Sprint is sending me a new phone since ICS screwed it up!

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I called and complained about my battery drain issue, and bluetooth problems. Told them how I did a factory reset etc. They said a factory reset is usually the last thing they try before sending a new phone. So if it's still using that much battery power we will send you a new one but it will have gingerbread on it. I said that's perfectly fine and I will not be taking the update when it trys to. He said a lot of his friends have turned down the update as well. I found it odd that they even have a pre recorded message on the system regarding no swype keyboard. Telling people how to reset it and fix the issue.
So if you are having issues with your ICS install even after a factory reset, I suggest you call. It didn't even take much effort. He offered it right off the bat. SO that makes me think this may be a know problem.

Last edited:

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint is sending me a new phone!

First I called from phone on sprint help basically #2 or whatever it links you to. Talked to one guy and he called me back on my landline work phone. He didn't even try much after all that I told him I did except for a PRL and firmware update, but I told him I've done it numorous times with no help, then he transfered me to advanced help. As far as he told me it's just the same phone. But I still have not recieved the text message confirmation of the new phone comeing yet. Hope this really happens.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I hope this solves the SYNC problem for you. Mine has stayed paired (even though had to do that funky thing to get it done). Not sure why yours couldn't. Then again maybe I held my head just right.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks atl10pnr. It should. I mean it's going to have gingerbread on it. But I'm starting to get worried because I have not recieved my confirmation text message. Does anyone know how long that usually takes? I talked to them at like 3pm eastern time.

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

They offered me a refurbished phone and even then I would have had to pay $35 for it. I got further with Samsung who would fix the phone and then replace it for me (I'm still under warranty).

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Phone had to be charged when I got home and now it is sitting at 12% again. This is terrible. Never have I had a battery life this terrible.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE! Looks like the idiot on friday never put in for a new phone. Just said he did. I called today and tech trys to tell me she needs me to go through a bunch of more diagnostics again, then at the end tells me she put all the notes in the file and I need to go to the store and have them look at phone, then autherize the new phone. Guy at store says I'm sorry I can't get to those notes and I don't see anything wrong with your phone. I said look at the battery life, Look at the operating system usage. I said, it won't pair with my SYNC systerm anymore. It won't play pandora. Look at the battery glitch today. I said feel how warm it is. Oh that's not even that hot. It's fine. So then he gets an attitude and tells me to go to wireless Toys and have them do a diagnostics on the phone. SO that is where the phone is now. They are probably going to do another factory reset.
On a side note, he said LOOKOUT App is not needed on these phones. Is that true?
I can see that I'll probably be rooting my phone in the near future. But who knows.
:mad:

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE! Looks like the idiot on friday never put in for a new phone. Just said he did. I called today and tech trys to tell me she needs me to go through a bunch of more diagnostics again, then at the end tells me she put all the notes in the file and I need to go to the store and have them look at phone, then autherize the new phone. Guy at store says I'm sorry I can't get to those notes and I don't see anything wrong with your phone. I said look at the battery life, Look at the operating system usage. I said, it won't pair with my SYNC systerm anymore. It won't play pandora. Look at the battery glitch today. I said feel how warm it is. Oh that's not even that hot. It's fine. So then he gets an attitude and tells me to go to wireless Toys and have them do a diagnostics on the phone. SO that is where the phone is now. They are probably going to do another factory reset.
On a side note, he said LOOKOUT App is not needed on these phones. Is that true?
I can see that I'll probably be rooting my phone in the near future. But who knows.
:mad:

Lookout is not needed on android devices. Google does a great job removing malware. In fact there is the source of your battery drain and heat. That app is very resource hungry. And it doesnt play well with ICS.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Lookout is not needed on android devices. Google does a great job removing malware. In fact there is the source of your battery drain and heat. That app is very resource hungry. And it doesnt play well with ICS.

Ok, with that said, I've left it off. It worked very well with GB. But at anyrate. Mobil Toys is getting me a new phone. This phone still doesn't work right. I had to pay $35 since I don't have insurance, and they told me to just tell Sprint to reimburse my account. I WILL get this reimbursed for the amount of crap I've went through. Can't wait till the woman calls me back tomorrow to see how satisfied I am. The thing I'm confused on is Mobil Toys told me there is a week back order on the phone. I asked if it was a new or refurb. He says, well there's not a lot of them out there yet, so it's going to be new. I didn't want to ask too many questions at this point, because I'm wondering if they are some how getting me a GSIII. They are calling this an early or advanced replacement or something like that. They tried doing the factory reset via the power button and volume up without any luck. Not sure why that didn't work. So they were as baffled as I was. Hence why they are getting me a replacement. I don't really care at this point how it's done, or if I don't even get the $35 back. I just want a normal phone again that I'm happy with. If for some reason this doesn't all work out, I"m going to WIPE this phone and go custom.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Just to update, even with Lookout taken off the phone, it's still just spinning it's wheels. 2 hours this morning, and I'm down to 80% of battery life. And the Android OS has used 80% of that life. I'm amazed the battery actually does not get hot, just the processor area of the phone.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, just picked up my refurb. Had to use my battery. But I don't care. I'm back to original GB and loving this phone all over again! Immediately after using it and installing my backups and doing all sorts of stuff to get it set up I went in and checked battery life just to see what my Android OS was using. Yep! Hardly anything! Way down the list around 10%. Phone doesn't get hot! On a side note, before I turned in old phone, and went into the data usage portion of settings, the android OS was the second on the list for my monthly data usage! That was just behind facebook. So if I wasn't on an unlimited plan, I'd be screwed very quickly with that phone. At anyrate, I'm happy to be back on gingerbread and have my USB mass storage device back. No more updates for me! I'm staying right here with GB!

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha!!!

Same here. Sprint sent me a brand new phone last week. This morning I wake up and guess what?

"Your phone is ready for a new system upgrade. Android 4.0.4"

Sprint you can keep your upgrade. My new phone is working great on GB. No Thank You!!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I went a step further lol. Went custom with venoms blu kuban ROM. My Barry (3800mah) lasts me two days on a charge with a good bit of usage. And it is 4.0.4 and has been rock solid. If it wasn't for this ROM, I'd be on GB as well! Glad to see you're happy though, even though just being a sprint customer makes you think bad dark things with maniacal laughter in the dark. Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Sprint...again....They are sending me a NEW (not Refurb) epic touch phone from the warehouse. No charge.

I asked if it will have GB or ICS she replied 'GB, this is a new phone from the warehouse'

I asked for email confirmation but all they gave me was order no. that I can track through
UPS/ 2 day air.
I will update once it is in my hands. update on this thread, not to ICS!!!
Persistence pays (I hope)

Mark

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000