[Guide][New User] EL29 to FF18 User Guide

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Noobs] EL29 to FF18 User Guide

I've done all as suggested and I'm sorry but the ICS sucks a$$ right now. I'm not happy. My GPS is still a pile of garbage, and bluetooth is terrible as well. Facebook and certain apps are only hogs if you don't set them up correctly. I turn off all notifications so it's not checking with it every 5 min. SO that is not an issue. It appears that the weather.com app is checking my location every 5 sec and trying to use the GPS without success. Think I will ditch it for now, but the app is way better than stupid accuweather.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've done all as suggested and I'm sorry but the ICS sucks a$$ right now. I'm not happy. My GPS is still a pile of garbage, and bluetooth is terrible as well. Facebook and certain apps are only hogs if you don't set them up correctly. I turn off all notifications so it's not checking with it every 5 min. SO that is not an issue. It appears that the weather.com app is checking my location every 5 sec and trying to use the GPS without success. Think I will ditch it for now, but the app is way better than stupid accuweather.

I am enjoying ICS FF18 :thumbup::cool::beer:

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

I did a factory reset, but have a question, why does my Battery information show Android OS and Android system listed? One is using 16% and the other 9%. Is that normal?

uch34

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

i have some thoughts on what happened. I've explained some in more detail than needed for expert users since many ordinary people are looking for solutions to this issue.

1. When Sprint sent the OTA upgrade to ICS, the process did not clear the dalvik cache. This is the place where applications are compiled as a one time event. If the process had cleared the dalvik cache the reboot would have taken a lot longer than it did after the update. I believe the lagginess, the rapidly discharging battery, the nonfunctioning buttons etc are caused by the fact that executables compiled for Android 2.3.6 are now running in a ICS environment.

2. All the other "solutions" mentioned in many other threads "turning wifi on/off, uninstalling apps, removing widgets, charging battery" are all red herrings

3. Doing a factory reset of your phone clears and rebuilds the dalvik cache. I believe this recompiles the internal apps and processes into versions compatilble with the ICS update. Therefore this seems to solve the problem

4. There are two ways to clear the dalvik cache a) do a "factory reset" to the phone b) root the phone and clear the dalvik cache. Since the b) probably means reinstalling everything anyway, you are better off doing a) because doing b) for many non android expert people will result in a bricked phone

5. Corollary of 4 is that you are going to spend 6-8 hours reconfiguring your phone to the way it was, probably losing some data along the way

6. Sprint is solely responsible for not including clearing the dalvik cache and forcing a recompilation and repopulation of the dalvik cache as part of the OTA process.

7. I believe that this bug is going to affect everyone who updates to ICS until Sprint includes the processes I have mentioned in 6.

8. As for the people who have already been affected (which is everyone who updated), I hope Sprint pushes out a second update that clears the dalvik cache.

I am very disappointed that whoever was in charge of the ICS update @Sprint seems to not have done even basic beta testing.

Last edited:

niegowsj

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I haven't received the update yet but am preparing but am new to android (I had webos for a couple years). If I do the reset but do the mybackup first what do I lose? Someone asked about game progress or old texts or pictures/music.

Thanks

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

i have some thoughts on what happened. I've explained some in more detail than needed for expert users since many ordinary people are looking for solutions to this issue.

1. When Sprint sent the OTA upgrade to ICS, the process did not clear the dalvik cache. This is the place where applications are compiled as a one time event. If the process had cleared the dalvik cache the reboot would have taken a lot longer than it did after the update. I believe the lagginess, the rapidly discharging battery, the nonfunctioning buttons etc are caused by the fact that executables compiled for Android 2.3.6 are now running in a ICS environment.

2. All the other "solutions" mentioned in many other threads "turning wifi on/off, uninstalling apps, removing widgets, charging battery" are all red herrings

3. Doing a factory reset of your phone clears and rebuilds the dalvik cache. I believe this recompiles the internal apps and processes into versions compatilble with the ICS update. Therefore this seems to solve the problem

4. There are two ways to clear the dalvik cache a) do a "factory reset" to the phone b) root the phone and clear the dalvik cache. Since the b) probably means reinstalling everything anyway, you are better off doing a) because doing b) for many non android expert people will result in a bricked phone

5. Corollary of 4 is that you are going to spend 6-8 hours reconfiguring your phone to the way it was, probably losing some data along the way

6. Sprint is solely responsible for not including clearing the dalvik cache and forcing a recompilation and repopulation of the dalvik cache as part of the OTA process.

7. I believe that this bug is going to affect everyone who updates to ICS until Sprint includes the processes I have mentioned in 6.

8. As for the people who have already been affected (which is everyone who updated), I hope Sprint pushes out a second update that clears the dalvik cache.

I am very disappointed that whoever was in charge of the ICS update @Sprint seems to not have done even basic beta testing.

Nicely written and I totally agree. But even after spending the 6-8 hours, I'm still not happy. Bluetooth is a joke now. My phone actually crashed on me. I've never had it crash on me before.

Reactions: uch34

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I want to sincerely thank Dark Knight 2 for his excellent and encouraging post! This forum thread is the sole reason I decided to finally pull the trigger and update ICS, and I'm glad I did. Here is a summary of my experience...

Before doing the manual update on Friday, I first did a Factory Reset (including wiping USB storage). Then, after finalizing the ICS manual update, I did another full Factory Reset, before installing anything. After that, I began re-installing and re-configuring my ET4G.

It's now Sunday night and I have to say that I am EXTREMELY pleased and very pleasantly surprised how smooth the phone is performing and how well everything is working. Virtually all issues I was experiencing under GB have not revealed themselves as yet in ICS. Here are a few items have that have improved noticeably since my manual update...

- GPS getting instant position fix
- Android OS resource draw not occurring
- Battery life seems better
- WiFi performance seems better
- UI seems smoother, faster, better
- Much more!

In summary, I highly recommend CAREFULLY installing the manual ET4G ICS update, but ONLY if you're willing to take the time to do a FULL FACTORY RESET! As stated above, I actually reset twice, once before applying the update, then again after. I can't say for sure that the pre-Update reset made a difference (I personally think it did), but it certainly didn't hurt.

I hope this info helps those interested in proceeding. I was apprehensive to update after seeing all the negative info, but figured I'd give it a shot, and I'm VERY HAPPY that I did.

Good Luck!

crocostimpy

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

OK, so I went ahead and did the factory reset, and Holy Crap, What a Difference!!! I'm over 4 hours into my day, pretty typical usage pattern and my battery is sitting at 80%!!! I've never seen that before. Definitely worth the pain from the reset. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Dark_Knight2

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I went ahead and did the factory reset, and Holy Crap, What a Difference!!! I'm over 4 hours into my day, pretty typical usage pattern and my battery is sitting at 80%!!! I've never seen that before. Definitely worth the pain from the reset. Thanks for the advice.

See thats what ive been trying to tell everyone.

cenix

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

If I do a factory reset, are the apps & phone settings/preferences the only things I'll have to reconfigure? My main issues are the with the wifi sleeping & losing the connection (have to turn the wifi off then on again & it gets annoying where gingerbread never did that).

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
If I do a factory reset, are the apps & phone settings/preferences the only things I'll have to reconfigure? My main issues are the with the wifi sleeping & losing the connection (have to turn the wifi off then on again & it gets annoying where gingerbread never did that).

WiFi stays on for me at least :)

cenix

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Haven't yet, I'm on the verge though! I'll probably get around to it when I have several hours to spend reconfiguring things. :-X

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
What issues are you still having?

Won't pair with SYNC any more.
No Pandora on 3G. Only WiFi.
Battery usage, (I will see how it is after Lookout is uninstalled)
It's very slow to react sometimes.
The android OS is ALWAYS the first on the list of battery usage.
Even with me using Words with friends, facebook, drawsomething. But I turn all notifications off for all those apps. I consistantly get searching for GPS as well.
Phone will reboot for no reason. Today the battery went from 44% to 4%, after it locked up and came back on it's own. I let it sit, then plugged it in, about 30 min later it went back to 40%. Its just not stable. This phone used to be rock solid. Never a glitch. Now I can't trust it. Hate it! Wish I never would have taken the update.
I want my Mass USB storage device back.
Just not happy.
Sick of messing with it. SHould not have to do all this crap that I've had to do. No I'm not ready to drink the Kool Aide and buy an Iphone. I love droid, just a little upset.
:mad:

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Won't pair with SYNC any more.
No Pandora on 3G. Only WiFi.
Battery usage, (I will see how it is after Lookout is uninstalled)
It's very slow to react sometimes.
The android OS is ALWAYS the first on the list of battery usage.
Even with me using Words with friends, facebook, drawsomething. But I turn all notifications off for all those apps. I consistantly get searching for GPS as well.
Phone will reboot for no reason. Today the battery went from 44% to 4%, after it locked up and came back on it's own. I let it sit, then plugged it in, about 30 min later it went back to 40%. Its just not stable. This phone used to be rock solid. Never a glitch. Now I can't trust it. Hate it! Wish I never would have taken the update.
I want my Mass USB storage device back.
Just not happy.
Sick of messing with it. SHould not have to do all this crap that I've had to do. No I'm not ready to drink the Kool Aide and buy an Iphone. I love droid, just a little upset.
:mad:

My android os is at 5% :confused::what::confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt