Have you received the OTA (not manual) ICS update recently?

Chuck Shine

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you received the OTA (not manual) ICS update recently? If so, when and how were you notified? Lots of posts are indicating the OTA has stopped, so let us know if you have evidence to dispute this. Thanks.

crs117

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how many still do not have it but i still do not have it in orlando and july is running out. I would expect them to push more updates out over the weekend to preserve business wireless during the week, but still no ics on my s2.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Me and Dark_Knight2 already posted it was cancelled. There is nothing to dispute. Everyone was reporting issues so Sprint & Samsung decided to pull the update.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

crs117

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
So that means the very reason I purchased the phone in december, which was a promised feature to appear by end of 1st quarter is not going to happen, or they are going to fix the update and then post it. If the first i am super super pissed.

I waited to purchase a phone till ics was either on it or a promised upgrade. To me that was the selling point.

Please let me know which it is. You show you are running jellybean on my model phone, so are we waiting till a next update or is manual/custom roms the solution.

Thanks

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So that means the very reason I purchased the phone in december, which was a promised feature to appear by end of 1st quarter is not going to happen, or they are going to fix the update and then post it. If the first i am super super pissed.

I waited to purchase a phone till ics was either on it or a promised upgrade. To me that was the selling point.

Please let me know which it is. You show you are running jellybean on my model phone, so are we waiting till a next update or is manual/custom roms the solution.

Thanks

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=189536

[OTA][FF18][Official] EL29 to FF18 Update.zip

If you want ics so bad then do a manual update. Problem solved. What is peoples obcession with an OTA vs Manual Update? Its the exact same update.zip.

Reactions: thenameisnigel

crs117

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
My issue is not ota vs manual (sorry dont have a micro sd card which i am about to go purchase), its the simple issue of why did sprint produce a buggy port, they don't seem to want to deal with, especially after such a long time?

Is a new os update in the future ics or, perhaps a 4.1 update (which provides some nice security fixes) with proper 4.0+ bug fixes? Or is Sprint going to leave us s2 customers with a screwy update? Even if people do not get upset about lack of ics, my issue is failure to produce a proper update that was a promised feature in december of last year when i bought the phone?

I didn't really want a link to a buggy update, i would prefer sprint treat us s2 customers properly with a supported update. Personally i dont care about touchwiz as much as i do chrome and other new 4.0+ features. If i wanted a buggy rom i would have downloaded any of the other roms that seem to have the same issues without the sprint bloat.

Thanks

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My issue is not ota vs manual (sorry dont have a micro sd card which i am about to go purchase), its the simple issue of why did sprint produce a buggy port, they don't seem to want to deal with, especially after such a long time?

Is a new os update in the future ics or, perhaps a 4.1 update (which provides some nice security fixes) with proper 4.0+ bug fixes? Or is Sprint going to leave us s2 customers with a screwy update? Even if people do not get upset about lack of ics, my issue is failure to produce a proper update that was a promised feature in december of last year when i bought the phone?

I didn't really want a link to a buggy update, i would prefer sprint treat us s2 customers properly with a supported update. Personally i dont care about touchwiz as much as i do chrome and other new 4.0+ features. If i wanted a buggy rom i would have downloaded any of the other roms that seem to have the same issues without the sprint bloat.

Thanks

Well considering that the SGS2 on tmobile and At&t are super buggy as well (Way way way worse then sprints OTA) and they havent pulled there update yet. I think this was a final product and they have no intention of getting us Jellybean.

HarryKipper

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I live in Melbourne and got my OTA update about a week ago. It was horrible until I followed DK2's guide to do a factory reset. Now it is mostly good but is sucking my Extended battery at an alarming rate and the phone gets very warm to hot. I turn wifi off now which helps some but just this morning I took it off the charger and watched it drop from 100 to 96 in about 4-5 minutes of fiddling with my settings. I want to go back to GB where I was getting 2 days out of my extended battery. Thank you Dark Night 2 for you helpful guide.

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
Samsung Galaxy S? ll, Epic? 4G Touch
Color: Black

Black
White

360 view | Gallery | Video
Specs
Bluetooth profiles

Bluetooth 3.0
Memory

1GB Ram 16GB ROM up to 32GB micro SD card
Battery information

1800 mAh
Dimensions

2.7? x 5.1? x 0.38?
Display

4.52? full touchscreen-super AMOLED plus
Operating system

Android 4.0:mad:
Processor

1.2 GHz Dual core, Exynos, 1200 MHz processor
Talk time

8.7 hours
Weight

4.6 oz
What's in the box

1800 mAh Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery
AC Phone Charger
Data cable

Super thin, super fast, super sweet

Buy one, get more free

Why it rocks: The legendary entertainment abilities of the Samsung Epic 4G are now available in a super-thin design. Loaded with a crisp oversized screen, dual cameras, a speedy processor and optional mobile hotspot ? the only thing the Epic 4G Touch is slim on is size.

Who will love it: The speed demon and multimedia master will love this perfect, portable entertainment powerhouse. Immerse your eyes in the rich color display, browse the web at lightning-fast 4G speeds and snap bright photos on the go. Connect and share your HD content to your TV or computer or get face time with loved ones via video chat.

Important plan and coverage info

Key features

Android 4.0:-*:-*:(
4G
3G
Wi-Fi
Entertainment
GPS Navigation
Messaging (Email & text)
Apps & social networking
Web
Pictures
Mobile Hotspot
Sprint Zone
Sprint ID
Video
Calendar
Direct Connect?

Reviews (990)

BuzzAboutWireless
BuzzAboutWireless
44 stars
CNET
CNET
4.0 stars
See video

null
redd_libra
4 stars

null
djgaris
4 stars

Share on facebook Share on twitter More Sharing Services

Coverage for this device

Sprint 4G (WiMAX) is available in select cities and not available in your area. Learn more about my coverage.

Coverage Map

Bentonville, AR 72712
See coverage
Video (5)
Video Thumbnail

Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch Video: Overview
Your price to start a new line of service
Color:
Regular price
$499.99
2-yr Agreement

Instant Savings

- $350.00
Mail-in Rebate via Reward Card

- $50.00
Your price:
$99.99
Quantity
Add to cart

See all devices

Free shipping for new lines of service and upgrades. You'll get it in 2-5 business days.
Reserve in store
Save even more
Sell back any old phone and get up to $300 with Buyback.
Launch Buyback
Start Buyback
Save $36 with FREE activation on a new line of service

For a limited time, we're waiving the $36 activation fee - only for customers who order a new line of service online.
You might also like...
If you like this device, these devices offer similar features.

HTC EVO? 4G LTE
Device Image
$199.99

Samsung Epic? 4G
Device Image
$99.99

lizardking13

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just received the update notification about five minutes ago, so clearly it hasn't been cancelled. I am debating whether to update or not because of all of the battery life and wifi issues that I have been reading about.

I've attached the update notification screen...

Reactions: Chuck Shine

spark957

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got the update ill let u kno after i use it.. I can tell you that i did the manual update and it sucked. But the official one I just received uses alot less battery from the OS..and its all around alot better no issues so far

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

ready2rise

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Me and Dark_Knight2 already posted it was cancelled. There is nothing to dispute. Everyone was reporting issues so Sprint & Samsung decided to pull the update.

I disagree. Right around the time the post was made about sprint discontinuing the update due to issues, I did indeed stop receiving the notice that an update was available. And when I went to manually check it says that my system was up to date or whatever. Now, the last couple days I have began to receive the notice again so I wouldn't be so sure that they pulled the plug.

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they began to send the update again. Woke up this morning and it said my phone was ready for the Android 4.0.4 upgrade.

I quickly pressed the "Hells NO!" Bottom.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It was either cancelled and reinstated or wasn't cancelled (I have absolutely NO idea which). All I do know is that I did the manual install on the release day and my wife just got the OTA message an hour ago. She's not installing it.

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Today my phone very slow and it drain may battery with in 2 hours. Is it better to update or don't

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Read the forums and all around the Internet and decide if this update is worth it.

I personally have declined the update. This was a disaster.