Please delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [update] ota update cancelled

More info:

Posts in this thread indicate that it has not been pulled.
Sprint Community: ICS update pulled by sprint.

Post here says it has. Due to the use of CAPS, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP and this poster are the same. That may be his source.
Sprint Community: AS OF JULY 19TH SPRINT SHUT DOWN THE ICS UPDATE!

And finally, the link to the OTA file is still alive at http://android.clients.google.com/p...bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip
This tells me the file itself hasn't been pulled. I would think suspending the update would have included blocking access to the file.

Without an official word from Sprint saying it has been suspended, I'm going to relax until the end of the month before I worry about an OTA update.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtm_stretch

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
More info:

Posts in this thread indicate that it has not been pulled.
Sprint Community: ICS update pulled by sprint.

Post here says it has. Due to the use of CAPS, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP and this poster are the same. That may be his source.
Sprint Community: AS OF JULY 19TH SPRINT SHUT DOWN THE ICS UPDATE!

And finally, the link to the OTA file is still alive at http://android.clients.google.com/p...bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip
This tells me the file itself hasn't been pulled. I would think suspending the update would have included blocking access to the file.

Without an official word from Sprint saying it has been suspended, I'm going to relax until the end of the month before I worry about an OTA update.

I have inside sources that work with tech support. All three have indeed confirmed the FF18 has been pulled and can not be done OTA until further notice. The manual update is still active for the moment. They are unaware of any plans to pull down the manual update.

Everyone can believe what they want. I dont really care. As for my "Sources" do want there full names? And maybe a Employee number? Sure Ill get right on that :rolleyes:

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have yet to see any source on this. I am calling BS. Plus Dark_Knight **cough** reactivedisorder** has a reputation that precedes him and has been banned from other android communities before.

I have a reputation? Where? What communties have I been banned at previously? My xda account is current. Sdx account is current. My Droid Forums account is current. And my android central is current. And who is reactive disorder? Enlighten me cause I dont know who you are.

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

the average phone user should not have to go thru all this...first of they have no idea how to do the stuff you are talking about...we are different...the people on this forum are weirdo phone geeks who enjoy figuring out these issues....please dont assume everyone is like us...

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I have a reputation? Where? What communties have I been banned at previously? My xda account is current. Sdx account is current. My Droid Forums account is current. And my android central is current. And who is reactive disorder? Enlighten me cause I dont know who you are.

I am actually going to take this to PM.

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

Dark Knight, how do you do this?

What are the benefits?

Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

I have inside sources that work with tech support. All three have indeed confirmed the FF18 has been pulled and can not be done OTA until further notice. The manual update is still active for the moment. They are unaware of any plans to pull down the manual update.

Thanks. I was hoping for an official statement. Either way, I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Dark Knight, how do you do this?

What are the benefits?

Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root

The benefit is less apps running in the background. More RAM Available and less battery drain. For me at least. :)

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Go into the "Settings" app then look for "applications".open it. Click on the top right tab that says "All" and it gives you a complete list of all available apps. Find the apps you want to disable. Click on the app of choice. Top right corner you will have the option to "disable". Press it. Then force close that app. Do it to all the apps and bloatware you want gone. Then reboot.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
**please delete thread**

>>>nobody believes my statement to be true bout the ota being cancelled so i am closing it down due to possibilty of a flame war.

dk....I hear your pain. I am on Sprints Advocacy board and I can tell you that you are correct in that Sprint has temporarily shut the OTA update down due to countless issues. And people will fight over things they have no knowledge about.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
dk....I hear your pain. I am on Sprints Advocacy board and I can tell you that you are correct in that Sprint has temporarily shut the OTA update down due to countless issues. And people will fight over things they have no knowledge about.

Exactly. I really dont care. I just wanted to get the word out to all the users wanting for the OTA update. I am running the OTA without issue. Samsung should of added The Format "data" command line to the updater script and these "issues" wouldnt be a factor.

Reactions: Shadow1976

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Dark_Knight2

I tried to update my wife's phone last night. She is running stock. I've been putting off updating then she got sick of the reminder and told me to update. I hit system update, update Android, got a message that FF18 is ready to be downloaded and install. I click, get a little waiting circle, then it said your system is up to date. I knew the update didn't even start so I restart the phone thinking it's a glitch. When I went to update again, it said the software is up to date.

So you maybe on to something despite what everyone is saying here.

I am happily running Calkulin's GB rom and have no complaint so no hurry to fix it since it ain't broken.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Dark_Knight2

I tried to update my wife's phone last night. She is running stock. I've been putting off updating then she got sick of the reminder and told me to update. I hit system update, update Android, got a message that FF18 is ready to be downloaded and install. I click, get a little waiting circle, then it said your system is up to date. I knew the update didn't even start so I restart the phone thinking it's a glitch. When I went to update again, it said the software is up to date.

So you maybe on to something despite what everyone is saying here.

I am happily running Calkulin's GB rom and have no complaint so no hurry to fix it since it ain't broken.

Ok so thats another conformation that the update has been pulled. Thanks for the info.

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I also read another poster on XDA that has the exact same scenario happened to him. He put it off until last night and his update didn't even start and he is still on EL29 with no reminder for him to update. It said his software is up to date. Waiting to here similar story but I think you are right, OTA may have been canceled.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I also read another poster on XDA that has the exact same scenario happened to him. He put it off until last night and his update didn't even start and he is still on EL29 with no reminder for him to update. It said his software is up to date. Waiting to here similar story but I think you are right, OTA may have been canceled.

Its has been cancelled but sense I have a "Reputation" in other forums as dtm_stretch put it and have been banned from other sites (I want site names cause ALL my accounts are ACTIVE AND CURRENT) then why would anyone believe me? :thumbup::rolleyes::beer:

Reactions: patrao_n

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. I really dont care. I just wanted to get the word out to all the users wanting for the OTA update. I am running the OTA without issue. Samsung should of added The Format "data" command line to the updater script and these "issues" wouldnt be a factor.

Well, I wouldn't say there aren't ANY issues. I followed your advise to the "T" and all went smooth as silk! :cool:
BUT, my battery life is shorter than it should be :eek:. It's not a huge deal as I am puching a mouse all day and keep my phone plugged in, but after the weekend, I can definitly say it is worse.
I am using a Sedio 3200mah battery first of all, and after 24hours, I am down to 40%. Thats 1920mah used up in 24 hours! 80mah/hr, 1.33mah/min.
Before the upgrade, I could go 24 hours on the stock 1800 mah battery and be down to 20%/25%. And I am not a "power user" by any means. During that 24 hour period (this past Sunday), I made a few calls (10minutes on BT, 40min not on BT) had BT idle for about 30 min, WifI on for 30min, Played games for 20min. Idle the rest of the time.
And talking with Sprint, there IS a battery life issue. The other stuff, I believe that a factory reset WILL cure. It did for me. Other than the battery life, the new OS is running SMOOTH!
And yes, you are 100% correct....Sammy and Sprint should have included proper instructions to do a factory reset adn wipe all contents and apps. OR had the update do it automatically. That little fubar peeves me off. :mad:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Its has been cancelled but sense I have a "Reputation" in other forums as dtm_stretch put it and have been banned from other sites (I want site names cause ALL my accounts are ACTIVE AND CURRENT) then why would anyone believe me? :thumbup::rolleyes::beer:

I have since deleted my accusation to allow you time to respond via pm, which you have not. Also, I am not doubting your factuality of information but the method in which you have presented it without sources and I would also not ask you to provide names or anything but to withhold information until you can provide hard evidence. This is not XDA.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol