07-20-2012 10:23 AM
26 12
tools
    Not to sound panicky, but suppose the 21st comes along and I still haven't received the ICS update. Can Sprint push it to my phone if I call customer service or take it to a store, or would this be a waste of time? Just wondering if that's an option, or would I be stuck doing the manual update.
    07-18-2012 08:01 AM
    If you want it manual update it. Its the same thing and its incredibly easy

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    07-18-2012 08:45 AM
    Just do a manual update. You don't need to wait for OTA. It's the exact same official update and it's not rooting so it doesn't void your warranty.
    07-18-2012 09:12 AM
    I have the update file sitting on my desktop at home ready to use, but after reading about all the issues people are having with the manual update, it concerned me. It seems like more than could be attributed to standard user error and that's why I've been waiting patiently for the OTA. However if it doesn't come by Saturday, I'll probably just give in and do it
    07-18-2012 09:56 AM
    I have the update file sitting on my desktop at home ready to use, but after reading about all the issues people are having with the manual update, it concerned me. It seems like more than could be attributed to standard user error and that's why I've been waiting patiently for the OTA. However if it doesn't come by Saturday, I'll probably just give in and do it
    Lmfao. That was the most noobish comment ive ever heard.

The OTA update and the OTA Manual update ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. MD5 is a 110% Perfect match. It noes not matter how you update whether its waiting for sprint to push it to ur device or you taking it and doinf it manually has no bearing on anything.
    TWC_SouthPhilly likes this.
    07-18-2012 10:10 AM
    Serious question, what's up with the 21st? Why is that date so special?
    TWC_SouthPhilly likes this.
    07-18-2012 10:10 AM
    Thanks Dark_Knight, this is my 3rd Android phone, my first two were rooted and I've flashed plenty of roms and updates so I'm familiar with the process. I'm also aware this is the exact same update being pushed out OTA. But that doesn't explain why so many people were having so many different problems upgrading manually.
    07-18-2012 10:31 AM
    I am also wondering if I dont get the update by the 21st what I should do I am not able to do the manual update since I dont have a computer at the moment, can anyone give me ideas.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums Thanks Android Central
    07-18-2012 12:21 PM
    I am also wondering if I dont get the update by the 21st what I should do I am not able to do the manual update since I dont have a computer at the moment, can anyone give me ideas.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums Thanks Android Central
    You dont need a computer to update manually. Lol.
    07-18-2012 12:23 PM
    You dont need a computer to update manually. Lol.
    Yes I do need a computer I tried to download the update directly to my phone and it won't download, sp I'm stuck with ota.

07-18-2012 12:28 PM
    Thanks Dark_Knight, this is my 3rd Android phone, my first two were rooted and I've flashed plenty of roms and updates so I'm familiar with the process. I'm also aware this is the exact same update being pushed out OTA. But that doesn't explain why so many people were having so many different problems upgrading manually.
    Numerious things are causing issues. First is users are insisting on not doing a full data wipe. Second issue is users who go head and wipe data insist on restoring apps and app data. They are defeating the purpose of the data removal. Third is rogue apps, lots of users who are having issues download apps from the market that are not from a respected source or they DL apps that are not fully compatible with Ice Cream Sandwich Update. At the end of the day its all user errors. I know what im doing so my device runs Flawlessly.
    07-18-2012 12:29 PM
    Numerious things are causing issues. First is users are insisting on not doing a full data wipe. Second issue is users who go head and wipe data insist on restoring apps and app data. They are defeating the purpose of the data removal. Third is rogue apps, lots of users who are having issues download apps from the market that are not from a respected source or they DL apps that are not fully compatible with Ice Cream Sandwich Update. At the end of the day its all user errors. I know what im doing so my device runs Flawlessly.
    That's good to know, because doing it manually may be my only choice.
    07-18-2012 01:06 PM
    I use a mac so i manually updated using only the phone.

07-18-2012 01:13 PM
    Very well said sir...

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip 10.1/4.1.1(jb)
    07-20-2012 12:43 AM
    all u have to do is bring ur phone in to sprint and they will update it for you. look on the main sprint page....they are slling this phone with 4.0 as a selling tool now.
    07-20-2012 01:43 AM
    the official was supposed to roll out from the 12th to the 20th.any sprint store or retailer will update ur phone free of charge if u are freaking out.
    07-20-2012 01:50 AM
    the official was supposed to roll out from the 12th to the 20th.any sprint store or retailer will update ur phone free of charge if u are freaking out.
    LOL, not freaking out, I went ahead and did the manual update. Don't know why I was hesitating, seemed like a lot of people were having trouble with it but it worked like a charm.
    07-20-2012 06:28 AM
    At this point, I feel like I am going to be the very last phone to get the update. :/

Should've done the manual update last week when it first rolled out.
    07-20-2012 07:48 AM
    At this point, I feel like I am going to be the very last phone to get the update. :/

Should've done the manual update last week when it first rolled out.
    You still can...
    07-20-2012 08:06 AM
    I still didnt get it. I hesitated with the manual deal, which i will end up doing anyway, because getting a new OS update is like getting a package you have coming to you in the mail. You know its out for delivery because you have the tracking number so anytime a truck drives by you run to the window, only to find out that its the garbage truck or fedex (f fedex) or a moving van. Each big truck that passes you get more and more upset until 7pm (the latest it could possibly come) UPS finally shows up. Well its 7pm (20th) Sprint and you STILL havent delivered my package. I guess ill have to do the work now. Ive paid you a ton of money over the 13 years ive been with you and you make ME do the work!!!!
    07-20-2012 08:47 AM
    Haven't gotten the update yet either, will probably have to do the manual update later tonight.
    07-20-2012 09:00 AM
    I still didnt get it. I hesitated with the manual deal, which i will end up doing anyway, because getting a new OS update is like getting a package you have coming to you in the mail. You know its out for delivery because you have the tracking number so anytime a truck drives by you run to the window, only to find out that its the garbage truck or fedex (f fedex) or a moving van. Each big truck that passes you get more and more upset until 7pm (the latest it could possibly come) UPS finally shows up. Well its 7pm (20th) Sprint and you STILL havent delivered my package. I guess ill have to do the work now. Ive paid you a ton of money over the 13 years ive been with you and you make ME do the work!!!!
    Yeah, but then you find out that the item inside the package is definitely not what you anticipated. The freakin thing is broke!

Don't count on this being a great update. I've used it for a while, tried to deal with all the bugs and changes the way ICS operates, and I was far from happy. I'll stay on Gingerbread until such time all the problems are resolved or I go to a different phone.
    07-20-2012 09:04 AM
    You still can...
    I'm not really looking to go out and get an external SD card just to apply an update.
    07-20-2012 09:37 AM
    I'm not really looking to go out and get an external SD card just to apply an update.
    I think the real question here is why dont you already have an sd card? 99.999999999999% of peeps have an sd card. And for good reason. What if you drop your device in water? You will lose all your pics and music and everything. It makes no sense why you dont have a 2GB micro sd card at least. You can go to officemax and get one for 7.99.
    07-20-2012 09:51 AM
    Google + backup all photos taken. Google account backs up all contacts, music is already there on your pc.
    byoung1989 likes this.
    07-20-2012 10:21 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD