Please delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
**please delete thread**

>>>nobody believes my statement to be true bout the ota being cancelled so i am closing it down due to possibilty of a flame war.

Last edited:

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: [update] ota update cancelled

Do you think a factory reset will fix the problem?? :p

A factory reset will do JACK!!!

I did a factory reset on my phone after Ice Crap Sandwich and my G4 is still useless!

Sprint and Samsung are a bunch of morons for deploying this train wreck!

I called Sprint today to pretty much complain about this piss poor ICS upgrade and the tech on the phone was another MORON!

He told me that this is the 1st time he has heard of any issues with the ICS update. I was like, seriously...you're kidding right? He said no. I told him to do a google search on this this ICS update for Sprint and you'll see this has caused NOTHING but problems to 99% of the people who got it.

I told him I have done a factory reset and started from scratch, pulled the battery and yet, my G4 went from working to NOT working. It shows that it connects, but surfing is pretty much not working, I can't even run speed test.

I mentioned all the above to this moron I mean Sprint Tech\Rep and he said take it to a Sprint store, they'll fix it there. He said that he will give me a $10 refund due to my trouble with the ICS upgrade.

I also mentioned to him, that I'm paying for a service that I'm not getting. He told me that I just have to wait it out, until Samsung comes out with a patch for the issues people are having with ICS after the update.

This guy was dumber than dumb! Piss poor customer service!

I hate Sprint and I hate Samsung for deploying this crap and Sprint playing dumb like they don't know anything about issues people are having.

MORONS!

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

It did for me. Im running FF18 without any issues. Battery life is A+. Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root. I also went into settings....developer options and set my device to only allow 1 process to run in the background. Ive sent my screen brightness to 60% and forced 2D Hardware Acceleration in apps. I average 16 hours of super heavy use. 4.7 hours of screen on time and 50-60 mins of talk time. If most users sat down to figure stuff out and not throw a fit and whine like a 10 yr old girl going thru her first period then this ICS Update would have been a full success.

Reactions: anon(14860)

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It did for me. Im running FF18 without any issues. Battery life is A+. Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root. I also went into settings....developer options and set my device to only allow 1 process to run in the background. Ive sent my screen brightness to 60% and forced 2D Hardware Acceleration in apps. I average 16 hours of super heavy use. 4.7 hours of screen on time and 50-60 mins of talk time. If most users sat down to figure stuff out and not throw a fit and whine like a 10 yr old girl going thru her first period then this ICS Update would have been a full success.

Are you using Wifi while you are getting good battery life?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Attention ALL ET4G Users: SPRINT AND SAMSUNG HAVE DECIDED TO CANCEL THE OTA ICS UPDATE DUE TO EXTREMELY LARGE AMOUNT OF USERS REPORTING ISSUES. THE UPDATE HAS BEEN CANCELLED. NO TIME FRAME HAS BEEN GIVEN BY SAMMY OR SPRINT TO CONTINUE THE OTA ROLLOUT.

Is there an official statement?

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Attention ALL ET4G Users: SPRINT AND SAMSUNG HAVE DECIDED TO CANCEL THE OTA ICS UPDATE DUE TO EXTREMELY LARGE AMOUNT OF USERS REPORTING ISSUES. THE UPDATE HAS BEEN CANCELLED. NO TIME FRAME HAS BEEN GIVEN BY SAMMY OR SPRINT TO CONTINUE THE OTA ROLLOUT.

Is there an official statement?

this is exactly what i want to know. ive searched google for it, but nothing.

what is your source???

elport

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
When you go back to el29 make sure to wipe all data or you will pay.

[Google and Calender be messages won't stop popping up]

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Before doing the manual update on Friday, I first did a Factory Reset (including wiping USB storage). Then, after finalizing the ICS manual update, I did another full Factory Reset, before installing anything. After that, I began re-installing and re-configuring my ET4G.

It's now Sunday night and I have to say that I am EXTREMELY pleased and very pleasantly surprised how smooth the phone is performing and how well everything is working. Virtually all issues I was experiencing under GB have not revealed themselves as yet in ICS. Here are a few items have that have improved noticeably since my manual update...

- GPS getting instants position fix
- Android OS resource draw not occurring
- Battery life seems better
- WiFi performance seems better
- UI seems smoother, faster, better
- Much more!

In summary, I highly recommend CAREFULLY installing the manual ET4G ICS update, but ONLY if you're willing to take the time to do a FULL FACTORY RESET! As stated above, I actually reset twice, once before applying the update, then again after. I can't say for sure that the pre-Update reset made a difference (I personally think it did), but it certainly didn't hurt.

I hope this info helps those interested in proceeding. I was apprehensive to update after seeing all the negative info, but figured I'd give it a shot, and I'm VERY HAPPY that I did.

Good Luck!

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Seems suspicious! I can find any info on a ota stop either. That would be all over Engadget for starters. So far no major issue with 2 updates in our house. How can so many people have these issues?? But then again, I see people screw up their pc's like crazy too. lol

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

If this is true it reminds me of the GB update they did for the LG Optimus phone....it was so messed up that they did pull the OTA for it....luckily for me I had rooted to Gingersnap....but then my phone was stolen from me.....so far ICS works ok other than it calling people from my contact list at random....it could be from my SGII being in my pocket....

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

I never received it so maybe they did recall it, I was going to call/go to a Sprint store today and let them install it I guess then I they will tell if it's been stopped or not

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

A factory reset will do JACK!!!

I did a factory reset on my phone after Ice Crap Sandwich and my G4 is still useless!

Sprint and Samsung are a bunch of morons for deploying this train wreck!

I called Sprint today to pretty much complain about this piss poor ICS upgrade and the tech on the phone was another MORON!

He told me that this is the 1st time he has heard of any issues with the ICS update. I was like, seriously...you're kidding right? He said no. I told him to do a google search on this this ICS update for Sprint and you'll see this has caused NOTHING but problems to 99% of the people who got it.

I told him I have done a factory reset and started from scratch, pulled the battery and yet, my G4 went from working to NOT working. It shows that it connects, but surfing is pretty much not working, I can't even run speed test.

I mentioned all the above to this moron I mean Sprint Tech\Rep and he said take it to a Sprint store, they'll fix it there. He said that he will give me a $10 refund due to my trouble with the ICS upgrade.

I also mentioned to him, that I'm paying for a service that I'm not getting. He told me that I just have to wait it out, until Samsung comes out with a patch for the issues people are having with ICS after the update.

This guy was dumber than dumb! Piss poor customer service!

I hate Sprint and I hate Samsung for deploying this crap and Sprint playing dumb like they don't know anything about issues people are having.

MORONS!

They were very polite to me, and immediatly offered me a new phone. You may want to call back again. I can't wait to get a new phone with gingerbread back on it.
Also, when you call back, if they try and say they've never heard of any issues, ask, then why do you have a recorded message on how to fix the loss of the swype keyboard.

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

This may be referencing something I posted here http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...4g-touch/192664-still-no-ota.html#post1994788 which in turn references a thread here Sprint Community: 7/12 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) - FF18

However suspend and cancel are two very different terms. I also tried to qualify what I wrote that it was based on hearsay. If the OP has some official information, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair