GB to ICS to GB Battery Comparison

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone updated from GB to ICS then gone back to GB?

If so, any comparison of battery usage/issues and did that resolve any problems associated with ICS?

I'm contemplating going back to GB, but to be honest, there are a "few" things l do like about ICS.. but not sure if that is enough to keep me from going back...

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
So nobody had reverted back to GB from ICS?

Wow, with all the complaints I'd have expected quite a few of us to have reverted back to GB..

Anyone? Bueller...........Bueller...........Bueller?

danielabcd985

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I haven't gont back to GB yet but I want to. Can you please guide me on how to do that ? I have the Sprint Samsung EPIC 4G touch. I went from stock GB to stock ICS and want to go back to stock GB in order to install a custom ICS ROM.

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I haven't gont back to GB yet but I want to. Can you please guide me on how to do that ? I have the Sprint Samsung EPIC 4G touch. I went from stock GB to stock ICS and want to go back to stock GB in order to install a custom ICS ROM.

Here you are. I just did this today and it was very, very simple. Just follow the steps and you'll be on your way back to GB!

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

I decided to use the EL29 to preserve my data
(SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED_NODATA-oc-sfx.exe [Mirror1 / Mirror2 / Mirror3 / Mirror4 / Multi / Torrent] (PRESERVE user data).. instead of doing a complete refresh..

Install this file and the drivers, then follow the steps to open the ODIN program and boot your phone up in "download mode" then connect to the USB and off you go.

Took all of about 8 minutes to complete.

Good luck to you..

Reactions: danielabcd985

travis41992

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
i know ICS is ice cream sandwich but what is GB? I recently downloaded the latest update and my battery life duration has significantly DROPPED. I need to go back to the one i had before 4.0.4 how do i do this??

danielabcd985

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!!.. I will start doing that right away. Do you have any similar suggestions of installing a custom ICS ROM after going back to stock GB? I heard from someone that I need to have a custom recovery or something on GB to be able to install a custom ICS? Do I need to root the device to be able to do that ? well I am a real noob to all this .. so please bear with my silly questions :)

danielabcd985

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
i know ICS is ice cream sandwich but what is GB? I recently downloaded the latest update and my battery life duration has significantly DROPPED. I need to go back to the one i had before 4.0.4 how do i do this??

Well, if you updated to ICS recently, then the one you had before was most probably GB i.e. Ginger Bread. But you would want to confirm that before you follow the process Rockdog97 has posted before which would take you back to GB from ICS.

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
After all the problems I had with the ICS update, I went back to Gingerbread el29.
I just followed the guide here in the forum it was easy
. My wifi now works, battery life is great and phone is stupid fast. That ICS update was a disaster. Hopefully they will recode it and fix everything. But I went all day without having to juice up my phone back on gingerbread.

spark957

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with blue. I just reverted back to el29 and i have way better battery life and it is stupid fast. That ics update was crap.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

jeminar

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
yes -- I've done it twice on a samsung galaxy note. First time was because I immediately realised that ICS was not worth having to charge a second time; and the second time (of upgrading to ICS) was just stupid, because it had the same battery impact.

The difference in the battery usage was phenomenal -- on GB, I use it carefree all day (I'm a heavy user), and end most days with 30%+ in the remains. On ICS, even after deleting applications that I think might be heavy users, I can't go a full day without a recharge for about an hour.

When I go back to GB (which is a complete reformat, remember, so all apps needs to be reconfigured), I get the 70% usage per day back. There is no doubt in my mind that ICS drains the battery a lot more than GB -- in my mind it's a 2x difference.

For disclosure -- I am a very heavy user and I have two mods which might also have an impact: (1) I use an oversize battery (+50% more mAh), and (2) I use Juice Defender Ultimate with extremely conservative settings.
Therefore, it's possible that my awful and repeatedly poor battery experience with ICS is because (i) the battery mod is incompatible which seems unlikely or (ii) Juice Defender can't do the same controls on ICS.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Echoing other posts. I haven't done any "scientific" tests, but battery last much longer running Gingerbread. Admittedly, there are a few nice features with ICS, but none compelling enough for me to put up with the shorter battery life. Would be curious to know what the battery life is running on Jellybean versus Gingerbread.

AndroidJon

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I think i'm about to take the jump with you all and go back to GB. ICS FI27 has really killed my battery life...so much that my battery now has a bulge and the phone dies within minutes. I'm afraid that getting a new battery will only temporarily help the issue and i'll have to buy another battery again. Something is seriously up with the latest update. On the sprint forums I see a lot of users complaining about epic touch phones screens flickering before turning off (same issues i'm having). Users are saying buying a new battery helps, but I can help but feel it's a huge coincidence that they all have this issue after FI27.

I'm a little nervous about doing all this but I'll follow the steps here are go back to GB. I miss great battery life. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this thread. I'll post an update on my GB update soon.