ICS update battery drain SOLVED (sort of)

Did this work for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hapihakr

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

I'd like to know if this works for anyone else. Also, I was thinking that both Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker have setting that regulate their access to the antennas and it may be possible to tweak the settings to bring battery life into acceptable range. Didn't think much about it, because I don't really need these apps. Anyways, the above solution works for me. I did NOT do a factory reset and don't really want to; however, it is possible that a factory reset may/might resolve the battery drain problem.

mstenshi

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

I'd like to know if this works for anyone else. Also, I was thinking that both Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker have setting that regulate their access to the antennas and it may be possible to tweak the settings to bring battery life into acceptable range. Didn't think much about it, because I don't really need these apps. Anyways, the above solution works for me. I did NOT do a factory reset and don't really want to; however, it is possible that a factory reset may/might resolve the battery drain problem.

I thought the same with my battery issues, but I've used almost 60% of battery in 8 hours of very light use (no phone calls, screen on for a total of 30 mins max in that time) today, without wifi or 4G on. I appreciate the comments about Juice Defender - doing a factory reset removed that app from my phone, so I don't have that issue anymore. My issues seem to be related more to searching for signal than Wifi or 4G related. Yesterday, I spent the entire day connected to my home wifi and got excellent battery life, even using the phone quite a bit throughout the day. Today, switching off the wifi (none in range) and leaving 4G off, I'm having battery life issues, as noted above. Maybe the signal is too weak at my work, so it is constant disconnecting and searching for a signal?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante