So I installed the ICS update manually Friday and I'm loving it. It's better in everyway compared to Gingerbread for me except for that I CAN'T FIND MY STUFF. As in "my stuff", I'm refering to the disappearance of my "usbStorage". The folder itself is still there, but I've used 3 file managers (AndroZIP, Astro, and My Files) and they all say the folder is empty. BUT, when I go through settings and click on "Miscellaneous Files", which is under the 'usbStorage' heading, and I see EVERY SINGLE file that I have in there. Yes, I do have usbDebugging "checked " in 'Dev Options', and it is irrelevant. I view on my pc when the phone is plugged and that also says the folder,'usbStorage', is empty.
    I have a lot of work in there that I need for school (which is in 2 weeks) and there are tons of us here on the forums, so I think SOMEONE will know the fix for my issue. Totally serious, any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Just tell me what to do!
    07-22-2012 11:48 PM
    Did you check the box to delete those files when you did the manual update?
    07-23-2012 09:05 AM
    Are the files on the internal memory or external SD card?
    07-23-2012 09:32 AM
    Files are under "mnt/sdcard/usbStorage". Nothing was checked off to be deleted when I updated. The issue isn't the files are "gone" literally, it's that they are inaccessable, for whatever reason, and therefore displayed as "No Files Found".
    07-23-2012 01:07 PM
    07-23-2012 02:28 PM
    To that I say, I'm already rooted and (forgive my ignorance) am unsure of what you expect me to do with that link. I read the FAQ, which has a theoretical solution, but I have no means to access it (irony of my persistent lack of "access" to things). I see several acronym files. I then clicked "CWM/ODIN MDM [EG30...FF18]" and low and behold, more files with hell I know what to do with. Help me out?
    07-23-2012 02:51 PM
    If you have root, try using something like this:

Alt Mounter Simulates USB Mass Storage Back on Ice Cream Sandwich – xda-developers

That will allow you to mount the USB storage as mass storage to your PC like Gingerbread. See if those files are accessible from the desktop.
    07-23-2012 03:42 PM
    To the above I say,"thank you", but my 'usbStorage' is still showing empty........ Thanks for all the help guys, but I'm on the brink of losing faith in this tech. Here's a screen: 1) what my comp is showing 2) what my phone is showing
    07-23-2012 07:00 PM
    Did you create a folder named usbstorage? Have you tried doing a windows search on the root of the storage directory in windows for *. Mp3?
    07-23-2012 07:09 PM
    My guess is you didn't remount the drive after you updated.
    07-23-2012 07:24 PM
    @Cobra: I've done all that and everything is blank.
    @draco: well how do I do that? If you see the above post I've used Alt Mount and nothing happens
    07-23-2012 08:42 PM
    Hi Steve,

Sorry, I was in a real hurry earlier when I posted that link. If it goes where I think it does, it talks a bit about how they changed USB storage in ICS, and why it won't work the same for all computers. One of the quickest things to try might be plugging in to a different machine... not all computers are going to recognize the MTP protocol they're using now.

If you're rooted, you'd be able to download the "Auto-root" package from the link at the bottom of the post I linked, and use that utility to change your phone back to the regular USB storage mode. It's one of the first things I did after installing ICS, it works good.

I don't think it's worth rooting just for that though (well, maybe it is to you). But unless something's corrupted, you should eventually find a computer that can read your files. Good luck!
    07-23-2012 09:44 PM
    Ok, so I'm putting the phone down before I destroy it. I can view the contents of my "usbStorage" on my PC, which is a great improvement, but I'm still getting "No files" when I try and search it ON THE PHONE. If you care to lend me a fix, post it. I'm done for the day. Thanks so much for getting me this far. At least my work is safe.
    07-24-2012 12:05 AM
    Ok I was having trouble with my computer recognizing the files on my phone...this is what I did to allow my computer (windows 7) to see the files on my phone:

connect the phone thru usb
    goto start
    type device manager
    go to Device Manager in windows 7
    Look in Portable Devices for SPH-D710
    Click SPH-D710
    Go to Driver
    Click Update Driver
    Click Browse my computer for driver software
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Click SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device
    Click Next
    That did the trick for me!

good luck with getting your files! The good thing is you know that they are there!
    07-24-2012 12:31 AM
    At this point, your best bet seems to be to back up your files to PC and do a factory reset. This will clear whatever bug is causing your problem.
    07-24-2012 06:35 AM
    I heard a factory reset on a SPH-D710 that has ICS gives a brick......... Oh and @dj.....ozone that didn't really change anything
    07-24-2012 06:20 PM
    You can factory reset ICS on the E4GT just fine. It will not brick it.
    07-24-2012 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD