I won't have to re update my phone correct? If it's a factors reset then factory is 2.3.6.....

Lmfao. No that is not how it works. Once you update the device to OTA ICS then that is the new software. It doesnt change back to a previous version.

07-13-2012 04:57 PM
    Does the OTA upgrade to ICS include a new item in the Settings - Display area to enable "Display Battery Percentage"?
    07-13-2012 10:48 PM
    Does the OTA upgrade to ICS include a new item in the Settings - Display area to enable "Display Battery Percentage"?
    I believe so.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums
    Sgooter likes this.
    07-14-2012 06:13 PM
    Yes it does.

Sgooter likes this.
    07-14-2012 06:40 PM
    Can you guys give me a suggestion here. I'm draining battery like crazy and most of it is from the Android OS. I got the phone used, the Sprint store cleared it to factory original(still was on GB). So when I got the phone I had no apps on it. I then did the manual update to get ICS. I then did another reset just to be sure. I installed apps and my Android OS is sucking up power like a broke college kid sucks up Natty Light. I then did another reset and it's doing the same thing. I have my email checking once every 15 minutes and a weather widget refreshing once an hour. I've lost 30% in like 3-4hrs of really doing nothing. The Android OS used 43% of that power.

I should have just stuck with my EVO3D.
    07-15-2012 08:05 PM
    ive done a factory reset but its not helping at all . my battery is going down much faster than before the update.
    07-15-2012 09:38 PM
    i hate doing the factory reset....but if it would help with this stupid battery draining....i guess ill give it a shot!
    why is it as soon as i unplug my phone it drops down to 99% wats up with that.
    07-16-2012 01:52 PM
    i hate doing the factory reset....but if it would help with this stupid battery draining....i guess ill give it a shot!
    why is it as soon as i unplug my phone it drops down to 99% wats up with that.
    It's always like that. It'll never be 100% with no charger attached. My batter was bad after I updated to ICS but I didn't want to do a factory reset, so, instead, i uninstalled apps I don't use anymore. Now my battery is awesome.
    07-16-2012 01:54 PM
    I updated just 2 days ago and have the same issue with my battery. I have done the hard reset thing as well and the OS is draining like a ! I contacted Sprint to see if they would share the GB rom so I could go downgrade and no such luck! They suck! The first said there were no issues and I was the first to conplain about it. Hard to believe huh? Well I told them to just do a quick Google search and see for them-selves and so they come up with this bull that Samsung is working on a fix as we speak! What the F? That was fast and full of too! It sounds like its back to carrying a charger everywhere you go because this is the end of the Galaxy S2 battery life.

I'll stay posted to see if there are fixes posted but I won't hold my breath! Maybe getn the official GB rom and go back to it. If someone knows where to get it, post it!

Update: Like I said yesterday, I had already completed a hard reset but no help. So lastnight I decided to let the damn thing run completely down to 4% and then shut off the phone and plugged it in to charge over night. I have had it on for about 10 hours and i've used only about 17% of my battery. Now that is with me doing very little with it but still that is 3-4 times better than before this procedure. So try it, you have nothing to lose! The only other options are to wait for Sprint or who ever your carrier is to release a fix! That's not happening any time soon or down grade to GB, go here if you have the SPH-D710 from sprint, if not you might snoop around there and find the right rom for your phone. Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710: Flashing stock Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread EL29 firmware
    07-16-2012 11:50 PM
    I went through 3 batteries yesterday, inside my house all day with WiFi and a Airave. Hard reset a couple days ago, but so far it's been no help.

Before with GB, I would plug my phone in at night with 30% battery left. Now it's at 30% by noon.
    07-17-2012 09:53 AM
    My battery life actually got a lot better after the update. Right now it's been 23 hours since I unplugged from the charger and I have 60% left. And this is the stock battery under regular use.
    07-17-2012 09:09 PM
    My battery life actually got a lot better after the update. Right now it's been 23 hours since I unplugged from the charger and I have 60% left. And this is the stock battery under regular use.
    Click to view quoted image
    What are you doing to get that?

07-17-2012 09:40 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD