Have you received the OTA (not manual) ICS update recently?

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I received the update friday. I wanted to give it the weekend before I responded. Battery life which is the most important point I am seeing seems to be a little worse but not amazingly so. It could also be that ive been tinkering more than usual.

Things I love
(WiFi works better!)
(New battery indicatior shows percent! can finally get rid of aftermarket guy)
(switching between screens seems smoother/faster)

Things I hate
(battery life seems to be a little poorer)

I waited for the OTA and did not root. I know most of you guys have rooted and been running ICS for a while but you know what I dont mind waiting, makes it all worth while (thats what i keep telling myself)

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
any one who has not gotten it....try this....if you have sprint try this. Another member posted this on the sprint forum. I did it to both of my phone's today and it worker perfect. Go to settings... App mgr... All programs...... Google framework. Clear cashed and Data!Go back to home screen..... Go to settings..... Check software update..... Hit Samsung Software Update.. From Sprint tech... This worked for me!! Good luck!

Reactions: shortyjacobs

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got the OTA this morning. Very quick...maybe 15 minutes.
No issues.
I do miss not having Contacts on the Phone Dialer...it's now a menu item.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Just got the update 8:10 am this morning gambled and updated so far the only difference I see is a few Icons Contacts and Home icons, I went through all the apps on phone and notice a few I took off like email that now won't connect to Yahoo but that's ok because I have the Yahoo app installed, the only app that does not work so far is Deer Hunter African Safari so I uninstalled it. It is still early with ICS will monitor for battery usage etc. and post any problems.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Got it yesterday afternoon. Phone has been having some awful battery problems as of late, even prior to updating. Last week I was at the local pub with a friend, left the house with a 100% full battery came back 5 hours later with 10% remaining and used my phone sparingly. I had everything turned off (no WiFi, GPS, Auto-Sync) and checked my phone to kill tasks every 20 or so minutes. I refuse to upgrade to an extended battery because of the bulge that it adds to the sleek design.

So after updating the battery still sucks. Took my phone off the charger at approximately 7:33 AM with only wi-fi turned on. Arrived at work at 7:45 AM and checked my Facebook, Tweetdeck, caught up on scores and have been listening to ESPN Radio for about an hour and now listening to Music with Wi-Fi still on. My battery is now at 24% and its 11:00 AM.

I'm thinking about just buying a new battery for the phone but I'm going to let it completely drain to 0% before I charge it back to 100%, a few times to see if that conditions it. Prior to the update if I listened to the radio or music on my phone from the time I arrived at work it would be at about 30% around 3:00 PM.

nottabrat

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So it appears that no one has received the OTA ICS update in the past several days. Wonder if and when Sprint will continue it. Any clues?

I received the OTA update in the first week of July. I have two SGS2's.

The first one, which immediately developed the infamous "Charging Paused, Input Voltage too High" was bought back when they were first released on Sprint. The first phone with the "charging bug" was replaced last week at no cost after visiting the Sprint store, where they recommended replacement, but since there was no damage to the phone and it worked okay other than the bug, Sprint quickly and happily replaced it for me. This is why I love Sprint. And yes I have the insurance but did no thave to file a claim. I followed their directions and in less than 24 hours I had a replacement which I was able to simply activate myself. Very little fuss. A big boon to getting what you need with customer service is to NOT give the 'tude' that I hear so many people do on the phone and in person... Give them the facts without attitude and make everyone's life as peaceful possibly.. Sugar not vinegar.. Anyway...
The good news was that I know the phone was okay before the OTA ICS update, but afterwards the phone would not shut off completely unless I removed the battery. If I just inserted the battery, the phone thought it was plugged into a USB jack and would tell me it was charging and go from a blank screen to a charging BATTERY icon just like when you turn it off, and plug it in the USB port. That was the other strange symptom.

So as a test, I flashed it back to GB EL29 and of course the error message went away, however it still would not stay turned off. Since I had never dropped my phone or gotten it near water, I can only surmise that something in the flashing of the firmware did something to the chipset that couldn't be "unwritten", but I'm not a programmer so I can only hypothesize. I flashed it back to the ICS stock OTA and shipped it back after receiving my replacement. Also, almost every post that read was from people with the same charging issue as I had, and they had all bought their phones right at or immediately after release of the SGS2...

My replacement has GB EL29 and I'm happy with that and there has been no update, nor do I want one unless it is JellyBean and it is fully tested. There is no need to upgrade for something as ridiculous as facial recognition, which I defeated in less than 5 minutes using a friends iPhone to take a picture of myself, and hold it up to the camera. It unlocked just the same...lol There is no infrared - heat sensing technology that tells the phone you are human instead of a picture...

I added a second line to replace my home phone for everyone to use about 6 months after I purchased the first phone. That phone's upgrade seemed to be bug free except for eating the battery in about 4 hours of idle time non-use, so there might be a slightly different chipset. If that is the case, that would explain a lot. Firmware revs occur all the time and the slightest change to a chip that is not fully tested can have these major flaws. But I usually keep it plugged in for that reason now. I did the factory reset, etc. and the only app installed on it is Ken Magic's Solitaire.

In as much as I really want the SGS3 but have read conflicting reports that it only works when roaming, I might hold off on purchasing that one...

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am trying to understand why I would want GSIII, I have the GSII and just got ICS and will probably get Jelly Beans soon (hope). I don't care about the better camera, I don't play games, the speed of the GSII is acceptable, actually I like the phone a lot. Does the .2" bigger screen turn me on, duh? Think I will just site back and wait for GSIV. Had a good day with the battery, although not sure I a ready to stop carrying around an extra battery. Never bought into getting the Bubba Battery. :D

PS gone all day after the update and not one problem, even using the photo ID security. Works pretty fast and I will start asking everyone to try and turn my phone on with their face. I am afraid to ask Ronald McDonald or Bozo, because I am afraid it will let them in.

Reactions: ingodwefunk

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Wolfiered1, you are funny. Got my update today, and I'm not having any issues besides decrease in battery life. The updated Web browser is another story. With this new browser, i can no longer DL some of my non market files. Instead of the file downloading, It will download a file that shows null.bin. Wtf does that mean? I guess I'll give Dolphin browser a go.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Wolfiered1, you are funny. Got my update today, and I'm not having any issues besides decrease in battery life. The updated Web browser is another story. With this new browser, i can no longer DL some of my non market files. Instead of the file downloading, It will download a file that shows null.bin. Wtf does that mean? I guess I'll give Dolphin browser a go.

..and if that doesnt work, try out Chrome. :) So far that is the only bright spot in updating to ICS.

SLowrAM

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I got the update Sunday 8/5 and that day my battery went from full to about dead (recharged before that happened) in 4 hours. Prior to update I could go 48 hours so this is a drastic immediate change due to the update. I powered off/on my phone a couple times in hopes this would reset something and improve battery life (also turned on 4g then back off as I wondered if it was actually on with the battery life I was getting). That seemed to help, or just battery life improves after initial update as the next day my battery just lasted through the day. Still this is 1/2 the battery life I had prior to update and is very disappointing as with very little use the phone now asks to be connected to a charger after 16 hours and has me wondering how long if heavily used.
I did switch to the ics native interface via sprintid program and choosing myid.
One fix/change I've not seen mentioned on here is my Music Genre tag couldn't be read by most music applications as the Samsung/Android API would return the song name versus the genre. Fortunately the update fixed that so I can go back to playing songs by genre in any music application (including Google's Play Music) whereas in past I had to use (only a few on market) players that read genre natively versus using the API (was using PowerAmp).
I've also read and HOPE the gps issues are fixed (haven't tested yet), in past I would have to power cycle the phone to get the GPS to work in applications like Google Navigator.
All told I'm a big fan of ICS enjoying the native experience via MyID, liking it much better - especially love how it easily creates/uses folders and ability to update bottom locked launcher applications. Also thrilled music genre tag is fixed as that drove me nuts as I have a LOT of music on my device and usually chose to play music by genre. I like the new lock screen with weather option (no longer need to use widgetlocker). Then if the GPS now works without having to power cycle I guess it is worth 1/2 battery life but don't understand why unless it's just Android OS uses more battery now. I hope someone figures out a fix for the battery sucking now.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
tried droidweasel's suggestions and it worked....well as far as it downloading the update. But, I still get the adroid with exclamation mark, even after doing again. So third time was not a charm. I give up and will eventually just manually do it, onece i see people are having less problems with it.

dchamp316

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I woke up to some type of update two days ago. I thought it was ics but I didnt see any difference after the update. says im still on ginger. idk

b0bbY

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got to work about 15 mins ago...and my ICS OTA update just finished....I run GO launcher and GO SMS Pro...I HATE touch whiz.....looks like an iphone. and I dont like the pear...er apple. totally different UI. its updating some apps now. but it looks pretty kick ass. I really like how they changed the transitions. They seem very smooth and things seem to be moving a lil better. I'll report on battery life later. I can usually get through an entire 10hr work day and have between 35-50% life left. I thought about it for about 15 mins before i decided skrew it im updating after hearing about all the nitemares....guess we will see.....

LHugo

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Received the second request to upgrade (first failed to install) this am. Battery seems to be draining quicker. Still have yet to see any "new" gimmicks, other than the face unlock and calendar sync; which for me is BIG! Love to hear how to tweak this to run smoother...

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My wife said to me, "Hey something is different about my phone after some update" last night. I looked at it and she got the ICS 4.0.4 OTA update. Some of the menu's look different, didn't have time to play with it any. I assume she got the update sometime yesterday or the night before. I'm going to play with it this weekend and see how it goes. She wasn't having any issue's so far.

Dortch

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I received the "android system update" last night, for it was on my screen this am. I have not had the phone 3 week before receiving this update. I thought is was truly just an update and not the ICS changeover. So far so good...will monitor battery life and see if most of the programs are working correctly. I have not done a factor reset, pulled out the battery or even shut it down yet
One question: How do I get rid of the redundant "Swipe screen to unlock" every time I turn it on? With GB, even though there was not an offical "lock," I had to swipe, so I am not understanding the logic here.

omahawildcat

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The only real pronlem i have is the lag wit the keyboard i did a hard rest after i upgraded

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

So far, my email and bluetooth pairing doesn't work. I wouldn't upgrade if I were you. Phone opens up more unused apps using up resources and there are no benefits.

SivadTheTerrible

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
OTA update received on 8/6. Waited until 8/8 to install after backing up everthing and removing some unwanted apps. I'm generally pleased with ICS.

Pros:

1. Screen Transition much smoother/faster
  2. GPS seems to be improved
  3. Lock Screen Improved for my situation - Use Third Party (Buisness Required) Encyption/Security App
  4. Camera functionality is improved

Cons:

1. Had to Re-Pair all my Bluetooth Devices
  2. Tilt Functionality - Letter/Vertical screen orientation transition to Landscape/Horizontal is VERY sensitive. Screen flips at proverbial "drop of hat"

Too Early To Tell

1. Battery Life seems equal to Gingerbread
  2. WiFi connectivity seems equal to Gingerbread
  3. There seems to be an issue with Notification Sounds - I'm turing off email account notifications and I'm still getting notified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol