Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just rolled back to el29 gingerbread. No more issues! Installed all my stuff and I am a happy camper. Phone is super smooth. Screw that ICS..for now!

sblair1269

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if Samsung even really knows. You see how fast they fixed the search issue with the S3. Feel like the redheaded step child.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly don't hink it's Sammy's doing on this one....think it's Sprints addons and stuff. The base 4.0 is rock solid on this phone from what I hear. It's Sprint's version thats messed.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Honestly don't hink it's Sammy's doing on this one....think it's Sprints addons and stuff. The base 4.0 is rock solid on this phone from what I hear. It's Sprint's version thats messed.

No its sammies fault. The modem is crap which is all samsung. The kernel drops wifi which is also samsung. Bluetooth wont pair which also samsung. Sprint only added bloatware and did basic testing. If you want to blame anyone point the blame at samsung for there piss poor testing and then point the finger at sprint for not doing carrier testing. It was a epic fail on both sides.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
No its sammies fault. The modem is crap which is all samsung. The kernel drops wifi which is also samsung. Bluetooth wont pair which also samsung. Sprint only added bloatware and did basic testing. If you want to blame anyone point the blame at samsung for there piss poor testing and then point the finger at sprint for not doing carrier testing. It was a epic fail on both sides.

I didn't realize that that was Sammy's. I resind my comment.

Coop1979

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Funny enough, I made an appointment for service yesterday and took it in, but they wouldn't even take my phone to the back to do any testing on it. Tech said that everyone in their office who uses the GS2 is having the same problems, and that Sprint asked them to have customers contact Samsung to make sure the issue is logged. You call Samsung and, of course, this is "the first" they've heard about it.

There is no fix in the pipeline. The Sprint techs did not have any new bulletins yesterday afternoon when I was in there. They were resorting to Googling to try and find out how to fix it. I told them I wasn't going to sit there while they Googled.

What a cluster.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
In the meantime, for those that are willing to flash software to your phone, roll back to Gingerbread or flash an AOSP ICS ROM like Cyanogenmod 9 or AOKP. AOSP ROMs will change your world, and show you how ICS software is supposed to be written.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
In the meantime, for those that are willing to flash software to your phone, roll back to Gingerbread or flash an AOSP ICS ROM like Cyanogenmod 9 or AOKP. AOSP ROMs will change your world, and show you how ICS software is supposed to be written.

I am VERY tempted to try it, but am afraid of bricking my phone. :( Never done anything like that before and not certain if I could. :'( (plus I cannot afford a replacement if it bricks) :-$

sbutcher

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
+1 On the SD Card Removal.

My Battery stats clearly showed that my phone was not entering a deep sleep. Removed my SD CARD last night and as of right now, I am still on the same charge and holding strong. Dramatic improvement and the phone is now entering Deep sleep....I will reformat the SOB and add it back in to see if it improves. However, Wifi is still an issue and likely won't be addressed until a fix of some sort is made available. for the time being, I turn wifi on/off manually to avoid any additional battery drain.

One step at a time I suppose.....

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am VERY tempted to try it, but am afraid of bricking my phone. :( Never done anything like that before and not certain if I could. :'( (plus I cannot afford a replacement if it bricks) :-$

I understand. It's not for everyone. Hopefully they get a fix out sooner rather than later. The Epic 4G Touch is actually on its way to Boost Mobile, and new ICS software builds are leaking for the phone on that network (I actually have the Boost version of the E4GT modem on my phone as I type this). It's possible that they are working on a fix for some of the known issues as part of that process that can be applied as another software update for Sprint customers.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just flashed to stock ics to my epic 4g touch, to see what all the problems were. OH. MY. GOSH. How could they even send this update out?
I called Sprint, they acknowledged the issue. The rep had me call a store. The first store I called would roll back to El29. The workers at the second (and both so far are corporate stores) would factory reset, saying that is all their tecs could do. Wow. Okay. When I called the third store, the guy was nice. We had a long talk about this and samsung being crappy, but they could not help me.
The forth store. The guy said they a third party, so they cannot do anything. However, the guy did say he decided to root after the ics ota and is now running Caulkin lol. (Did I spell that right?)
So Sprint is generally useless, since the ONE store that will roll back is the farthest away. Lovely.

Edit: The rep said a patch was on the way. Didnt say when it would be here. Being Samsung, it could be awhile...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand. It's not for everyone. Hopefully they get a fix out sooner rather than later. The Epic 4G Touch is actually on its way to Boost Mobile, and new ICS software builds are leaking for the phone on that network (I actually have the Boost version of the E4GT modem on my phone as I type this). It's possible that they are working on a fix for some of the known issues as part of that process that can be applied as another software update for Sprint customers.

Let me ask you this....how difficult is it and how risky? AND what build is the "best" (most stable and "safest") I want to do more research, buit i need a direction.....

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I personally find it easy, but I have many years experience working with computers, which helped a lot when it came to learning how to root, flash and modify Android phones. I'm no software programmer, and I've barely ever used Linux on a PC (which Android is based on), but many principals are universal, and it helps to have a good foundation of working with files and a computer.

A good first venture into AOSP would be with Cyanogenmod 9. It's still in the alpha stages, and it's not yet "officially" supported by Cyanogenmod, but I've been running the latest available version for awhile now and it's very stable with very few bugs. Less bugs than the official Samsung ICS release from my point of view.

To get familiar with the process, I highly suggest checking out qbking77's YouTube channel and watch his Epic 4G Touch videos on rooting and flashing.

Here's an example of his video on installing CM9: How to Install the CyanogenMod 9 Alpha ICS Rom on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - YouTube

This video is a bit old now, and some of it doesn't apply anymore, but the main principals are there. You can also watch some of his other videos, such as how to root ICS FF18 that displays how to use sfhub's Odin One-Click package to root the stock ICS system.

Here is the link to the CM9 Alpha release at XDA that you can read up on if you care to: [ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The rollback was easy just follow the instructions and watch the video on Youtube.
I did it during that epic thunderstorm we had here near Philly last night. It was fast and easy. Just dont do the preserve your data rollback. save your stuff and then wipe the phone clean. You will be glad you did. Added bonus: It leaves your phone rooted so you can have some fun if you want. Or you can remove the root even easier. Do it!!!

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
got my phone flashed back to GB....took it into a Sprint store and was done in less than 30 minutes....got most of my apps back up and running....Sprint tech said there was another ICS update after initial one....told him I never got that one....he said there been many customers coming in to get their phones rolled back to GB.....suggested to me to wait awhile for ICS if it ever comes out again....Hahahaha! :D

JN5586

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Wish I would have waited now. I already bought an evo 4g lte after all this ics nonsense. Still have my s2 sitting around though, not sure what I want to do. I don't like sense nor the design or layout of the phone. Experiencing a lot of bugs too. Should have known to stay away from htc with all the issues I had with my g1.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I personally find it easy, but I have many years experience working with computers, which helped a lot when it came to learning how to root, flash and modify Android phones. I'm no software programmer, and I've barely ever used Linux on a PC (which Android is based on), but many principals are universal, and it helps to have a good foundation of working with files and a computer.

A good first venture into AOSP would be with Cyanogenmod 9. It's still in the alpha stages, and it's not yet "officially" supported by Cyanogenmod, but I've been running the latest available version for awhile now and it's very stable with very few bugs. Less bugs than the official Samsung ICS release from my point of view.

To get familiar with the process, I highly suggest checking out qbking77's YouTube channel and watch his Epic 4G Touch videos on rooting and flashing.

Here's an example of his video on installing CM9: How to Install the CyanogenMod 9 Alpha ICS Rom on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - YouTube

This video is a bit old now, and some of it doesn't apply anymore, but the main principals are there. You can also watch some of his other videos, such as how to root ICS FF18 that displays how to use sfhub's Odin One-Click package to root the stock ICS system.

Here is the link to the CM9 Alpha release at XDA that you can read up on if you care to: [ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

I am pretty tech savy myself. Not in software though. I have build my share of custom desktops and such. I am going to research it and see. Any "hints or tricks" you can pass along? Any "must do's"?

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Jay, I just watched the Youtube vid. It is not difficult. The only thing though, is that it requires GB. AND I am on the Sprint 4.0. So, I need to switch to GB somehow. Suggestions? :-\