07-24-2012 07:01 AM
52 123
tools
    I am actually going to take this to PM.
    Please do...
    07-23-2012 10:37 AM
    Dark Knight, how do you do this?

What are the benefits?

Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root
    07-23-2012 10:44 AM
    I have inside sources that work with tech support. All three have indeed confirmed the FF18 has been pulled and can not be done OTA until further notice. The manual update is still active for the moment. They are unaware of any plans to pull down the manual update.
    Thanks. I was hoping for an official statement. Either way, I'm not going to worry about it for now.
    07-23-2012 10:49 AM
    Dark Knight, how do you do this?

What are the benefits?

Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root
    The benefit is less apps running in the background. More RAM Available and less battery drain. For me at least.
    07-23-2012 10:49 AM
    Go into the "Settings" app then look for "applications".open it. Click on the top right tab that says "All" and it gives you a complete list of all available apps. Find the apps you want to disable. Click on the app of choice. Top right corner you will have the option to "disable". Press it. Then force close that app. Do it to all the apps and bloatware you want gone. Then reboot.
    07-23-2012 10:57 AM
    Are there any specific apps you are recommending we disable?
    07-23-2012 11:15 AM
    Are there any specific apps you are recommending we disable?
    Any apps you dont use. Some apps can not be disabled but most of them can be.
    07-23-2012 11:18 AM
    **please delete thread**

>>>nobody believes my statement to be true bout the ota being cancelled so i am closing it down due to possibilty of a flame war.
    dk....I hear your pain. I am on Sprints Advocacy board and I can tell you that you are correct in that Sprint has temporarily shut the OTA update down due to countless issues. And people will fight over things they have no knowledge about.
    patrao_n likes this.
    07-23-2012 11:31 AM
    dk....I hear your pain. I am on Sprints Advocacy board and I can tell you that you are correct in that Sprint has temporarily shut the OTA update down due to countless issues. And people will fight over things they have no knowledge about.
    Exactly. I really dont care. I just wanted to get the word out to all the users wanting for the OTA update. I am running the OTA without issue. Samsung should of added The Format "data" command line to the updater script and these "issues" wouldnt be a factor.
    Shadow1976 likes this.
    07-23-2012 11:52 AM
    Dark_Knight2

I tried to update my wife's phone last night. She is running stock. I've been putting off updating then she got sick of the reminder and told me to update. I hit system update, update Android, got a message that FF18 is ready to be downloaded and install. I click, get a little waiting circle, then it said your system is up to date. I knew the update didn't even start so I restart the phone thinking it's a glitch. When I went to update again, it said the software is up to date.

So you maybe on to something despite what everyone is saying here.

I am happily running Calkulin's GB rom and have no complaint so no hurry to fix it since it ain't broken.
    07-23-2012 12:04 PM
    Dark_Knight2

I tried to update my wife's phone last night. She is running stock. I've been putting off updating then she got sick of the reminder and told me to update. I hit system update, update Android, got a message that FF18 is ready to be downloaded and install. I click, get a little waiting circle, then it said your system is up to date. I knew the update didn't even start so I restart the phone thinking it's a glitch. When I went to update again, it said the software is up to date.

So you maybe on to something despite what everyone is saying here.

I am happily running Calkulin's GB rom and have no complaint so no hurry to fix it since it ain't broken.
    Ok so thats another conformation that the update has been pulled. Thanks for the info.
    07-23-2012 12:09 PM
    I also read another poster on XDA that has the exact same scenario happened to him. He put it off until last night and his update didn't even start and he is still on EL29 with no reminder for him to update. It said his software is up to date. Waiting to here similar story but I think you are right, OTA may have been canceled.
    07-23-2012 12:15 PM
    I also read another poster on XDA that has the exact same scenario happened to him. He put it off until last night and his update didn't even start and he is still on EL29 with no reminder for him to update. It said his software is up to date. Waiting to here similar story but I think you are right, OTA may have been canceled.
    Its has been cancelled but sense I have a "Reputation" in other forums as dtm_stretch put it and have been banned from other sites (I want site names cause ALL my accounts are ACTIVE AND CURRENT) then why would anyone believe me? :thumbup::rolleyes::beer:
    patrao_n likes this.
    07-23-2012 12:34 PM
    Exactly. I really dont care. I just wanted to get the word out to all the users wanting for the OTA update. I am running the OTA without issue. Samsung should of added The Format "data" command line to the updater script and these "issues" wouldnt be a factor.
    Well, I wouldn't say there aren't ANY issues. I followed your advise to the "T" and all went smooth as silk!
    BUT, my battery life is shorter than it should be . It's not a huge deal as I am puching a mouse all day and keep my phone plugged in, but after the weekend, I can definitly say it is worse.
    I am using a Sedio 3200mah battery first of all, and after 24hours, I am down to 40%. Thats 1920mah used up in 24 hours! 80mah/hr, 1.33mah/min.
    Before the upgrade, I could go 24 hours on the stock 1800 mah battery and be down to 20%/25%. And I am not a "power user" by any means. During that 24 hour period (this past Sunday), I made a few calls (10minutes on BT, 40min not on BT) had BT idle for about 30 min, WifI on for 30min, Played games for 20min. Idle the rest of the time.
    And talking with Sprint, there IS a battery life issue. The other stuff, I believe that a factory reset WILL cure. It did for me. Other than the battery life, the new OS is running SMOOTH!
    And yes, you are 100% correct....Sammy and Sprint should have included proper instructions to do a factory reset adn wipe all contents and apps. OR had the update do it automatically. That little fubar peeves me off.
    07-23-2012 12:52 PM
    Its has been cancelled but sense I have a "Reputation" in other forums as dtm_stretch put it and have been banned from other sites (I want site names cause ALL my accounts are ACTIVE AND CURRENT) then why would anyone believe me? :thumbup::rolleyes::beer:
    I have since deleted my accusation to allow you time to respond via pm, which you have not. Also, I am not doubting your factuality of information but the method in which you have presented it without sources and I would also not ask you to provide names or anything but to withhold information until you can provide hard evidence. This is not XDA.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
    07-23-2012 12:55 PM
    **please delete thread**

>>>nobody believes my statement to be true bout the ota being cancelled so i am closing it down due to possibilty of a flame war.
    i never said that i dont believe you...I WANT TO BELIEVE YOU!!!

it would benifit me and other users if you would provide your source thats all.

i see you posted that it came from inside sources.
    07-23-2012 12:59 PM
    Dude, I'm with you that most of these problems are fixable by a factory reset, and/or wiping cache and dalvik. But of course it's ridiculous to expect an average user to understand that, or want to learn how to do it. They shouldn't have to. It's another example of why people perceive Apple as "just working". Yeah, it's a dumbed down smart phone, but you don't have to deal with this kind of stuff!

As an aside, can anyone comment on exactly why this update was so great for our phone? Mine is running fine, but it's using almost twice the memory of gingerbread. This leads to a bit more UI lag then before. Isn't an OS update supposed to be LESS bloated and MORE optimized? Seems to me they dropped the ball
    07-23-2012 01:31 PM
    It's another example of why people perceive Apple as "[HL]just working[/HL]".
    AMEN
    07-23-2012 01:58 PM
    It did for me. Im running FF18 without any issues. Battery life is A+. Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root. I also went into settings....developer options and set my device to only allow 1 process to run in the background. Ive sent my screen brightness to 60% and forced 2D Hardware Acceleration in apps. I average 16 hours of super heavy use. 4.7 hours of screen on time and 50-60 mins of talk time. If most users sat down to figure stuff out and not throw a fit and whine like a 10 yr old girl going thru her first period then this ICS Update would have been a full success.
    The problem is that "most users" have no clue what the developer settings do and the documentation that comes with the phone does a lousy job of explaining these things.

This is the first time that i've heard about changing any of the developer settings, since I had/have no idea what these things do. I've reset some of them and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips for sure!!
    07-23-2012 02:26 PM
    I have since deleted my accusation to allow you time to respond via pm, which you have not. Also, I am not doubting your factuality of information but the method in which you have presented it without sources and I would also not ask you to provide names or anything but to withhold information until you can provide hard evidence. This is not XDA.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
    No pms in my inbox so far.....still waiting
    07-23-2012 02:27 PM
    The problem is that "most users" have no clue what the developer settings do and the documentation that comes with the phone does a lousy job of explaining these things.

This is the first time that i've heard about changing any of the developer settings, since I had/have no idea what these things do. I've reset some of them and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips for sure!!
    Thats why android has a huge developer community.
    07-23-2012 02:28 PM
    That's interesting. On Saturday, my wife got the notification that an update was available (she's actually on AT&T with a Skyrocket).. so she kept ignoring the update notification until it finally said that she could only postpone it 3 times then it would automatically update after 8 hours. So we went ahead and accepted the update, but for some reason, could not complete since it said the servers were busy. Not sure if she was able to complete the update as she's out of town at the moment.
    07-23-2012 02:30 PM
    :-)

So, to get all the skinny on what all the different apps/processes do, me, as a "normal" user, would have to search forums like this (not that I dont mind- it's how I learn stuff).. but your average user would have no clue.
    07-23-2012 02:37 PM
    :-)

So, to get all the skinny on what all the different apps/processes do, me, as a "normal" user, would have to search forums like this (not that I dont mind- it's how I learn stuff).. but your average user would have no clue.
    Yes google didnt make the update new user friendly at all.
    patrao_n likes this.
    07-23-2012 05:28 PM
    No doubt, and you guys do great work and i appreciate the hell out of it... I love Android and hope I didn't sound otherwise. I just mean this is the kind of stuff Google-manufacturers-Carries are going to have to improve on as Android gets even more mainstream, because average users sure don't want to have to do it themselves!

At the risk of totally hijacking this thread (maybe a moot point now lol) can you expand on what 2D acceleration in apps does, and any potential downsides? Thanks!
    07-23-2012 06:58 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD