ICS 4.0.4 this morning, lost USB Mass Storage??!!

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
After update, my PC did the found new device and reinstalled drivers. All is well. You may have to Uninstall then let computer reinstall new drivers. Good luck.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The other thing is you cannot do a lot of things with MTP. SInce there is no drive letter, you cannot use batch files, most programs that sync files, etc.

That is why I like USB Mass storage.

Jolsba

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
The other thing is you cannot do a lot of things with MTP. SInce there is no drive letter, you cannot use batch files, most programs that sync files, etc.

That is why I like USB Mass storage.

Before upgrading to ICS, I have been able to sync all my DocumentsToGo files flawlessly with the Mass Storage drive. With the unwise removal of the Mass Storage drive in the ICS, the DTG's desktop to phone sync capability has been rendered useless. I hope the DataViz support will release an ICS update of their DTG app. Alternatively, they should enable a bluetooth sync capability for the app.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
As of today, computer no longer recognizes my phone... therefore i too can no longer connect to my PC. Not sure what has happened because things where fine a few days ago. :(

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have found a good solution...at least for syncing my music. It works for all filetypes though. It is an app called SyncMe. Unlike many of the sync apps out there, this one does not require a app installed on your desktop (though you need to share the folder). It is also free.

You can schedule syncs or do them manually. You basically select a directory on the phone, one on the pc, and how you want it synced (update both, only the phone, only the pc). You can have multiple folders setup. It seems pretty fast.

Last edited:

jjmcgaffey

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, dj..ozone - that did it for me. I had the phone connected via mass storage (if you haven't found it yet, it's settings>more>USB and click the button to set up mass storage (for that particular time plugging in). This had been working for me, with this cable to this computer and port, after the ICS upgrade and after rooting said upgrade - and then it disappeared. So I went through all the steps to get the mass storage thing connected, and my USB utility on the computer (Zentimo) said that the phone was connected, but no drives showed up. When I looked in Device Manager, though, they were there, with even the drive letters I'd given them - and yellow triangles over them. I updated their drivers, choosing from the list (which didn't show up until I unchecked Show Compatible Software); picked the newest Samsung driver (which said it was MTP - all of them said MTP), and suddenly I had two drives with drive letters and full access again. Whew, and thanks again!

Pdor

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Okay, you should be able to use sfhub's Utility Program (called Auto Root Package but don't mind the name) to enable USB Mass storage on your stock ICS Touchwiz ROM.

Here's his post for reference: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash)

So here's what you would do. Go here and download sfhub's utility [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers. Enable USB Debugging on your phone, follow sfhub's instructions to load the utility and plug in your phone to your PC.

Then from the menu, you would select Option E, then the option to enable USB Mass Storage.

I've never done this myself, but I've used sfhub's configuration utility program many times for other things and it's excellent. It should work for you.

Let us know if you decide to try it!

I have the same issue (my Galaxy S2 doesn't see the USB pen drive connected via OTG)...
I tried this method but nothing changed....I still can't see any mass storage device when I connect them via OTG cable...

I have Win7 x64 and ICS 4.0.3 rooted.
Is there any other method to solve this problem?
Any market app?

Last edited:

ZookNookie

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Gosh, after all that and all I had to do was Uninstall from Device Manager and then reattach the usb and let it automatically reinstall and presto, all the sudden the options to connect my computer with my samsung s2 device all the sudden appeared. Downloading pictures now! Thank You!