07-23-2012 02:06 PM
50 12
tools
    Battery performance has been catastrophically worse. At work, I was averaging about 10% per hour battery drain; now it's nearly 20%. Last night, it fell from 45% to 15% in less than 90 minutes and this morning, it went from 15% to 5% in about five minutes.

Wifi is already set to Never and I'm noticing that when I turn on the screen, it's on 3G and takes 5-10 seconds for the wifi to kick in, IF it kicks in. Several times already I've had to toggle wifi off and on to get it to connect. It says the router is out of range when it's in the next freaking room! I NEVER had this problem with EL29.

Doing a factory wipe to fix this really strikes me as unacceptable, especially since I've got a ton of customized ringtones and alert sounds that are a PITMFA to recreate, like I had to when switching from my OG EVO to the E4GT last October.
    07-14-2012 11:44 PM
    I've seen my battery go from 99% to 78% in less than a hour of usage. That's about double the drain I used to get.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-15-2012 12:48 AM
    It's hard for me to tell off hand since I've been at comic-con all day, but so far it seems significantly worse. I did the manual update this morning and had a really weird experience. I started off at about 80% by the time I got ICS installed. An hour or so later I was already had 50% with moderate use. I was getting a lot of lag and problems so I restarted my phone an hour or so later and suddenly my battery life went down to around 15% and lasted another hour or so. My second battery drained in about 5 hours after very little use. Good thing I have 3 batteries cause this is getting pretty ridiculous. Granted I get very crappy reception inside the convention center, so that's probably not helping either.

I may have to try that factory reset trick, but I still haven't figured out where the new ICS app data backup is. Anyone know how to do this?
    07-15-2012 01:28 AM
    Well, I did the manual update yesterday, and so far, the battery life is about the exact same as it was before I updated. Guess I got lucky.
    07-15-2012 12:10 PM
    well after a couple of days using it the battery life is actually a little better than before. don't wanna do a factory reset although many said it would help with the battery performance. I'm happy the way it is right now
    07-15-2012 01:38 PM
    Significantly better. I got 12 more hours of use after the update.
    07-15-2012 05:15 PM
    Factory reset......to the rescue. Zzzzzooooooooommmmmm.....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Zoom is right! Factory reset was done yesterday and the battery life is back to what it was on GB, which is to say very good!

07-16-2012 12:48 AM
    My battery is draining faster even after the factory reset. What to do?!?!?!?!?!
    07-16-2012 09:33 AM
    After a couple of days on ICS, I think the issue with battery life is related to the number of apps running in the background. For some reason ICS seems to have increased background app activity. This is probably the result of apps being designed to take advantage of new ICS functionality. I think I'm being significantly impacted because I have a large number of apps. I'm going through and deleting any unnecessary apps and changing background related settings on others. Seems to be working.

I could do a factory reset but I think this is easier than redoing all of my settings on all of my apps after a reset. We'll see.

07-16-2012 09:47 AM
    Much worse. Unplugged charger at 5 AM, went back to sleep until 10 AM, so 5 hours of idle. Went from 100% to 73%

Sent from my Samsung GS2 E4GT via Tapatalk 2.
    07-16-2012 10:51 AM
    Much worse. Unplugged charger at 5 AM, went back to sleep until 10 AM, so 5 hours of idle. Went from 100% to 73%

Sent from my Samsung GS2 E4GT via Tapatalk 2.
    Were you connected to wifi during that time?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    07-16-2012 11:56 AM
    Okay. So, first night, fully charged, my battery went to 50% when I woke up. This is from doing nothing after charging it. So, the next day, I uninstalled a whole bunch of apps that I don't use anymore. I did the same thing before I went to sleep, charging my battery to 99%. When I woke up this morning, my battery was at 93%. I went from losing 50% in one night to only losing 7% in one night. Each night was 9 hours.
    07-16-2012 01:48 PM
    Okay. So, first night, fully charged, my battery went to 50% when I woke up. This is from doing nothing after charging it. So, the next day, I uninstalled a whole bunch of apps that I don't use anymore. I did the same thing before I went to sleep, charging my battery to 99%. When I woke up this morning, my battery was at 93%. I went from losing 50% in one night to only losing 7% in one night. Each night was 9 hours.
    I could see that working if the apps you deleted were all previously running processes. But if they were just sitting there not running then I can't see how they'd have any effect on the battery. Maybe it was a coincidence and the battery just needed to cycle a couple of times?
    07-16-2012 01:59 PM
    I could see that working if the apps you deleted were all previously running processes. But if they were just sitting there not running then I can't see how they'd have any effect on the battery. Maybe it was a coincidence and the battery just needed to cycle a couple of times?
    Yeah, it could have been that it needed to cycle a couple of time and it was a coincidence, but I'll take it anyway. I deleted like 50 apps out of about 130 apps.
    07-16-2012 02:03 PM
    I'm currently cycling mine but if that doesn't work I'll try your deleting trick
    07-16-2012 02:12 PM
    You would be surprised at how many apps are running background processes. Kill any apps you don't need and you should see an improvement.

07-16-2012 02:15 PM
    You would be surprised at how many apps are running background processes. Kill any apps you don't need and you should see an improvement.

That was the first thing I tried when I noticed a higher battery drain after the update, although there shouldn't have been too many more running than there were in GB.
    07-16-2012 02:23 PM
    I've had ICS for a few days. I did the update manually, by using a pre-rooted FF18 install from XDA. I did the version that resets everything, so "do a factory reset" doesn't apply to me. (I DID, however, restore the user data for two apps: ConnectBot and Google Authenticator. All other apps were restored without their data.)

My battery life is, to be frank, terrible. I drop 1% every 3 minutes when the screen is on. (It is set to the lowest brightness.) It drains much less when the screen is off, but a phone without a screen is kind of hard to use. If I don't get a fix for this pretty soon, I'll have to re-ODIN back to Gingerbread and restore my old nandroid to get Blazer 4.1 back.
    07-19-2012 04:21 PM
    Worse
    07-19-2012 05:50 PM
    After another couple of days now my battery can last up to 40 hours with light use and 30 hours with regular use.
    07-19-2012 08:26 PM
    WORSE

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    07-19-2012 08:34 PM
    Had my battery charged since noon and I'm still at 77%.... I think that is pretty good

07-19-2012 08:39 PM
    Installed the update last night, and went completely through the battery in 8 hours today (on light use), which is frankly, only a little worse than I was getting on GB. Disabled data roaming and it seems to have slowed the drain down somewhat. Have now gone 2 hours and only down 8%. Will see how it goes tomorrow before I do the factory reset...

Edit: Nope - down 17% in two hours this morning with about 10 mins of actual use.
    07-19-2012 08:42 PM
    Originally, I wasn't sure if it was better or worse as I hadn't time to check it. But after the weekend, I can definitly say it is worse. I am using a Sedio 3200mah battery first of all, and after 24hours, I am down to 40%. Thats 1920mah used up in 24 hours! 80mah/hr, 1.33mah/min. Before the upgrade, I could go 24 hours on the stock 1800 mah battery and be down to 25%/30%...now, NO WAY.
    07-23-2012 07:19 AM
    After I did the manual update my battery life took a noticeable hit, but several days on it seems to have stabilized. Android OS is still higher than it should be, but I'm close to where I was before the update and that's without uninstalling any apps (I have nearly 200!). Guess I'm one of the lucky few.
    Uglyfido likes this.
    07-23-2012 02:06 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD